converting one-piece house cue to two-piece for travel

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
how difficult would this be?
what's a good way to do it?
how much might it cost?

thanks!

1 Difficulty ... Taking a house cue and cutting it into two pieces and joining it is one of the first cues a new cue maker will make.
They are called a SNEAKY PETE.

2 How ... read Chris Hightower's book on cue making and all will be reveled.

3 Cost ... I charge $100 plus materials to cut and join a house cue with a 3/8 x 10 pin ...
you provide the cue but that does not include any finish work other than sanding and sealing ...
to spray a finish it is another $75.
Changing the weight, custom bumper, any ring work, and inlays add extra cost.

You can find good used Sneaky Pete cues selling from $100 to $600 depending on the cue maker that did the work.

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 Difficulty ... Taking a house cue and cutting it into two pieces and joining it is one of the first cues a new cue maker will make.
They are called a SNEAKY PETE.

2 How ... read Chris Hightower's book on cue making and all will be reveled.

3 Cost ... I charge $100 plus materials to cut and join a house cue with a 3/8 x 10 pin ...
you provide the cue but that does not include any finish work other than sanding and sealing ...
to spray a finish it is another $75.
Changing the weight, custom bumper, any ring work, and inlays add extra cost.

You can find good used Sneaky Pete cues selling from $100 to $600 depending on the cue maker that did the work.

good stuff..thanks!

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only done 2 for people, similar to Willie.

One note: at no particular added expense you can do a little "tuning" (there's that darn word again! :wink: ) by choice of joint pin. Steel pin will add almost 1 ounce & move balance a little forward. G10 will be neutral/ practically same as original stick.

Simple butt collar can be used to add back length (1/4") lost to cut and facing, or add up to about 1/2" or so over original. Rubber bumper may or may not change balance a little depending on drilled hole depth, style.

etc.

smt

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'd chop it and throw away the shaft.
Never seen one that is straight .

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
All you have to do is look in the panel on the left under their name and see their "join date" - just as we can see that you have been here less than a month.
Just sayin'

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice way to enter the forum by calling out a 15 year veteran here who has always offered help and assistance to others.

Alan

Where is the rage over someone quoting prices? Isn't that like, rule number two for this forum?

I personally didn't realize price quotes were frowned upon here..sorry if I stepped on any toes soliciting this information, but I am grateful for the help!

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I'd chop it and throw away the shaft.
Never seen one that is straight .
I always re-taper them anyway so a little wobble to start with is OK.
I like the older "experienced" wood as a shaft.
But it is getting very hard to find good old bar cues.

Does there need to be "rage"?
I only offered that as information ... not as solicitation.

Yeah, well, I already had a customer tell me I was charging too much because he had this thread. I told him he could come collect his cue in the street. It wasn't raining too hard when I threw it out there.

I also hot him it never do work for him again.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I always re-taper them anyway so a little wobble to start with is OK.
I like the older "experienced" wood as a shaft.
But it is getting very hard to find good old bar cues.

They are mostly too thin in the middle for me.
I usually extend the bottom to get at least an .840" joint size .
I know of a local maker who made a ton of sneakies at less than .800" joint.

It might be a sneaky, but it will still have your name on it .
And when that sneaky gets flipped, the flipper might claim the shaft is a custom shaft from you.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Yeah, well, I already had a customer tell me I was charging too much because he had this thread. I told him he could come collect his cue in the street. It wasn't raining too hard when I threw it out there.

I also hot him it never do work for him again.

Everyone tends to take a bit of artistic liberty when re-telling a story and I always apply my BS filter when listening to someone spin a yarn like that.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
They are mostly too thin in the middle for me.
I usually extend the bottom to get at least an .840" joint size .
I know of a local maker who made a ton of sneakies at less than .800" joint.

It might be a sneaky, but it will still have your name on it .
And when that sneaky gets flipped, the flipper might claim the shaft is a custom shaft from you.

Unless the shaft gets re-tapered just cutting and joining a house cue would NOT have WilleeCue engraved on it. The owner can tell any story he chooses to tell ... its on him not me.
I have taken house cues and made shafts from the wood many times and have gotten some excellent playing shafts that way. Even left short points in a few of them.
But the good old bar cues are getting scarce these days ...:(...

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Wow, unknown cue maker AND amateur psychologist. Your mom must be so proud.

Ok, stop being an asshat...you already have been warned by the owner himself....what more does it take for you to be a normal person?? are you that dense? This type of crap isn't tolerated here....please get the memo

Ok, stop being an asshat...you already have been warned by the owner himself....what more does it take for you to be a normal person?? are you that dense? This type of crap isn't tolerated here....please get the memo

So you think the rules are selective? Calling names goes well with you cute purple pumps, my dear.