Tapping and wax

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
On, for example, tapping a butt for joint pin, I've seen folks here mention waxing the tap cutting threads. Seems like for that to be effective the full depth of the hole, you'd need to re-wax the tap several times during the process.
Anyone ever tried just melting some wax into the pilot hole? Kind of rotating the cue to allow the wax to coat the inside walls on the hole? Possibly even re-drilling the hole afterwards with a smaller diameter bit to remove any blobs?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drill, bore, ream, tap in that order.
If your tapping for a shaft, go ahead use wax, if your installing a pin, there is a chance the wax might interfere with the epoxy..
A set of gage pins is worth every penny, it will allow you to make holes with just the right diameter.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can use boiled linseed oil.
Or epoxy without the hardener.

Make sure to clean up with lacquer thinner after.
Blow dry the hole before gluing the screw.

BLO works well for shafts.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
You can use boiled linseed oil.
Or epoxy without the hardener.

Make sure to clean up with lacquer thinner after.
Blow dry the hole before gluing the screw.

BLO works well for shafts.

Epoxy without the hardener! That's brilliant! Shouldn't have any ill effects when epoxying the pin in. Thanks Joey.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Drill, bore, ream, tap in that order.
If your tapping for a shaft, fo ahead use wax, if your installing a pin, there is a chance the wax might interfere with the epoxy..
A set of gage pins is worth every penny, it will allow you to make holes with just the right diameter.

Thanks Kim. I'll pick up some gauge pins.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Drill and bore the hole to the correct size.
Ensure that you are using a piloted tap to keep the threads concentric, or else live thread.
Sometimes using the very thin cyno to harden the wood wall makes the tapping and the thread form good as well.
Just try a few wood test pieces before doing the actual cue, and do a dummy pin install. When correct the pin will run true. And so will the tap before removing it.
Neil

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fill the hole with oil based urethane (slow dry), let it sit for 5 minutes and empty it out. Let it dry overnight. It soaks in a little and I find I get much better threads.