I need some questions answer and offer up some hack job pics for you to laugh at

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need some questions answered and I coffer up some hack job pics for you to laugh at

I am no table mechanic nor do I claim to be one but I am handy, know my way around a toolbox, know a thing or two about tables and have a passion for billiards so for me that's a formula to DIY some work on mine and my close friends tables who trust me to do some work.

With that said my friend has been complaining about his "loose bumpers" on his table ever since he hired an outside hack (pics below) to set it up after he bought it used online. I have played on his table several times since he had it installed and it is bad and keeps getting worse. All of the rubber was basically being held in place by the pressure of the cloth between the staples and the feather strip. To top it off the facings were cut poorly, and the ends of his new rubber he bought before the 'mechanics' came to set it up were all hacked up like they were cut with a hacksaw. The rail bolts were only finger tight in most spots and I think I know why when you see the pic below of the extra holes drilled to accept the rails into the table/slate that was not originally for this table make a weak area and the were afraid to over tighten them in fear of braking the little slate there is.

So the question is, what is the best way to clean up the old glue that is still on the rails that was not holding the rubber? It is very sticky and gummy. We are ordering new rubber (again) and I am going to buy some glue once I get the go from you guys. I hear DAP is suitable but so will 3M Fast-Bond10/super 77 (or the RKC equivalent). I do intend to glue the cloth per the RKC method that has been the staple (no pun intended) of the proper way to lay pool table cloth for over 10ish years. So maybe Ill just use that same glue.

Thanks for the help and enjoy the hack job pics.

https://imgur.com/a/cgKeDIL

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I am no table mechanic nor do I claim to be one but I am handy, know my way around a toolbox, know a thing or two about tables and have a passion for billiards so for me that's a formula to DIY some work on mine and my close friends tables who trust me to do some work.

With that said my friend has been complaining about his "loose bumpers" on his table ever since he hired an outside hack (pics below) to set it up after he bought it used online. I have played on his table several times since he had it installed and it is bad and keeps getting worse. All of the rubber was basically being held in place by the pressure of the cloth between the staples and the feather strip. To top it off the facings were cut poorly, and the ends of his new rubber he bought before the 'mechanics' came to set it up were all hacked up like they were cut with a hacksaw. The rail bolts were only finger tight in most spots and I think I know why when you see the pic below of the extra holes drilled to accept the rails into the table/slate that was not originally for this table make a weak area and the were afraid to over tighten them in fear of braking the little slate there is.

So the question is, what is the best way to clean up the old glue that is still on the rails that was not holding the rubber? It is very sticky and gummy. We are ordering new rubber (again) and I am going to buy some glue once I get the go from you guys. I hear DAP is suitable but so will 3M Fast-Bond10/super 77 (or the RKC equivalent). I do intend to glue the cloth per the RKC method that has been the staple (no pun intended) of the proper way to lay pool table cloth for over 10ish years. So maybe Ill just use that same glue.

Starting off in any trade, cutting your teeth and making mistakes and headway is how life is. When I was in my early 20's I started working on my 63 chevy bel aire…..I could Not afford to take it in. Instead of spending that money to have someone else work on it, I purchased My first set of socket wrenches, then open ends, then FF I ended up running auto/truck repair shops for 17 yrs, and still enjoy working on my own vehicles ( I just last year replaced the Volvo in tank fuel pump and exterior main pump. If you enjoy it, and you keep your word and fix any errors that you created n/c, you'll be on your way to a life. In my prime, I had 20% of my customers sign the repair sheet when they dropped their car off.....No estimate needed. Why? Because of Trust and they knew I would call em if repairs were different than projected.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Like you, I'm not a mechanic so take all this with a grain of salt. I don't see why you couldn't use Goo Gone or some other type of adhesive remover with a sharp razor blade. I'd just be sure all the residue from the remover is gone and the subrail is dry before you attempt to glue the cushions. Before gluing the rubber on, I'd cover the rail tops with blue painter's tape so you don't have to worry about getting adhesive on the rail tops. I also recommend blue painter's tape to hold the cushions in place after you apply the adhesive and let them dry overnight before you try to cut them. I'd go with the RKC-250 glue for the cushions and the cloth. That's what my mechanic used on my table and he said it works good. If you do not have the Simonis videos demonstrating their glue down method, I recommend it. If you educate yourself before taking this on and take your time during the process, I'm sure it will come out fine.

Some food for thought. You mentioned this table is pieced together with parts from different tables that don't quite fit right. What's the fix for that? Properly attached rubber will go a long way but if you can't properly attach/torque the rails, the table is still going to play poorly. Thus the question: Is it worth the time and expense to fix something that can't be completely fixed? Money might be better spent trying to find a more solid table.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like you, I'm not a mechanic so take all this with a grain of salt. I don't see why you couldn't use Goo Gone or some other type of adhesive remover with a sharp razor blade. I'd just be sure all the residue from the remover is gone and the subrail is dry before you attempt to glue the cushions. Before gluing the rubber on, I'd cover the rail tops with blue painter's tape so you don't have to worry about getting adhesive on the rail tops. I also recommend blue painter's tape to hold the cushions in place after you apply the adhesive and let them dry overnight before you try to cut them. I'd go with the RKC-250 glue for the cushions and the cloth. That's what my mechanic used on my table and he said it works good. If you do not have the Simonis videos demonstrating their glue down method, I recommend it. If you educate yourself before taking this on and take your time during the process, I'm sure it will come out fine.

Some food for thought. You mentioned this table is pieced together with parts from different tables that don't quite fit right. What's the fix for that? Properly attached rubber will go a long way but if you can't properly attach/torque the rails, the table is still going to play poorly. Thus the question: Is it worth the time and expense to fix something that can't be completely fixed? Money might be better spent trying to find a more solid table.

Him buying a new table is not in the cards. He's not much of a pool player, as a matter of fact he only plays when I come over, it's more of a piece of furniture in his house. I will take credit for the idea of doing the work, I offered it to him as a favor since he is also my realtor and helped me out a lot in tbe last few weeks. I am training myself for when my house closes I may be finding a decent table used that I will set up myself. I've owned and taken apart/reassembled tables in the past.

As for the rails not tight, I'll get them tight enough and plan to use a bit of blue thread lock to keep them from loosing up. It'll have to work, we have no other options.

As for the RKC glue method, I was there in IL when he gave the demonstration over the course of two days. I vaguely recall all the steps but have gathered enough info here and on YouTube that I think I should be fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited: