List of Living 200+ Runners

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, Huckster. I know Rico Diks is still with us, but what about Greg and Jack?

Also, can you give me just a little info on these players' runs, or more specifically, why you are confident that they definitely ran the 200? Did they tell you themselves?

I believe Pat Howie is no longer with us, and what a tremendous loss that is.

I have never heard of Bernie Schwartz... anyone else know anything?

Thanks,
Steve

Jack Hynes Circa 1994 ran 212 (may have been 215) in Akron Ohio I was present during the run he was trying to run 300 and on the second day popped off the 212 I'll never forget how it ended he got super straight on a ball after his next ball he was going to shoot rolled funny into the stack he loaded up force followed the OB cheating the pocket clipping the stack but the OB came back out of the pocket he was so irate that he took the object ball put it in his pocket and said he was going to throw it in the river.

Greg Fix circa 1992 was in a poolroom in PA and was told he ran 200 in there that day (second hand knowledge)

Bernie "The Hawk" Schwartz one of the best 9balls during the 70s (played as well as guys like Richie Florence,Pittsburgh Bill I,Hippy Jimmie, and It would not be a stretch to imagine that he was a 200 ball runner since he hailed from the New York area in the 60s 70s and he never missed.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
THE 2009 EUROPEAN POOL CHAMPIONSHIPS

14.1 Pool

Men

1st Dimitri Jungo
Switzerland

2nd Niels Feijen
Netherlands

3rd Oliver Ortmann
Germany

3rd Andreas Roschkowsky
Germany

Anyone who beats out these guys to win the 2009 European 14.1 championships is a suspect for 200+. I would add Dimitri Jungo.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Steve, assuming we are thinking of the same player, whose nickname was always "Stevie Wonder," his name is Steve Dobrowolski. not Steve Dobrowski.

He is number 16 on the current list of 200 ball runners.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Thanks Stu. I've never met him, or even seen him, so I appreciate the info.

I've confirmed with Stevie Moore that he has not yet run 200, so he's coming off the Possibles.

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Jack Hynes Circa 1994 ran 212 (may have been 215) in Akron Ohio I was present during the run he was trying to run 300 and on the second day popped off the 212 I'll never forget how it ended he got super straight on a ball after his next ball he was going to shoot rolled funny into the stack he loaded up force followed the OB cheating the pocket clipping the stack but the OB came back out of the pocket he was so irate that he took the object ball put it in his pocket and said he was going to throw it in the river.

Greg Fix circa 1992 was in a poolroom in PA and was told he ran 200 in there that day (second hand knowledge)

Bernie "The Hawk" Schwartz one of the best 9balls during the 70s (played as well as guys like Richie Florence,Pittsburgh Bill I,Hippy Jimmie, and It would not be a stretch to imagine that he was a 200 ball runner since he hailed from the New York area in the 60s 70s and he never missed.

Huckster,

Thanks for the funny story. Are Jack Hynes and Greg Fix still with us?

Btw, "Hippy Jimmie" - is that Jim Gottier?

- Steve

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the idea, Joey. I just might do something like that. At first I thought it wouldn't work, since this is a list of the living (and, well, that has a funny way of changing), but as long as I include an "as of" date it should be OK.

For something like that, I'll definitely need some more information on each player (approximate date of run, circumstances, location, etc). Once I get the names down, doing the research should be easier, I suspect.

Whatever I make, you've got some jelly coming... ;)

Thanks,
Steve

Steve -- JoeyA's idea and your positive reaction to it have made me wonder whether, for the purpose Joey mentioned, it might be nicer to have a list of everyone who has ever run 200, not just the living.

Straight pool is only 100 years old. The number of people who ran 200 or more in 14.1's early years is probably very small. Expanding your list to every player known to have accomplished the feat might not lengthen it out of reason. Obviously, some who did it long ago might not be known. And verification of the accomplishments of the dead might be difficult in some cases.

But your idea of an "as of" date on a list of the living hanging in pool halls leaves me kind of uneasy. Someone who accomplished the feat in 1950 but is still living would be on the list, but someone who did it within the last few years but also died recently would not be on the list. Supposed you "published" such a list in 2010. It might be unreasonable to expect such a list to be updated and re-published every year. Suppose you planned to update it every five years. Then someone who ran over 200 for the first time in 2012 but died in 2014 would never have his name on any of the lists going forward.

Many pool halls like to hang historical pictures or documents. I'd think a list of everyone known to have run 200 would be of more interest than a list of just living players who have run 200. It would add many well known names from the past, possibly adding luster-by-association to some of the lesser-known names from the present.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
George Pawelski of Racine has run over 200 7 times with a high of 269. I don't know about documentation but George told me this personally in answer to my question and I see no reason to doubt his word.

Dave Nelson

Dave: I met George yesterday. He came down to the Illinois Billiards Club with three guys and a girl. He is a very good guy. He was chatting about Johnny Ervolino and all the great players out east. He said all the good straight pool players came from out east... or the midwest because of Rockford, Illinois and Joe Diehl, Charlie Caccipaglia and those guys who taught a lot of players including Dallas West. I told him his name had just come up on the internet re 200 ball runners and he said "that was a long time ago". He said if I'm ever in Racine, he'd like to play some with me. Very nice guy. Unlike that other Racine instructor we both know.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Steve -- JoeyA's idea and your positive reaction to it have made me wonder whether, for the purpose Joey mentioned, it might be nicer to have a list of everyone who has ever run 200, not just the living.

Straight pool is only 100 years old. The number of people who ran 200 or more in 14.1's early years is probably very small. Expanding your list to every player known to have accomplished the feat might not lengthen it out of reason. Obviously, some who did it long ago might not be known. And verification of the accomplishments of the dead might be difficult in some cases.

But your idea of an "as of" date on a list of the living hanging in pool halls leaves me kind of uneasy. Someone who accomplished the feat in 1950 but is still living would be on the list, but someone who did it within the last few years but also died recently would not be on the list. Supposed you "published" such a list in 2010. It might be unreasonable to expect such a list to be updated and re-published every year. Suppose you planned to update it every five years. Then someone who ran over 200 for the first time in 2012 but died in 2014 would never have his name on any of the lists going forward.

Many pool halls like to hang historical pictures or documents. I'd think a list of everyone known to have run 200 would be of more interest than a list of just living players who have run 200. It would add many well known names from the past, possibly adding luster-by-association to some of the lesser-known names from the present.

I realize the imperfections of this system. In truth, if I ever finish the living list, I'll probably move on to the all-time and possibly market that one instead.

However, even just the living list is getting frustrating. It's bizarre to me that no one in the main forum can tell me what Keith's, Buddy's, Efren's, etc., high runs are. If I can't track down whether Buddy Hall has ever run 200, I have no idea how I would ever hope to track down whether, say, Louie Roberts' high run was over 200. (Perhaps a bad example, because maybe he was a super famous 14.1er; I'm really not sure.)

Anyway, your point is a good one and I'm sure I'll move in that direction once I finish the current list.

Thanks,
Steve

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tom vanover from baltimore won 9 straight maryland 9 ball titles he was a force in the 70s 80s and 90s he played every great player that came threw baltimore and beat most of them i know tom play sigel a bunch of times straight pool also richard riggie tom is still living still working and playing in his pool room in baltimore at 70 still plays the road players that come bye cigar tom did play alot of straight pool in his prime so maby he is one of the few

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I realize the imperfections of this system. In truth, if I ever finish the living list, I'll probably move on to the all-time and possibly market that one instead.

However, even just the living list is getting frustrating. It's bizarre to me that no one in the main forum can tell me what Keith's, Buddy's, Efren's, etc., high runs are. If I can't track down whether Buddy Hall has ever run 200, I have no idea how I would ever hope to track down whether, say, Louie Roberts' high run was over 200. (Perhaps a bad example, because maybe he was a super famous 14.1er; I'm really not sure.)

Anyway, your point is a good one and I'm sure I'll move in that direction once I finish the current list.

Thanks,
Steve

As to Buddy Hall, here's Jay Helfert's reply to a comment I made in a recent thread:

So it looks like Buddy should be on the list.

As to Keith, how about just sending a PM to JAM asking her to ask Keith and let you know.

As to Efren, surely someone could ask him directly the next time he is in the states. I remember a 141 at the 2000 U.S. Open (vs. Dallas West), but I've not heard of over 200.

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
As to Buddy Hall, here's Jay Helfert's reply to a comment I made in a recent thread:

So it looks like Buddy should be on the list.

As to Keith, how about just sending a PM to JAM asking her to ask Keith and let you know.

As to Efren, surely someone could ask him directly the next time he is in the states. I remember a 141 at the 2000 U.S. Open (vs. Dallas West), but I've not heard of over 200.

Thanks for the info on Buddy. I'm asking Jay for a little more detail, and hopefully he'll chime in on some other names.

I tried PMing JAM a few days ago, but her inbox is full. Anyway, it seems from a few different sources that Keith has not run 200, so he's been removed from the possibles as of yesterday.

I have a few people working on the filipinos, but not sure if they will pan out. I'm really hoping Mr. Helfert can help out with them.

- Steve

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Thanks for the info on Buddy. I'm asking Jay for a little more detail, and hopefully he'll chime in on some other names.

I tried PMing JAM a few days ago, but her inbox is full. Anyway, it seems from a few different sources that Keith has not run 200, so he's been removed from the possibles as of yesterday.

I have a few people working on the filipinos, but not sure if they will pan out. I'm really hoping Mr. Helfert can help out with them.

- Steve

If you're checking on the Asians, ask about Chao Fong-Pang, the legendary Taiwanese player who won two World 9-ball championships. I've heard second hand that he was also a superb 14.1 player.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sausage, I updated the list after I saw Marop's correction. I did indeed forget Mr. Butera. ;)

Running 100 one-handed is the sickest thing I've ever heard. Dick Leonard has run 100 with his opposite hand, which is just slightly below that on the insane-o-meter lol.

Any idea what Dick Leonard's (aka #### Leonard) high run is opposite handed? Does he have a 200+ run left-handed?

Fred

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Hi Runout. I'd be shocked if Tony ever ran 200. Back when the book came out and he was really playing, his high run was something like 126. I haven't heard much of him in recent years so if he didn't break 200 back then, I don't know if he'd have much of an opportunity to now.

Actually, how about Billy Aguerro, from the San Francisco area? I played him about a week straight when I was in my early 20s and can't remember winning even a single game. I was visiting a friend out there, and since he had to work during the days, he'd drop me off at Chalkers (I think?) and pick me up when he was done.

I told Billy straight up that I was a decent player, but not great, and that I was looking to lose $20 games all week. He was really cool about it and even though the bet was probably lower than he would have liked, he obliged. I probably lost about $200 in total but had a great time and learned a lot.

- Steve

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Bobby's post in the other thread got me thinking that maybe we should start a list, and see what we can come up with. Just add any names you can confirm to the bottom, with a new number, and I'll periodically adjust the alphabetization.

What I have so far is in the first post.

Any name with an asterisk is either because I can't confirm 100% that he has run over 200 or I can't confirm he is still alive.

I also have this list of possibles:

Abruzzo, John
Aguerro, Billy
Altomare, Chuck
Appleton, Darren
Babica, Radoslaw
Bandy, Mike
Boyes, Karl
Bryant, Charlie
Bustamante, Francisco
Carter, Jeff
Chavez, Ignacio
Costa, Ernie
Dunsmore, Bill
Fisher, Pete
Glass, Walter
Hall, Buddy
Heidrich, Dan
Herring, Earl
Jentsch, Dominick
Jungo, Dimitri
Kempter, Martin
Kiamco, Warren
Louie, Dan
Madenjian, Bob
Manalo, Marlon
Marrata, Mike
Mataya, Jimmy
Matushonek, Ed
McNally, Pat
Nacovski, Scotty
Orcullo, Dennis
Pagulayan, Alex
Reid, Jimmy
Reyes, Efren
Ruocco, Tommy
Sambajon, Santos
See, Huidji
Stalev, Evgeny
Stellman, Frank
Stepanov, Konstantin
Tascarella, Pete
Vanover, Tom
Wiggins, Larry

(most recently added:
Chuck Altomare
Billy Aguerro
Tom Vanover
Jimmy Reid
)

If anyone can confirm who on this list of possibles definitely has or definitely hasn't run 200, please also chime in.

If anyone can help with the Filipinos, Scandinavians, or Asians, that would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

Here's a few possibles

Shannon Daulton, and (Kid Delicious) - Danny Basovich