Pool Cue Appraisal

EasyEd77

Registered
I am hoping someone on this forum can help appraise my old cue. It was a Christmas gift from 1992 from my dad. It’s my old Mali pool cue. I’ve looked on the web have never found another like it. I’m shopping for a cue for my son and it made me curious what mine is worth. It definitely still plays the same as 1992. It gets moderate use and has stood the test of time. Thank you!

Attachments

• 6D92B591-F63D-4304-B09C-4A60DD3DC766.jpeg
    6D92B591-F63D-4304-B09C-4A60DD3DC766.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 645
  • 3079A8B3-DB19-41A9-B772-02D58CC7B505.jpeg
    3079A8B3-DB19-41A9-B772-02D58CC7B505.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 662
  • AC691E23-C73F-41C7-80A9-23688C5F109B.jpeg
    AC691E23-C73F-41C7-80A9-23688C5F109B.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 637

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have been around for a long time and have around ten Mali cues.

I've never seen this one before.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s a beautiful Cue I love Mali cues.I have Five myself unfortunately for some reason God knows why they don’t have a big value wish they did but that’s nice

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
they were never considered a high end cue back then. my guess is 300 or so.
why not pass it on to him?

EasyEd77

Registered
they were never considered a high end cue back then. my guess is 300 or so.
why not pass it on to him?

He is only 10 but quite the competitor. We play about 3 games of 8 ball every night and I told him when he finally beats me I will get him a special present. He’s gotten real close a couple times, a few cracks at the 8 ball. When he wins I am going to present him the Viking cue I had his name engraved in. He doesn’t know I already bought it. I’m scared he will be careless and break mine Mali sticks are no longer made so parts need to be custom fit.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice pole $300 is my guess. Market has never been very kind to Mali’s

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Awesome. Good for you guys. My dad turned 70 on Friday. We rented a cabin in the mountains by Dollywood for the weekend. It had a pool table...on purpose. I know we played 100 games. Good times. I let him win a couple.

EasyEd77

Registered
I’ve been thinking of pulling some shots and letting him win. Sometimes I try and bank the 8 ball. I know if he earns that win it will make his gift extra special and he will be hooked for life.

I figured around $300 for the Mali, I really was hoping someone would recognize it. Maybe it’s worth more beings it’s a 1 of a kind ;-)? I’m an old soul and that stick is mine until it can no longer play. I’m real careful with it and don’t let anyone else use it so hopefully I will pass it down one day.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve been thinking of pulling some shots and letting him win. Sometimes I try and bank the 8 ball. I know if he earns that win it will make his gift extra special and he will be hooked for life.

I figured around $300 for the Mali, I really was hoping someone would recognize it. Maybe it’s worth more beings it’s a 1 of a kind ;-)? I’m an old soul and that stick is mine until it can no longer play. I’m real careful with it and don’t let anyone else use it so hopefully I will pass it down one day.

Do you happen to know TravisTrotter ?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you happen to know TravisTrotter ?

Oh goodness, I haven’t been here much last few years and I forgot about him. Now it’s back in my brain.

Eddie Wheat while I’m on a roll.....

Mali’s are great cues. I’ve always liked them. The OP cue is a pretty rare one, seems like I’ve seen it 1000000 years ago, but I’m not 100% on that.

Best
Fatboy

EasyEd77

Registered
IIRC the silver logo cues were some of the last made in the US. After these production was in China and cues had black Mali logo. Not 100% sure of this but pretty certain. Found it:http://www.billiardsforum.com/choosing-a-pool-cue/age-of-mali-cue-with-gold-logo Lists the dates by logo.

That is some good research. I am fairly positive I received it in 1992 so the silver label for the 90's matches what that page shows. I was a freshman in high school in 92 when my family purchased a pool table. The cue was a Christmas gift.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Proudest moment ever is when my boy put his first 5 pack on me to win the pocket knife that I carried. Just didn't think an 8 year old had that in him. He's 10 now and shoots perrty strong for his age haven't seen anything as impressive as that day but he's got the drive.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member

Greenie for you sir! Way to make him earn it, it will pay off in the end as you already know! :thumbup: