Splitting the championship match of a tournament

t_pierce

JMAC
Silver Member
Let me know out there what you think about playing all the way through a tournament and splitting the championship on a double elimination tournament and the winner of the winner side being the one wanting to split the money. Seems pretty stupid to me but i witnessed it this weekend at a big tournament. Also if a tournament is split i think the match should still be played for everyone that stayed to watch it will get to see atleast who won the tournament. Let me know what you think out there.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
If its past closing time, there is no title at stake, no people invested in the match (sponsors, streamers, etc. side betters don't count) and both players want to split, let them split. If one of those conditions is not met, make them play it out.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It all depends on the the time of the final. If it's late at night and the players have a long drive to get home. I do not blame them for wanting to split.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If the tournament had money added and/or paid admission, I would not
allow a split in the finals. If they refused to play....no prize money.

If the money is just the entry fees, deals are allowed...imo

t_pierce

JMAC
Silver Member
There was $5,000 added to the tournament and the two calcutta buyers didnt want a split but the players did.

PoolJunkie216

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inexcusable to split unless an actual emergency. I for one would never accept an offer to split as I find it to be a waste of time to have gotten that far & not play it out.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Bovine excrement.

(Again, unless it was really late, no sponsors, etc...those circumstances I can understand)

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen numerous splits in local tournaments. Usually it's due to the very late hour. Who wants to start playing the finals at 3, 4, even 5 AM?? This is the challenge of running one-day tournaments.

PoolJunkie216

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen numerous splits in local tournaments. Usually it's due to the very late hour. Who wants to start playing the finals at 3, 4, even 5 AM?? This is the challenge of running one-day tournaments.

Either start it earlier or tough it out as you knew what you potentially signed up for when you agreed to play the tournament.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me know out there what you think about playing all the way through a tournament and splitting the championship on a double elimination tournament and the winner of the winner side being the one wanting to split the money. Seems pretty stupid to me but i witnessed it this weekend at a big tournament. Also if a tournament is split i think the match should still be played for everyone that stayed to watch it will get to see atleast who won the tournament. Let me know what you think out there.

This is one of the reasons I always say---to make first and second place close to the same amount of money. Take money away from the first place prize money, then pay out more towards the end of the payouts.

Okay...go a head and bash me again.:)

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
This is one of the reasons I always say---to make first and second place close to the same amount of money. Take money away from the first place prize money, then pay out more towards the end of the payouts.

Okay...go a head and bash me again.:)

Good idea but the players do this themselves.If the difference between first and second is to great the players can chop but still play for say 50 or 100?.This only works if the players want to play though.

Even threatening to take the money away wont stop players from making a deal.You can force them to play but if they have made a deal before the match then the match may be very poorly played.

All this being said,I like to see them play the finals.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Either start it earlier or tough it out as you knew what you potentially signed up for when you agreed to play the tournament.

I'd like to start earlier but I'm not the TD and can't control that.

The tournaments I'm referring to don't have paying spectators or paying sponsors (besides the room). So I don't see the issue if the two finalists decide to split rather than get home at dawn.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
The split only works if all parties are in agreement. Auction, sponsors, online show, etc.

I think it's ok if there is not a Title attached. Texas Open Champion etc. If it's just for the cash then I don't see a problem with it, especially if playing it out will go into the wee hours of the morning.

We just had a split at the Super Bowl 9 Ball Open in Memphis. Everyone was on board with the split and it was still 1:30am when we finished. The winners bracket guy gave up $50 extra to the player with one loss. Not sure what they did on the auction.

Ray

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
Double elimination

If a calcutta is involved, the players should be required to play out the first set before they would be allowed to split. And do the calcutta buyers then split 1st and 2nd too? Not quite sure how that would work out...

I like to see the first set played anyway since the player winning the hotseat has to be beaten twice. I will split if they beat me the first set, and the hour is real late in normal weekly tournaments, but I doubt that I would split in a big tournament.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't have any issue with it.

Freddie

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I don't really see why we should care what two grown adults choose to do with their money (and time). I might be disappointed I can't watch them play, but I'll get over it. Plenty of pool to sweat out there.

I can see the point about Calcuttas. But just refund/prorate as needed.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to tournaments to compete much more than to win money. If the match was extremely late at a local tournament and I had to work the next day, I might consider it. If it was a serious multi day tournament with any sponsor, title, calcutta, etc., then I would never do it. I want to know if I would have won the tournament. I also do think it matters what 2 grown men do, especially if others have paid to watch, or have anything involved.

I do think it is a matter of integrity over inconvenience or ensuring the most money for each person. I am sure I would lose sometimes, but at least when I won, I would know it. When life becomes so much about money that you choose this over playing it out, it may be time to re-think what your doing in the first place. I know that others may not agree, and they certainly have their right to that opinion. I just can't see why I would even play a tournament if not to ultimately see who wins.

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
One other point to consider.Most time I prefer to play it out even if it is late and I have an early start.

Sometime 1 player wants to play and his/her opponent just wants to gtfo.In this case I will usually split even if I want to play.Sometimes you just have to make consecions to other players for the harmony of the game.