Tournament Bracket stacking

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,
So I played in a local (NON - Handicapped ) tournament last night that stacked the brackets by Fargo rating. The director set up his computer to match up the players with the highest Fargo from top to bottom. An example would be the top eight Fargo players ranged from 620-580. All those players played the closest player to there Fargo in the bracket. I would not really care if this policy was posted, but the tournament director hid it. Once confronted by me he admitted to doing this for the past year. He claimed to be protecting weaker players and trying to grow the tournament. There is something about rigging a tournament bracket that really does not sit well with me. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I wouldn't call it rigging if he is following the same system each tourney.

In a way you are playing a handicapped tourney.

He should make it known what he is doing.

I don't like it. What if you get a player in the tourney who should be a high Fargo rated player but he has no Fargo rate? He's gonna blow through the cream puffs.

Most of the league players I know have no Fargo rate.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He should make it known what he is doing.

Especially if there is a calcutta.

I played in a 32 player tournament in a tiny town once that had a calcutta and a known handicap where A players give up two games to a C player, and one to a B player, etc.

Found out after the calcutta was done, that the bracket was already set up and the top 8 players were seeded.

Total BS. He wasn't selling tickets to watch the tournament, so why would there be a desire to not let someone get a good draw.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,
So I played in a local (NON - Handicapped ) tournament last night that stacked the brackets by Fargo rating. The director set up his computer to match up the players with the highest Fargo from top to bottom. ...
You don't say whether it was double elimination or not. If it was single I'd guess that the winner of the bottom half has no chance in the final.

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I occasionally play a seeded bracket tourney. Scrambled in the high and low brackets but still basically 5 and under low and 6s up high bracket.Loser side totally random.Works well with great turnout but its a cheap entry and short races.But unannounced,I would be pissed.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,
So I played in a local (NON - Handicapped ) tournament last night that stacked the brackets by Fargo rating. The director set up his computer to match up the players with the highest Fargo from top to bottom. An example would be the top eight Fargo players ranged from 620-580. All those players played the closest player to there Fargo in the bracket. I would not really care if this policy was posted, but the tournament director hid it. Once confronted by me he admitted to doing this for the past year. He claimed to be protecting weaker players and trying to grow the tournament. There is something about rigging a tournament bracket that really does not sit well with me. Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

If he didn't disclose it, that's bullshit

If you have enough players, he should divide the top and bottom halves of players. Have each side play down to 2 players and cross over to play the top 4. We used to do this based on house handicaps. Guaranteed the bottom half gets half the payouts.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,
As a tournament director who has run tournaments for 23 years, we draw pills for completely random pairings, but I can see some reasoning for this TD’s decision to do it the way he does. Bottom line - it gives every player a virtually equally skilled opponent for their first match. I do agree there’s no reason he shouldn’t explain this reasoning to the players.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a tournament director who has run tournaments for 23 years, we draw pills for completely random pairings, but I can see some reasoning for this TD’s decision to do it the way he does. Bottom line - it gives every player a virtually equally skilled opponent for their first match. I do agree there’s no reason he shouldn’t explain this reasoning to the players.

So Chris I have no problem with that, if that is what advertised. The fact I asked and the T.D told me he did not need to explain that up front to anyone has me annoyed. This TD has a reputation for making the rules as he goes.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Chris I have no problem with that, if that is what advertised. The fact I asked and the T.D told me he did not need to explain that up front to anyone has me annoyed. This TD has a reputation for making the rules as he goes.
I understand, and it seems like this TD has some authority issues. Is he the owner/manager of the Poolroom as well? In my case, even though I am all of the above, I still welcome and encourage any and all feedback I get from our players, and I take it under consideration, or at least try to respectfully explain to them my reasoning for why I do it the way I do.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If he didn't disclose it, that's bullshit

If you have enough players, he should divide the top and bottom halves of players. Have each side play down to 2 players and cross over to play the top 4. We used to do this based on house handicaps. Guaranteed the bottom half gets half the payouts.

I agree....it’s bullshit

If he does it your way and is upfront about...I think it’s a good idea.