Is one pocket only popular in the US?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t really hear about new top one pocket players emerging from outside the US. It seems like most non American players who end up being top one pocket players usually end up that way after playing in the US often. Even though Efren is probably the best ever at the game, he learned and mastered the game over here. Does anyone know why it isn’t popular in other countries? It’s such a fascinating game.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve never heard anyone in my part of Canada ever mention 1 pocket.

Pool here means 8 ball unless otherwise specified,

Games other than 8 ball are played but I wouldn’t call any of them ‘popular.’ 9 ball is played but far from popular...most likely in a tournament but not among the 99% who bang balls around.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
One pocket is popular enough to have a One Pocket Forum, I like the game. It it slow, and like CHESS on a Pool Table. Take a mind that works out of the box to play well.

If you love fast Veidovideo games, it not your game ONE POCKET that is.

JMHO

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It does seem like many of the international monsters don’t seem to take it up until they’ve flown in and gotten exposed to it in the US. But I couldn’t say for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
One pocket is popular enough to have a One Pocket Forum, I like the game. It it slow, and like CHESS on a Pool Table. Take a mind that works out of the box to play well.

JMHO

I love video games and One Pocket.

Surprised you can count to 8 to play it, or do you get big spots and only have to go to 3?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

Games other than 8 ball are played but I wouldn’t call any of them ‘popular.’ 9 ball is played but far from popular...most likely in a tournament but not among the 99% who bang balls around.

1 pocket has a small following here in Saskatoon (Canada :thumbup:) ... nothing like 8 or 9 ball, but there are certainly some here who prefer it to any other game.

Hi Doug, hi Jerry, hi Trevor :wave2:

Dave

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I love video games and One Pocket.

Surprised you can count to 8 to play it, or do you get big spots and only have to go to 3?

Why don't you just go back to school, and learn to read minds. Then you would not have to look stupid asking stupid questions.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

London On has a fair amount of one pocket action.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you just go back to school, and learn to read minds. Then you would not have to look stupid asking stupid questions.

Thicker than sir-mix-a lot can get behind.

Attachments

• IMG_2432.JPG
    IMG_2432.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 471

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1 pocket has a small following here in Saskatoon (Canada :thumbup:) ... nothing like 8 or 9 ball, but there are certainly some here who prefer it to any other game.

Hi Doug, hi Jerry, hi Trevor :wave2:

Dave

That’s a Positive, the more games the better. Among my group ( about 140 players) it’s 8 ball, ‘Golf’, and Snooker. I also play a few other games but that’s just with 3 or 4 friends....like Side Pocket..

If you went into 100 bars tonight in the city..it would be all 8 ball. Snooker at the legion and a couple of pool halls. Might Find a 9 ball match but leagues are 8 ball.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be fair, it seems to me that 1p is only played by short stops, semi-pros and pros in the US unless you find a niche community. I don’t know if any run of the mill tournament players and leaguers that play it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket seems to be less chess than shredding your opponent between pool and the bet. I enjoy rolling the balls around as an "intellectual" challenge but that's only because a game rarely comes up. If it was common, I'd get bored with it soon enough.

That might be the climate in Europe and Asia. They're obsessed with skill and marksmanship, not the grind; at least not that grind.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

JMHO

Eh, fast vidya games are about hand eye coordination and pattern recognition. Those skills sure can’t hurt your game. 1P requires a lot more skills but adding these can’t hurt as long as you understand it’s more about tactics and thinking than flashy quick play.

I wish somebody around me played 1P, I’m trying to learn and it’s tough when it’s just me and my wife trying to learn a game nobody plays. Lots of 9 ball gamblers here, maybe I could get them to bite for a couple bucks a game.