If I don't care about artistics and the looks of the cue, how to choose?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I am thinking about, I want to buy a Meucci cue but I don't care about what it looks like or how many inlays are there or if it looks beautiful, all I care about is how the cue plays.

With that in mind, the shaft that I am going to use is "The Pro", but for the butt, do all Meucci cues play the same, or is there any way to determine which one to choose, or do I go with the cheapest one with no inlays or points and just plain one color cue cause all of them play the same?

I don't know if that's the case then I should just find a plain one coloured Meucci which will be cheaper? because that would play as well as the most expensive? A friend of mine told me that the price goes higher with the most detail on the butt which is something that I don't care about unless he's wrong then enlightening me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
.. I want to buy a ... cue but I don't care about what it looks like or how many inlays are there or if it looks beautiful, all I care about is how the cue plays....
No one here can tell you how a particular cue or brand of cues will feel to you or whether a suits your game. I've heard people describe a piece of dog poo stick as a "fine-hitting cue".

Don't buy any cue until you have played with it. Unless you intend to resell it if you don't like it and know you won't take a loss.

Different cues from the same cue maker play differently.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one here can tell you how a particular cue or brand of cues will feel to you or whether a suits your game. I've heard people describe a piece of dog poo stick as a "fine-hitting cue".

Don't buy any cue until you have played with it. Unless you intend to resell it if you don't like it and know you won't take a loss.

Different cues from the same cue maker play differently.

What you said makes perfect sense, but since I live oversea's and no Meucci retailers near my area and I must buy it online and I kind of like the website budget cues, especially since Julia, runs it, so I want to pick a cue from their site, if you were in my shoes and with knowing what I said, which one will you choose? Given with your experience I will trust you Bob.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What you said makes perfect sense, but since I live oversea's and no Meucci retailers near my area and I must buy it online and I kind of like the website budget cues, especially since Julia, runs it, so I want to pick a cue from their site, if you were in my shoes and with knowing what I said, which one will you choose? Given with your experience I will trust you Bob.
Wait until you can play with a cue before you buy it.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try out cues from people at the pool hall you go to. You'd be shocked how many folks would let you hit a few balls if you asked politely. Then, buy a $75-$100 Sneaky Pete from any online retailer. I recommend J&J Cues. Cheap price, but moves the ball well.
Solid entry level player for sure.
See if you are able to tell the difference in how they "play" or "feel."
One of the best one pocket players out here in L.A. shoots with sneaky pete made by Mezz. He said it was like $500.
He hit with my cheapy cue and was shocked by how nice it hit stock. He didn't care for the thick taper, but said there's not much room to complain for the price.
If you decide to upgrade afterward to more expensive cue, then you'll have that sneaky as back up, or great break cue.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Pro and Ultimate weapon shafts play really well. I've upgraded to the CF pro as it plays better than both. Couldn't imagine it but it's true.

As far as butt, I'd recommend a BMC series as they are better quality IMO. Those are all on the .ore expensive side though.

Recently on Facebook I've seen some "oddball" new meucci's for sale with a pro shaft for $300 each if you're looking to go a cheaper route.

I also have a brand new 21st century 6 for sale with a black dot & CF pro shaft brand new but it's a bit more expensive.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Buy you Meucci with your money, it a personal choice. If some one else is footing the bill, string are alway attached.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's what I am thinking about, I want to buy a Meucci cue but I don't care about what it looks like or how many inlays are there or if it looks beautiful, all I care about is how the cue plays.

With that in mind, the shaft that I am going to use is "The Pro", but for the butt, do all Meucci cues play the same, or is there any way to determine which one to choose, or do I go with the cheapest one with no inlays or points and just plain one color cue cause all of them play the same?

I don't know if that's the case then I should just find a plain one coloured Meucci which will be cheaper? because that would play as well as the most expensive? A friend of mine told me that the price goes higher with the most detail on the butt which is something that I don't care about unless he's wrong then enlightening me.

Just try as many cues as you can.

Wait for that cue that you like the feel and sound of. The one that gives you some confidence.

That’s it. I played the best 8ball of my life with a $25 Viking Merry Widow cue they gave me (and everyone else) for making it to the Nationals.

Lou Figueroa

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Tiger cues, the answer is Tiger cues.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There is no magic Cue, my old friend forgot the combination to his locker in Pool Room today. He is loosing it, had to play with house stick. Was like Tiger Wood at Masters kicking butt.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Give Seyberts a look, they have quite a few Meucci cues to choose from.

https://www.seyberts.com/index.php?store=azbmarketplace.com

https://www.seyberts.com/return-policy

60 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee on Cues & Shafts
Seybert's Billiard Supply offers you a 100% money-back guarantee for any cue or shaft purchased. If order was shipped under the terms of our FREE SHIPPING OVER $49.00 policy, the actual shipping charges that Seybert's Billiard Supply incurred will be subtracted from the refunded amount. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your cue or shaft purchase, you may return your cue or shaft to us for a full refund for a full 60 days from the date of purchase. This guarantee includes Chalked Cues & Shafts! For your protection please be sure to send back the item in the original shipping container and insure the product for the full value in case of damage during the return process. Original shipping charges (if applicable) are non-refundable. Shipping and insurance charges for the return of the item(s) is the responsibility of the customers.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...for the butt, do all Meucci cues play the same
I think all butts of all brands play the same - i.e., the have little to do with how a cue plays; that's all in the shaft.

As far as how they feel... you'll get used to anything pretty quickly, and then that's what you'll "prefer".

do I go with the cheapest one with no inlays or points and just plain one color cue cause all of them play the same?
That's what I'd do. I had a shaft made to my specs and put it on an old Joss butt that somebody gave me. The only thing I cared about with the butt was that it fit the shaft and was wrapless.

pj
chgo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your friend is absolutely correct, and it sounds like you've figured out what you want. Just curious why you've already decided on a Meucci without considering any other quality production cues?

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your friend is absolutely correct, and it sounds like you've figured out what you want. Just curious why you've already decided on a Meucci without considering any other quality production cues?

Cause I played with Meucci in the 90s before I quit pool, and I like the feel of it as I shoot, especially the coating around the butt which is something I didn't ever seen in any other custom or production cues, they usually have protective lacquer coating around the butt which I like the feel of.

With that im going to buy this cue which doesn't have any special inlay around the butt and which also made it cheaper than $300, its on sale for $290, I think its the cheapest on Meucci line of cues "as new" because I don't want used.

https://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-ppac-2.htm

PPAC-2 Power Piston Accelerator-2

What you guys think, I think its the lowest price cause it doesn't have any special work around the butt.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think when you pick a cue the brand is insignificant, it needs to be one that feels good
to you. I saw a cue once and thought that was my Holy Grail. It took several years but
I finally got one, it sits in a case with other stored cues. I didn't like the way it felt, I didn't
like the way it played. Turned out to be a little pricey for a paper weight. However. it
sounds like you have your heart set on a Meucci, so pick a good one, one that looks
good to you, then if nothing else at least you'll have that.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all butts of all brands play the same - i.e., the have little to do with how a cue plays; that's all in the shaft.

As far as how they feel... you'll get used to anything pretty quickly, and then that's what you'll "prefer".

That's what I'd do. I had a shaft made to my specs and put it on an old Joss butt that somebody gave me. The only thing I cared about with the butt was that it fit the shaft and was wrapless.

pj
chgo

I see a lot of people say this and I do not agree with the sentiment that "all butts play the same" on any level because they don't. I have tested this myself with my own cues and I can say that the butt can have a significant effect on how a cue plays. Even at the Predator booth at the APA show playing the REVO shaft with the different Predator butts you could see a big difference in how they they played and felt.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cause I played with Meucci in the 90s before I quit pool, and I like the feel of it as I shoot, especially the coating around the butt which is something I didn't ever seen in any other custom or production cues, they usually have protective lacquer coating around the butt which I like the feel of.

With that im going to buy this cue which doesn't have any special inlay around the butt and which also made it cheaper than $300, its on sale for $290, I think its the cheapest on Meucci line of cues "as new" because I don't want used.

https://www.budgetcues.com/meucci-pool-cue-ppac-2.htm

PPAC-2 Power Piston Accelerator-2

What you guys think, I think its the lowest price cause it doesn't have any special work around the butt.

Go for it. Looks like you can dial in the weight too.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett is correct. In the playing department, all that matters is putting balls in the pocket easily. Try it yourself. If you think just a few more shots and I'll get used to it, it ain't the right one for you.