What positive effects has pool had on your life?

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems easy to come up with ways pool has had a negative effect on my life. But, looking back, the things for which I blamed pool were actually my fault, my lack of ability or desire to control my inhibitions. The breakup of my first marriage, the breakup of my second marriage, my recent breakup (wasn't married this time!), could all easily be blamed on pool and its addictive nature. The truth is, I was the one DECICING to play the game. They were all choices I made. After thinking about this for the last few days, I started to wonder if there was anything POSITIVE that had happened to me because of pool. Because pool is such a mental game, I decided that if I am going to continue to play the game, I need to re-asses my reason(s) for doing so.
Here is what I came up with:
(1) The reason I started in the first place: I had played a few games at a local gameroom but was not really intrigued or mesmerized by the game. Then, in February of 1989, I was informed by my girlfriend that she was pregnant. I was at a complete loss. This kind of thing happened to other people, not me. I didn't know what to do. I met a buddy at a place called the Brew and Cue on McCallie Avenue here in Chattanooga (some of you old roadies might remember the place). I was so mentally tormented by the life changing circumstance in which I found myself that I was at my wit's end. For the first time, I put every ounce of concentration, determination, and effort into a game of pool. My buddy, with whom I had played pool before, was awestricken by my play. Granted, neither of us really knew what shooting good pool looked like, but the performance I gave that night was far above and beyond anything I had given previously. I discovered that during those hours of playing a game with which I was very unfamiliar, I was able to completely put the mental torment out of my mind! When we were finished, my mind was clear and I was able to think again. I think that was the spark that ignited a passion for pool that has never died. In times of struggle and heartache, pool has been there for me. It can take me away and free my mind from the troubles life can bring. It offers a brief break from reality during which my mind can recuperate, yet keeps it occupied enough as to not go into a panic-driven overdrive.
I would love to hear from other AZers about some of their positive-pool-effects...

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
I would say that the friends I have gained while playing pool is a good positive life experience. My pool friends are my closest friends. They have always been there for me when I needed them and I've been there for them. It's good to know that you always have someone in your corner no matter what.

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
I've had Parkinson's for 13 years now and pool is the one thing at which I can still be competitive. It provides excercise, stretching and a variety of other benefits. Without the heartbeat of pool I would have wound up depressed and adrift in life a long time ago.

Delusional

C'mon Knucklehead
Silver Member
It's good to see some positive. Pool has given me a lot in the last 6yrs. I got hooked on this game because of my son. It was something to do with him and i always felt great when we played. Win or lose we always left Happy and talked all the way home. We have met a lot of great people along the way. It has given me this burning desire to be Great at something. Takes me away from the Grind of everyday life. Given me a ton of Focus and determination to excel. I say Thanks for my Family, especially my wife, who supports me in this Pool Journey.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
When I was 15 a very strong local player saw me shooting at the VFW club and took an interest in me. I had a table at home and was a good shot maker but knew nothing of english and very little position play.

He became my mentor and best friend, I would go to his home and eat with him and his wife then we would play and practice for hours on his table.

He took me to all the tournaments, helped pay my way and always encouraged me.

When I was 18 I won a large tournament and got my photo and story in the local paper. It meant a great deal to me since I didn't play high school sports it gave me an identity.

I have a love of the sport, lifelong friends and have carried on the spirit of helping young players that was instilled in me by mentor.

I have a real pay it forward philosophy towards life and pool.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Playing pool in the early days of my youth was an opportunity to hang out with my buddies. Camaraderie.
Now that I'm considerably older I find the same to be true, albeit different buddies. Again, camaraderie.
Oh. I've also have had the great privilege to have been able to learn the game of One Pocket. :smile:

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I've had Parkinson's for 13 years now and pool is the one thing at which I can still be competitive. It provides excercise, stretching and a variety of other benefits. Without the heartbeat of pool I would have wound up depressed and adrift in life a long time ago.

I'm happy you get joy from playing pool. I have good days and bad days. but I guess that's how we learn to improve
Hugs
Loren

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Maestro

In the Zone...
Silver Member
It has connected me with my grandfather who loved pool and whom I never met as he died before I was born. It allowed me to meditate in action and to connect my mind and my body while always striving to execute my concept of the moves ahead as they would be on a chess board. It gives me peace and balance as I find the dead stroke or at least look for it, overcome any hint of ambition save for learning about the table and the physics of the roll and angle, hearing the balls whisper to me as they glide the cloth to their destinations.

Pocket Billiards remind me of life and the hopeless pursuit of control while the rewards of small triumphs make it worth the battle. It reminds me that by not fighting the battle, we win the war. It puts me in touch with my senses and with my feelings. It makes order out of chaos while illustrating the order within chaos. I love pool and will forever be grateful for its presence in my life.

I will always strive to share this gift with others in any way I can and explain its noble beauty to all who may doubt it.

Last edited:

fd_colorado

Go Pack Go!!!
Silver Member
It has connected me with my grandfather who loved pool and whom I never met as he died before I was born. It allowed me to meditate in action and to connect my mind and my body while always striving to execute my concept of the moves ahead as they would be on a chess board. It gives me peace and balance as I find the dead stroke or at least look for it, overcome any hint of ambition save for learning about the table and the physics of the roll and angle, hearing the balls whisper to me as they glide the cloth to their destinations.

Pocket Billiards remind me of life andthe f the hopeless pursuit of control while the rewards of small triumphs make it worth the battle. It reminds me that by not fighting the battle, we win the war. It puts me in touch with my senses and with my feelings. It makes order out of chaos while illustrating the order within chaos. I love pool and will forever be grateful for its presence in my life.

I will always strive to share this gift with others in any way I can and explain its noble beauty to all who may doubt it.

Wow! I am very relaxed now!

If you are looking for artistry and creativity in pool you've got to try the pool gqme Einstein-Nine. It is the only pocket-billiard game I have found that radiates its secrets like a Fibonacci shell. (back at ya :)

All kidding aside, if you prefer chaos theory to patterns more easily discerned, and love the calculation of chess then you should give the pool game Einstein-Nine a try.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
The other positive thing pool does is give me something to do when my wife is pissed at me. Like right now.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I enjoyed pool since day one. Looking back it has been a lifetime of fun and friendships made. I play in a senior league in S. Florida.... constantly meeting new people. Pool>>>it's more than game.

foospot

Unregistered User
Silver Member
Positive

It could lead to divorce......which some may view as positive. :grin:

beav99_4life

BPT Champion
Silver Member
I can honestly that most of the best times of my younger life (18-24) were in a pool hall and around pool players. Later on I got to meet alot of amazing people and see some amazing things working with TAR. So i've definitely had some great experiences because of pool.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member

Pocket Billiards remind me of life and the hopeless pursuit of control while the rewards of small triumphs make it worth the battle. It reminds me that by not fighting the battle, we win the war. It puts me in touch with my senses and with my feelings. It makes order out of chaos while illustrating the order within chaos. I love pool and will forever be grateful for its presence in my life.

Wow! I am very relaxed now!

If you are looking for artistry and creativity in pool you've got to try the pool gqme Einstein-Nine. It is the only pocket-billiard game I have found that radiates its secrets like a Fibonacci shell. (back at ya :)

All kidding aside, if you prefer chaos theory to patterns more easily discerned, and love the calculation of chess then you should give the pool game Einstein-Nine a try.

If you two play the game like you write on this forum your opponents are in for it!

fd_colorado you are correct E-9 is a game that rewards the player who works to master it like no other.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
What Pool Has Done For Me Personally - and Why I Owe IT So Much

It seems easy to come up with ways pool has had a negative effect on my life. But, looking back, the things for which I blamed pool were actually my fault, my lack of ability or desire to control my inhibitions. The breakup of my first marriage, the breakup of my second marriage, my recent breakup (wasn't married this time!), could all easily be blamed on pool and its addictive nature. The truth is, I was the one DECICING to play the game. They were all choices I made. After thinking about this for the last few days, I started to wonder if there was anything POSITIVE that had happened to me because of pool. Because pool is such a mental game, I decided that if I am going to continue to play the game, I need to re-asses my reason(s) for doing so.
Here is what I came up with:
(1) The reason I started in the first place: I had played a few games at a local gameroom but was not really intrigued or mesmerized by the game. Then, in February of 1989, I was informed by my girlfriend that she was pregnant. I was at a complete loss. This kind of thing happened to other people, not me. I didn't know what to do. I met a buddy at a place called the Brew and Cue on McCallie Avenue here in Chattanooga (some of you old roadies might remember the place). I was so mentally tormented by the life changing circumstance in which I found myself that I was at my wit's end. For the first time, I put every ounce of concentration, determination, and effort into a game of pool. My buddy, with whom I had played pool before, was awestricken by my play. Granted, neither of us really knew what shooting good pool looked like, but the performance I gave that night was far above and beyond anything I had given previously. I discovered that during those hours of playing a game with which I was very unfamiliar, I was able to completely put the mental torment out of my mind! When we were finished, my mind was clear and I was able to think again. I think that was the spark that ignited a passion for pool that has never died. In times of struggle and heartache, pool has been there for me. It can take me away and free my mind from the troubles life can bring. It offers a brief break from reality during which my mind can recuperate, yet keeps it occupied enough as to not go into a panic-driven overdrive.
I would love to hear from other AZers about some of their positive-pool-effects...

What positive effect has pool had on me?....hmmm, here are examples:

It fed me when I was hungry
It gave me hope when I had none
It clothed me when I had no money
It didn't matter who I was, it just mattered what I could do on that table
It gave me money when I was broke
It helped me make thousands of friends
It helped me get on TV and Radio to promote 'The Game'
It helped me open businesses
It helped me be in posters on walls
It helped me travel locally, nationally and Internationally
It helped me get out and stay out of trouble
It helped me gain wisdom and insight in life
It helped me meet the most wonderful girlfriend
It gave me a awesome reason to live
It entertained me when I was bored
It taught me things about the mind and body I never would have learned
It gives me a chance to help others reach higher levels
It helped me help others develop a more fullfilling life
It helped me develop emotionally and mature to fully
It helped me learn to defend myself in many ways
It helped me make my mother and father proud
It helped me help others with many things listed above
It helped me know understand spirituality and meditation
It helped me understand NLP
It helped me be more entertaining
It helped me perform in front of millions of people worldwide
It helped me understand others in unusual ways
It helped me have compassion for others
It helped me have empathy for others
It helped me understand the struggling and suffering of others
It helped me develop my hand/eye coordination
It helped me make my ultimate pool secrets
It helped me be involved in charity events to raise money for children
It helped me meet celebrities and raise money for diseases in Hollywood
It helped me be right here, right now and be able to say all these things
It helps me be thankful for the many blessing I've received
It helped me be sober
It helped my perspectives
It helped me appreciate subtle things
It helped me understand Zen and Tao
It helped me learn martial arts
It gave me the desire to be healthy so I could compete
It helps me know the Father, Son and Spirit
It helps me understand what AMEN really means
It helps me understand why 'The Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

framedglasshadd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfect timing for this thread, actually. I just got back from the billiards parlor and nearly cried talking to some guy about how much billiards meant to me... He said it was... silly to take this seriously and billiards is only something to do for fun (and that I should not think to make a living from it). I usually do feel silly on the outside and even ashamed to put so much heart into something that is "just a game" but since it seems everyone else is sharing...
I found this game during a difficult and extremely sad time of my life. Sure, I knew what it was before then, but I did not really find anything that special about it. But then last year when I was going through very big life changes in family and that affected school and everything else. I was a sad person, and the stress and depression became overwhelming, bringing along self-harm and attempted suicide. I was so lonely. Somehow, out of all the things I could have chosen... I found solace in this "game". I discovered a local billiards place with a few pool tables and many billiards tables. It was not a big thing at first but gradually it became important to me. I showed my friends the game. I found different pool games to play and then later discovered carom. I loved the game immediately and many people there were willing to teach me. I did not mind playing alone or practicing... I did not feel lonely. It was, and still is, comforting. I realized why some people take (what I used to believe were just trifling hobbies) sports and art and music to be so important. It changes their lives, the way billiards changed mine.

So now, it has become more than just a game. Although what that person said to me today really bothered me, I can understand why he would say that. I hope someone can find this story to be a little comforting if you feel ashamed for letting pool/billiards be big part of your life. I am also grateful to have found this thread just as I was feeling this way myself (I have always come back from billiards happy but today was a little saddening... I regret telling him why it was so personal because it revived so many bad memories and feelings I did not want to associate with billiards and he still insisted it was not important... but I guess that is his opinion and I have my crazier one).

Last edited:

DonsSmidget

Guppy
Silver Member
Im not sure I will be able to formulate all my thoughts into a good answer for this but I will try!!! Pool has given me a lot in the very short time I have been trying to learn it. It has given my (now) hubby and I something we can do together, although I tend to rack way more than he does!! (its ok at least he has to rack on occasion now). I am starting to generate a whole new world of friends, and I didn't realize what I have been missing out on the last few years by self isolating. I am learning something new.... and finally being able to see improvement which makes me want to learn more.... improve more.... continue the vicious cycle!! It has taught me how to improve my mental focus, how to block out what I need to to be able to get the job done, which in turn has actually benefited me in my real world job as a dispatcher for a small town cop shop. It has re taught me not only how to win gracefully but to loose gracefully as well and how to use both of those situations to grow from and improve on next week or next time on the table at home. But my favorite part..... pool has reminded me that its ok to learn and have fun at the same time.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
'The Game is the Teacher'

Perfect timing for this thread, actually. I just got back from the billiards parlor and nearly cried talking to some guy about how much billiards meant to me... He said it was... silly to take this seriously and billiards is only something to do for fun (and that I should not think to make a living from it). I usually do feel silly on the outside and even ashamed to put so much heart into something that is "just a game" but since it seems everyone else is sharing...
I found this game during a difficult and extremely sad time of my life. Sure, I knew what it was before then, but I did not really find anything that special about it. But then last year when I was going through very big life changes in family and that affected school and everything else. I was a sad person, and the stress and depression became overwhelming, bringing along self-harm and attempted suicide. I was so lonely. Somehow, out of all the things I could have chosen... I found solace in this "game". I discovered a local billiards place with a few pool tables and many billiards tables. It was not a big thing at first but gradually it became important to me. I showed my friends the game. I found different pool games to play and then later discovered carom. I loved the game immediately and many people there were willing to teach me. I did not mind playing alone or practicing... I did not feel lonely. It was, and still is, comforting. I realized why some people take (what I used to believe were just trifling hobbies) sports and art and music to be so important. It changes their lives, the way billiards changed mine.

So now, it has become more than just a game. Although what that person said to me today really bothered me, I can understand why he would say that. I hope someone can find this story to be a little comforting if you feel ashamed for letting pool/billiards be big part of your life. I am also grateful to have found this thread just as I was feeling this way myself (I have always come back from billiards happy but today was a little saddening... I regret telling him why it was so personal because it revived so many bad memories and feelings I did not want to associate with billiards and he still insisted it was not important... but I guess that is his opinion and I have my crazier one).

My best friend and one of the most special people I've ever met said to me earlier, "The Game gave me "Hope" when they had none"....and for some of us this is literally true and I can relate to what everyone says...."we are not alone when you have The Game"....I would not even be the same if the Game hadn't saved me (a few times) and that goes for a LOT of people I know {and have known that are no longer with us}...I was ask recently "why do you want to promote the Game if no one is paying you"...and my response was "I've already been paid more than I could have ever dreamed and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to represent the Game"....I've had many customers and clients that also helped me out a lot, and it's still the biggest privilege to represent The Game that I've always loved ....since I was a 7 year old boy in a town of 629, just a boy with a Dream and a Game that helped me achieve that Dream and Much More. 'The Game is the Teacher'