Deleting threads

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just noticed the thread started by 'cleary' - named something like 'what is the need for pro pool' - went for quite a few pages- the whole thread was removed!

Why are some threads removed?

If it gets too crazy - maybe banning/censoring individuals would be better than eliminating the thread

My attitude is the some of us spend good time and efforts making posts. If they going to be discarded, why should we even participate? I believe there was a lot of intelligent information in the thread.

This is a minor rant - I'm suggesting maybe exercising a little better judgment on keeping some of the BS posters in line. If not I'm afraid AZ is going to alienate several of the on-point posters.

Comments? Or is this going to be another flame war?

For what it's worth, I'm about ready to take a break from posting. And it's caused by a few individuals who just can't quite grasp the idea we should all be promoting pool and making it bigger and better. Sure there are agendas and competition - but why can't we just agree to disagree?

Mark Griffin

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
The main mod doesn't want to do the work required to weed out the individual antagonists so he simpy nukes the whole thread and throws out the baby with the bathwater.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I just noticed the thread started by 'cleary' - named something like 'what is the need for pro pool' - went for quite a few pages- the whole thread was removed!

If it gets too crazy - maybe banning/censoring individuals would be better than eliminating the thread

My attitude is the some of us spend good time and efforts making posts. If they going to be discarded, why should we even participate? I believe there was a lot of intelligent information in the thread.

This is a minor rant - I'm suggesting maybe exercising a little better judgment on keeping some of the BS posters in line. If not I'm afraid AZ is going to alienate several of the on-point posters.

For what it's worth, I'm about ready to take a break from posting. And it's caused by a few individuals who just can't quite grasp the idea we should all be promoting pool and making it bigger and better. Sure there are agendas and competition - but why can't we just agree to disagree?

Mark Griffin

On target. Besides retaining valuable content it will also allow posters to glean where boundries are that, if crossed, could/will result in banning.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't read the thread myself so I don't know if it got crazy or not but there are tooooo many people on here that are always ready to throw down at the drop of a hat and just get outright nasty for no reason whatsoever. I hate to think how many interesting opinions & points of views we have never heard because people don't feel like being bashed on here for having another way of looking at something.

RonMason

Ron Mason
Silver Member
Mark,

I agree with you. It seems drama wins over intelligence on this forum. It's unfortunate.

Mark Griffin

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
My guess is that if you get any response from the powers that be, it will likely be something along the lines of "we don't have time or manpower enough to go thru each thread to selectively delete offending comments, so we kill the whole thread to make it go away..."

I don't necessarily agree, but I understand the scope of the problem.

Its a shame it has gotten to this point

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I agree Mark. I took some time to post in that thread, and tried to put some thought into it. Others did the same. It was only 2 or 3 posters that ruined it.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue here is the same as it was when the mods were first brought on board. I do not believe there is as much moderating as there should be hence the reason for removing entire threads. It's easier. Many of us are members of other forums and my experience is that AZ is very loosely enforced. The other forums seem to have a quicker response to any form of indiscretions of their rules. Honestly I don't see many positive threads anymore which leads to lots of drama, cyber bullying, name calling, and the nonsense we see over and over again. I for one would like to see things tightened up, JMO.....

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Don't worry, CJ is making himself look like an ass in other threads too, no one is missing anything.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I agree Mark. I took some time to post in that thread, and tried to put some thought into it. Others did the same. It was only 2 or 3 posters that ruined it.

Isn't it a cast of usual suspects every single time?? There is no guarantee of free speech on a forum.. The sooner Jerry and Mike figure this out the sooner they can start growing AZ again... Would be nice for professionals and industry players to feel like they are safe and wecome here....

Chris

Texdance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
<snip>
Would be nice for professionals and industry players to feel like they are safe and wecome here....

Chris

It would also be nice if newcomers like myself felt free to post what they think.

I expect some bile-thrower will eventually form a hate-ship toward me, for reason or reasons unknown.

I again hit the "Submit Reply" button with trepidation.

Oh well, I can always unsubscribe, and go back to playing Solitaire.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It would also be nice if newcomers like myself felt free to post what they think.

I expect some bile-thrower will eventually form a hate-ship toward me, for reason or reasons unknown.

I again hit the "Submit Reply" button with trepidation.

Oh well, I can always unsubscribe, and go back to playing Solitaire.

Yeah well, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

JMuck

Silver Member
I was interested in Cleary's pro pool thread.If it went south that is too bad.There was much to be learned.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I hate to think how many interesting opinions & points of views we have never heard because people don't feel like being bashed on here for having another way of looking at something.

Excellent point. There was another thread that turned ugly attacking JAM who is now on hiatus due to the nastiness. The thread just disappeared after a ton of posts. I don't know if it's a man power thing or not but there was a lot of good content besides the nastiness that should have survived. I know they are asking for help in the mod department but I agree that entire threads should not disappear because one or two members cross the line. Just my two cents.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Nine, so what are you doing outside of the Funny Gif Thread.

Spreading your wings are ya.

Tex, don't worry about it. There is a ton of great people here.

I don't think that this place is under Moderated. Dave makes a pass every so often and cleans house. He is pretty diligent. Just because he doesn't participate and comment often doesn't mean that he isn't reading.

The owners are probably hoping that people can learn to Moderate themselves to a certain degree.

Not trying to start shit but personally, I have always noticed how quiet AZ is when certain people are on Vacation. I think that we know who that is.

The Sticky for Mod Help has been up for a bit.

Maybe that means that they feel no one that applied are up to it.

Well, we all have faults, no one is a perfect poster.

I have read comments where people feel AZ is under moderated and the moment that Dave cleans up a bit, others are b itching about
heavy handed moderation.

Never going to please everyone.

Not referring to anything re yourself Mark. I know, or figure I know who got you going sideways in that thread.

Check Mahna's post. He pretty much got it on the head.

Would be nice for professionals and industry players to feel like they are safe and welcome here.

Wouldn't it tho Chris. I know that I still and probably will always have a burr under my saddle over this one, but I saw one person that would have been a serious asset to AZB get chased for absolutely zero. Zero X to be exact.

Several of our supposed Highly Respected members were in on that one.

Last edited:

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cleary's thread one was of the best threads ive seen on here in a long time, and then one or two inconsiderate people ruined it and then it got deleted. there was some pretty good idea-floating going on there its really a shame it all got deleted. really sours me on this forum. 100 dumb threads just begging to be deleted and they get rid of that one

Here's the problem.

Q. Who likes pool (in America)?

A. Old white men.

Q. Who uses AZB (in America)?

A. Old white men.

Q. Which demographic is shrinking fastest (in America)?

A. Old white men.

Q. Which demographic has the least sense of humour and is most intolerant of basically everything?

A. Yup, old white men.

The problem the board has is twofold: firstly, its client base is dying off, and secondly, the existing client base is discouraging new customers.

If i were the board's owners that is what i would be addressing, because in 10 year's time there will be no one left. The question is, do you pander to the old or appeal to the new?

Last edited:

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Q. Which demographic has the least sense of humour and is most intolerant of basically everything?

A. Yup, old white men.

Actually, Old Englishmen.

I can't remember the last time I went to a Comedy Club and someone from Britain was head lining.

I guess someone at one time did come up with Monty Python. But that was a long time ago.

Guinness World Book. Longest running employment ad in the London Times.
Wanted. British Comedian. True Story, yes.

Mumsy, my crumpets are all soggy.

Well, you shouldn't eat them in the rain. Hahahahaha.

I don't think that anyone from the UK has ever posted in the Funny Gif Thread either.

Plus you guys drink piss warm beer thats black. Thats not beer, thats black piss.

Just keep watching Coronation Street Ron, everything will be ok.

the existing client base is discouraging new customers.

At the moment, we are trying to discourage any new Chalk and What's the Best Tip Threads. But other than that, we welcome all new comers.

Last edited: