i'd like to try a bobby hunter or cog...but

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
even their plane cues carry a pretty high price tag. anyone know of a cue maker who's cues play similar?

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump for you...cause I'd really like to know as well. Don't Joe and Bobby share a shop? in Chicago. Do their cues play similar? It seems like I've seeen a lot of Hunters using a 3/8x10 metal pin vs. Cognoscenti's using a 3/8x11 G-10 pin.

Too bad Cog's or B.Hunter's don't come in wrapless, anyway....

kath13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dispelling the rumor mill...

Bump for you...cause I'd really like to know as well. Don't Joe and Bobby share a shop? in Chicago. Do their cues play similar? It seems like I've seeen a lot of Hunters using a 3/8x10 metal pin vs. Cognoscenti's using a 3/8x11 G-10 pin.

Too bad Cog's or B.Hunter's don't come in wrapless, anyway....

Impact Blue: Bobby and Joey do not share a shop. Joey is located in Chicago, IL. You are correct with pin size and make. He is known to use titanium pins as well as being the first cue-maker to use the G-10 pin. If you need to know anything more about Joey and his cues, feel free to PM me and Joey does make a wrapless cue.

Poolplayer2093: I don't know of a comparable playing cue to Cog's to advise you on. However, if you want PM your price range and I can see if I know of a Cog. that may be available, but you are right they are a touch more expensive than some. You never knows what's in Joey's shop, you might get lucky. :)

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have had about 15 Cognoscenti cues and two Bobby Hunter cues and I think the Hunters played a little stiffer than the Cognoscentis. Of the 200+ cues I have owned over the past 15 years I cannot remember any other cues that specifically played like the Cognoscentis. I think if you really want one just save up and buy one, in the big scheme of things 1000 used or 1300 new is probably not too high for a cue of the quality of either a Hunter or Cognoscenti. The good thing about these cues is they hold up well in the secondary market. Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.

-don

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted this before. Joey Gold spent a lot of time with Bobby, sharing knowledge, showing him how to build cues, and letting Bobby use his shop to build some of his first cues (this was probably 12-15 years ago). That said, they never built cues together, and out of the almost 20 years (maybe more?) Joe has been building cues, he and Bobby only shared a shop area for a few months (and that was fairly recently). Both are fine cuemakers (and both can PLAY, although I'd have to give Bobby the edge on that one! :D). I'm a BIG fan of Cognoscenti (and am fortunate to own a very nice one)! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Impact Blue: Bobby and Joey do not share a shop. Joey is located in Chicago, IL. You are correct with pin size and make. He is known to use titanium pins as well as being the first cue-maker to use the G-10 pin. If you need to know anything more about Joey and his cues, feel free to PM me and Joey does make a wrapless cue.

Poolplayer2093: I don't know of a comparable playing cue to Cog's to advise you on. However, if you want PM your price range and I can see if I know of a Cog. that may be available, but you are right they are a touch more expensive than some. You never knows what's in Joey's shop, you might get lucky. :)

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I have posted this before. Joey Gold spent a lot of time with Bobby, sharing knowledge, showing him how to build cues, and letting Bobby use his shop to build some of his first cues (this was probably 12-15 years ago). That said, they never built cues together, and out of the almost 20 years (maybe more?) Joe has been building cues, he and Bobby only shared a shop area for a few months (and that was fairly recently). Both are fine cuemakers (and both can PLAY, although I'd have to give Bobby the edge on that one! :D). I'm a BIG fan of Cognoscenti (and am fortunate to own a very nice one)! :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks for clearing up some of the stories about Joey and Bobby Hunter. Sometimes rumors start and they keep spreading and before you know it you believe them.

I owned a real nice Cog for a short while and I never got into playing with it. I traded it even for 2 nice cues and broke about even on the cue.

Ewa Lawrence was in Charleston last year and she had without a doubt the nicest looking Hunter cue i've seen.

I think a Cog or a Hunter would be a fine cue to be your main player, but it's all personal preference when it comes to custom cues.

James

Here's the Cog I used to own:
All-1.jpg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
James...That's a beautiful cue, and high dollar too. Mine has the Shisaido points, and mine was the first, to be made with a split tail Shisaido, so it's a keepsake for me (forget about how sweet the hit is!).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Thanks for clearing up some of the stories about Joey and Bobby Hunter. Sometimes rumors start and they keep spreading and before you know it you believe them.

I owned a real nice Cog for a short while and I never got into playing with it. I traded it even for 2 nice cues and broke about even on the cue.

Ewa Lawrence was in Charleston last year and she had without a doubt the nicest looking Hunter cue i've seen.

I think a Cog or a Hunter would be a fine cue to be your main player, but it's all personal preference when it comes to custom cues.

James

Here's the Cog I used to own:
All-1.jpg

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
If all things go smoothly from this point on, Bobby Hunter expects to have his shop set up within the next three months somewhere in the Chicago area.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
poolplayer2093

Come on out to Rhode Island. Will set you up with a gorgeous Bobby Hunter cue and an ice cold beer. You'll love the cue's hit and by the time Bobby is set up to build again, you'll have the cash.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think their cues play that similar, at least not to me they don't. I've owned both and prefer the hit of the Hunter. The Cog may be a more high dollar cue and for good reason. Joe Gold makes some of the most beautiful and original cues you can find anywhere. The finish and workmanship is top shelf. Both cues hold their value fairly well. Ariel Carmeli makes a somewhat similar cue to a a Cog. Also high dollar though.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
I have been playing with a cog for a long time and liked it a lot. Here is a picture of my cue.

CueTable Help

I had a chance to try a Hunter last year. The cue I tried was as stiff as mine. The balance point might be just a hair more forward. The workmanship was superb.

Bobby is really a top class gentleman and a very talented cuemaker, I would not hesitate to order a cue from him. Here is an interview I did with him at 2008 World 14.1 Championship last year. You can find his contact info towards the end of the video:

http://talk.cuetable.com/showthread.php?t=2568

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You're funny Scott. It was more like the other way around. Wondering why Joe Gold copied Bobby's taper on shafts including the short ferrule style. Don't go there Scott, JGold is not the coldest beer in the fridge and what he did to Bob was low, very, very low...

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam;

Next time you can come to HardTimes, let me know. I have a couple of Bobby's cues and I will let you give them a test drive. They are not for sale, but are indicative of how his cues play.

Mike

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BENFICA...I'm only saying exactly what Joey told me. If it's erroneous information...tell the real story. I've been 'out of the loop', with Joe, since 2000, and am unaware of what you speak. I meant no disrespect to Mr. Hunter, as I hold him in high regard, both as a pro player, and as a talented cuemaker. I've also found him to be pretty friendly, once he gets a chance to know you! :thumbup: Whenever I saw them together, it was always a friendly conversation...but as I say, I haven't spoken with Joe in almost 9 years (although I did get a PM here, within the last year, confirming what I posted :confused::sorry:).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

You're funny Scott. It was more like the other way around. Wondering why Joe Gold copied Bobby's taper on shafts including the short ferrule style. Don't go there Scott, JGold is not the coldest beer in the fridge and what he did to Bob was low, very, very low...

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had about 15 Cognoscenti cues and two Bobby Hunter cues and I think the Hunters played a little stiffer than the Cognoscentis. Of the 200+ cues I have owned over the past 15 years I cannot remember any other cues that specifically played like the Cognoscentis. I think if you really want one just save up and buy one, in the big scheme of things 1000 used or 1300 new is probably not too high for a cue of the quality of either a Hunter or Cognoscenti. The good thing about these cues is they hold up well in the secondary market. Just my .02 cents worth on the subject.

-don

i was listening the the commentary Bobby hunter did in the alex/svb match and i heard him say he was sharing a shop w/ joey gold?

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing with a cog for a long time and liked it a lot. Here is a picture of my cue.

CueTable Help

I had a chance to try a Hunter last year. The cue I tried was as stiff as mine. The balance point might be just a hair more forward. The workmanship was superb.

Bobby is really a top class gentleman and a very talented cuemaker, I would not hesitate to order a cue from him. Here is an interview I did with him at 2008 World 14.1 Championship last year. You can find his contact info towards the end of the video:

http://talk.cuetable.com/showthread.php?t=2568

Thanks for the link to the man! it's cool to be able to put a face to the name/cue

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam;

Next time you can come to HardTimes, let me know. I have a couple of Bobby's cues and I will let you give them a test drive. They are not for sale, but are indicative of how his cues play.

Mike

That'd be great Mike! i'm probably going to be there on wednesday for the tournament. any chance you'll be around wednesday?

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please elaborate on what you speak of... or do you just like running your mouth (or keyboard, in this case) making libelous statements about a respected cuemaker so you can appear to be "in the know"..?

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I met Bobby for the first time this last weekend, at Red Shoes. He was open and friendly and it sounds like he'll be making cues again soon.

Thanks for the link to the interview with Bobby.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
i was listening the the commentary Bobby hunter did in the alex/svb match and i heard him say he was sharing a shop w/ joey gold?

He was sharing a shop with Joey until August 2008. I am not sure exactly when he started sharing the shop but I think it was probably less than a year.

As the tadpole says, he should be setting up his shop in the Chicago area very soon.