BCA Membership

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As many may know, I have become disenchanted in the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) over the last few years. So much that not too long ago, I mentioned in a post that I would not be renewing our (CSI's) membership in the BCA.

I just had a couple conversations with them in the last week or so. In fact, we had some interesting talks about the future of pool in the US. I think they may finally be 'seeing the light' (according to my standards - lol) - and I am sending in my membership today.

Probably the most visible example of their presence is the stand the BCA (with the WPA) took against Dragon Promotions and the Women's event now going on in NYC.

Now lets see what (if anything ) they can do on the 14.1 event. (Really - the 73rd event)?????

I have always believed in the potential of the WPA/BCA but somehow I feel they lost the direction. I think they might be coming around - and for that, I am going to continue my support.

Many people misunderstand the role of the BCA - I think I understand it but I also think they can be a much bigger and better influence in pool in the US.

Mark Griffin

m

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Mark, you must have heard something VERY god for you to continue your support. From what I know they won't let you on the board (I could be wrong there but I am sure you will correct me) it could be the WPBA. Anyway one of the most influential people and one of the largest promoters of pool in the USA I think they really should listen when you talk. Again if they have given you faith then I guess we shall see how next year goes.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what was your beaf?

I just had a couple conversations with them in the last week or so. In fact, we had some interesting talks about the future of pool in the US. I think they may finally be 'seeing the light' (according to my standards - lol) - and I am sending in my membership today.

Many people misunderstand the role of the BCA - I think I understand it but I also think they can be a much bigger and better influence in pool in the US.

Mark Griffin

m

So what is their role in Pool? Was your disagreement with the role they played in amateur Pool or the Pro side?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well....'initially' I was pleased that CSI is supporting BCA and WPA....
....also AZB.
Hopefully, the WPBA and even the WPBSA will cooperate.

...but then I thought...I gotta get an Acronym Dictionary.....:eek:

Mrdodd72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel the BCA has done little in recent history to promote professional billiards, or actually grow the sport in general. Yes I am disenchanted, and feel we need a more proactive governing body for pool to survive, let alone thrive.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As many may know, I have become disenchanted in the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) over the last few years. So much that not too long ago, I mentioned in a post that I would not be renewing our (CSI's) membership in the BCA.

Probably the most visible example of their presence is the stand the BCA (with the WPA) took against Dragon Promotions and the Women's event now going on in NYC.

Now lets see what (if anything ) they can do on the 14.1 event. (Really - the 73rd event)?????

I have always believed in the potential of the WPA/BCA but somehow I feel they lost the direction. I think they might be coming around - and for that, I am going to continue my support.

Mark Griffin

m

Hi Mark,

Are you able to provide any further details of your recent discussions and why you feel they have "seen the light" and are "coming around"? You mention that their role is misunderstood but didn't offer any clarification. You only mentioned their recent stance with the WPA against Dragon Promotions. While I'm not fully in the know of what that was all about, from an outsider's perspective it appeared to be infighting with the 3 bodies that sanction pro tournaments and ultimately it was the players and fans that lost out in the end. This may not be what actually occurred but it seems that strong arming players into not participating in an event over what appeared to be what the event was called, seems a bit trivial if not counter-productive to the cause of growing the sport. Can you provide us with any further knowledge or insight that has made you reconsider your membership? Thanks!

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

m

So what is the role of the BCA? When was the last time anyone heard from the BCA? What do they do? Do they still have that god awful website?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm less convinced that the BCA has turned the corner here, but I'll remain hopeful. It's no secret that Mark Griffin's opinion has, and always will, carry great weight with me.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BCA membership

I don't have the time to go into any details- because it would end up being a very long and debated thread.

I am an optimist. Any movement in the 'right' direction should be recognized and encouraged.

The Dragon Promotions was just one of the actions that I feel is encouraging. I am NOT going to go through and explain why I feel the WPA/BCA had to act like they did. The previous actions of Dragon was common knowledge to anyone that follows the tournament scene.

Since I had posted earlier I would not be renewing our membership, I only thought it proper that I correct that post with newer update.

Mark Griffin

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the time to go into any details- because it would end up being a very long and debated thread.

I am an optimist. Any movement in the 'right' direction should be recognized and encouraged.

The Dragon Promotions was just one of the actions that I feel is encouraging. I am NOT going to go through and explain why I feel the WPA/BCA had to act like they did. The previous actions of Dragon was common knowledge to anyone that follows the tournament scene.

Since I had posted earlier I would not be renewing our membership, I only thought it proper that I correct that post with newer update.

Mark Griffin

Mark, (highjack alert) what's going on with the US Open 1pocket?

Lou Figueroa
inquiring minds
and all that

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
12-4.... I mentioned

what Ian Anderson, the WPA and other world bodies did this past week, to STOP Charlie Williams from using World Championship wording is HUGE, and the best thing I've heard in YEARS to get the pros moving in the same direction.
This is the finger in the dyke so to speak, the WPA has finally plugged that HOLE to get rid of the CW drip.

12-17
Looks like the BCA's has got their finger near the dyke, is there hope? First they need to implement.....a true national amateur ranking tour Not for money, but for one all expense paid entry into a Major, like they do for the Juniors.

It's not rocket science.

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The BCA is us. The BCA is where our entire industry converges. The state of the industry is the state of the BCA and vice versa. If anyone thinks the BCA should be doing something, then they should join. Get involved. Sell their ideas. Volunteer. Dissatisfaction with our trade organization's decisions and actions is never a reason to give up on "us".

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Not going to read the garbage... The BCA unhooked the ropes and let pool and billiards float out into oblivion.... Pro and Amateur alike... They chased the tradeshow dollars and they need to be forever stuck there... As a tradeshow entity...

Mark I would have preferred you had not sent you money in and had CSI hold the line and setup a North American Points system.... You know my thoughts on the WPA and their focus on Europe and Asia... Cut ties and rebuild here... We owned pool for decades until the rudder was cast away by the BCA.. It's not been lost.. it's only been unmanned... It made sense to pool together when the Olympics were supposedly in reach but now there is no rhyme or reason to dance to the WPA drummers knowing our nextshot is a decade away... Time to figure out the way forward...

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
The BCA is us. The BCA is where our entire industry converges. The state of the industry is the state of the BCA and vice versa. If anyone thinks the BCA should be doing something, then they should join. Get involved. Sell their ideas. Volunteer. Dissatisfaction with our trade organization's decisions and actions is never a reason to give up on "us".

WOW... your disconnects know no bounds..... "Dissatisfaction with our trade organization"... Your words not mine... That is all they are.... A tradeshow organization......

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Cornerstone Thinking BCA

History[edit]
The origins of the BCA began with the National Billiard Association of America (NBAA), founded July 25, 1921. The organization rapidly became the de facto governing body of the sport in the United States, with 35,000 members by 1928

Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, and calling itself "the Governing Body of Billiards", the BAA produced a concise, portable, inexpensive rulebook of carom and pocket billiards games, that was to serve as the model for future BCA releases.

[8] The BAA in turn became the BCA, 1947–1948.
It was established under this name in 1948[2] as a non-profit trade organization[3] in order to promote the sport and organize its players via tournaments at various levels

Like any business, sometimes you have to ''look back'' to see what got you ''here''. Many business's lose their way, McDonalds is now simplifying their menus. There's some good thoughts above on how to ''Govern''. But don't micro manage, that's for your Room Members. Give your Room Members something with value and they'll give back to corporate with their players purchasing billiard products.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
So you were not going to renew your membership with the BCA (so it must not be too important), but now you're going to. Puzzling.

Last edited:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

Thanks for your response.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mark Griffin

m

Hey Mark,

I joined a BCA league this session specifically because I LOVED your event in Vegas in years past. I assume when you say BCA you are not talking about the BCAPL? I very much like this pool league, particularly the championships in Vegas!

KMRUNOUT

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the reasons for making a post is to cause discussion. I think the BCA is a topic that should be discussed. There are many different opinions.

Most will agree that the pool industry is not very healthy.
Many will agree that the BCA is not very active in pool events.

BUT - what should be their role? Should they 'do' tournaments? Does the NFL 'do' football games?

I believe the US needs organization - (the BCA is the agent for the WPA) - I don't agree on forming NEW organizations since that has never worked. I also don't think it is all about 'points events' - and even if it was, who is going to fund them?

Look at the bigger picture and look towards the future.

I think I can 'fix' todays problems. and I think that is better than starting over.

Mark Griffin