Better equipment, shafts, Tips, and Kamui Chalk, but the 526 RUN RECORDS Stands?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Kind of funny Willie Mosconi 526 Straight Pool Run Record Set in Springfield Illinois, in 1954 still stands.:cool:

In 2011 we got better equipment, High Tech Laminated Shafts, Super Layered Cue Tips, and Kamui Chalk but the Famous Straight Pool Run of 526 BALLS IN A ROW RECORDS Still Stands.:smile:

Anyone have a theory why some Hot Shot Pool player has not BROKEN Willie's Records in the last 57 YEARS, and maybe Run 1,000 BALLS in A ROW!
:boring2:

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Give any of the top straight pool players the same table Mosconi used, one month to practice on it, and any of them will have a legitimate chance to break his record. There is just no incentive for them to try to break it, so they don't.

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of funny Willie Mosconi 526 Straight Pool Run Record Set in Springfield Illinois, in 1954 still stands.:cool:

In 2011 we got better equipment, High Tech Laminated Shafts, Super Layered Cue Tips, and Kamui Chalk but the Famous Straight Pool Run of 526 BALLS IN A ROW RECORDS Still Stands.:smile:

Anyone have a theory why some Hot Shot Pool player has not BROKEN Willie's Records in the last 57 YEARS, and maybe Run 1,000 BALLS in A ROW!

Yes,
Straight pool gets much less attention by player than it did 50 yrs ago. If the top pros all played it as their main game, I imagine that the record would have been broken by now. Also, if I am not mistaken, that record was done on an 8 ft table, not the 9's played on today.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Name one pool tournament where it was race to 600 balls on an oversized 8-ft table with 4 3/4 " corners.

I think 300 on Diamond table would be tougher .

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It's not just the table, 526 is the recognized record but there have been witnesses to Mosconi running 595 in practice, Eufemia ran 625 and Cranfield supposedly ran 768. 526 is the record by virtue of the fact that it is the highest run in a public exhibition, it is certainly not the highest ever run. And the only way to break that record would be to do it in a public forum, otherwise you'd have to recognize 768 as the record.

It would be broken if Straight Pool was the primary competitive game, but the fact is most pros don't practice it seriously except for when the World 14.1 Championship comes around. On top of that, I've heard Thorsten Hohmann never runs more that 150-200 balls in practice because that's the most he'd ever need to do in competition.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It's not just the table, 526 is the recognized record but there have been witnesses to Mosconi running 595 in practice, Eufemia ran 625 and Cranfield supposedly ran 768. 526 is the record by virtue of the fact that it is the highest run in a public exhibition, it is certainly not the highest ever run. And the only way to break that record would be to do it in a public forum, otherwise you'd have to recognize 768 as the record.

It would be broken if Straight Pool was the primary competitive game, but the fact is most pros don't practice it seriously except for when the World 14.1 Championship comes around. On top of that, I've heard Thorsten Hohmann never runs more that 150-200 balls in practice because that's the most he'd ever need to do in competition.

I recall seeing Straight Pool was being played on BLACK & WHITE TV in the 1950, where the competitors were dress in Business Suits.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Not a lot of top pros play straight pool and the ones that do, don't play on 8 foot tables with bucket pockets. If there were $50k posted, it wouldn't last a year.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Reference Willie's Game, the Mosconi Book Page # 246! Springfield Illinois, in 1954

The run was made in Springfield Ohio at the East High billiard club.
I played on the table in '68....Russ Maddox, one of the owners, pointed
it out to me....the pockets were big, at least 5 inch corners.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
The run was made in Springfield Ohio at the East High billiard club.
I played on the table in '68....Russ Maddox, one of the owners, pointed
it out to me....the pockets were big, at least 5 inch corners.

Here's a copy of the signed affidavit of Mosconi's High Run.

d9744-4.jpg

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

From what i hear mosconi wouldn't play on a table with pockets that were under 5". So to me John Schmidts run of 403 is way more impressive because the table he was playing on had way tighter pockets

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cicero Murphy

Mr. Murphy ran one ball under the same number, twice, but not in a public setting..., if he had a crowd behind him.., oh yea!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you would like to see it broken, put 5k up and see how long it lasts:smile:

Well, i'm sure if you just videotaped it, you'd be able to recoup the 5k and then some in tape sales.

This record aint just gonna disappear if you put up 5k. In fact, I bet it would last longer if you put a dollar amount on it like that.

I find a lot of this talk disingenuous. Let's face it, players think about nothing more than being admired and remember and recognition. They ALL know if they break this record, they go down in the record books forever. Not to mention what they know it would do for their careers monetarily as well as their popularity and endorsements etc. Breaking it would be worth A LOT more than just practicing for some tournament. But none of them has done it. IT is like the player that tells himself "i would have gotten out if it really mattered." We all have this attitude, yet it is bs. If somebody hasn't done it, there is a reason for that, namely that nobody has been capable.

Last edited:

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member
put any straight pool player ... a good 1 like john shmidt...... thorsten n put them on that table ,,,,, i bet they run 2442432536764 balls.... but they gotta have alot of free time

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And once again provoking a fight and having no clue.

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from what i was told via the grapevine from an old pro that owns the pool hall i play in that mosconi just got bored and tired and quit that high ball run. it is said he could of kept going but said what was the point.