Toughest Table?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Which table brand do you think plays the most difficult straight from the factory?

No special or modified rails. Just whatever they have commercially available.

I was thinking Diamond.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which table brand do you think plays the most difficult straight from the factory?

I was thinking Diamond.

What game?

Russian Pyramid?
Chinese 8 ball?
Snooker?

Diamond wouldn’t be in the top 25.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

I was thinking Diamond.

The now-defunct Pacific Billiards here in Saskatoon had a batch of 9' National tables that were extremely tough, tight pockets that had a habit of spitting back any ball a little off and a little fast. I can't see them ever having been modified and assume they come that way. Not sure if you overplayed on them but I found them tougher than the GCs in Hard Times Bellflower (tournament side), any Diamond I've played on, and certainly harder than the various Dufferins (Challengers. Titans, etc) I play on these days.

Dave

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What game?

Russian Pyramid?
Chinese 8 ball?
Snooker?

Diamond wouldn’t be in the top 25.
'Top 25' brands and Diamond wouldn't be in there? Gimme a break. How many AZ regulars do you think play Ch. 8b or Russian Pyramid? Probably not that many play snooker on a regular basis. Pretty sure OP was referring to pool tables. All i know is a Diamond w/ProCut pockets and broken-in Simonis(not that new slick crap) play pretty damn tough.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
'THow many AZ regulars do you think play Ch. 8b or Russian Pyramid?

On behalf of my entire country I apologize for his elitism; we can't all be polite or respectful. Perhaps he will win the 2021 US Open 9-ball to show us all how easy pool is while he scoffs at us heathens. It might just be too far beneath him though.

I did mean pool, but was not aware I had to spell that out.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Standard Diamond tables play harder then standard Gold Crowns due to the longer shelf.
I play on both at my room and the Crowns feel like buckets compared to a Diamond.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On behalf of my entire country I apologize for his elitism; we can't all be polite or respectful. Perhaps he will win the 2021 US Open 9-ball to show us all how easy pool is while he scoffs at us heathens. It might just be too far beneath him though.

I did mean pool, but was not aware I had to spell that out.

Events like the US Open have less to do with pool ability than combat worthiness. The players that are allowed to perform get through.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, forgot. Murrey's were very tough; stock. Shimmed tables as well as the assortment of European torture devices.will always be tougher.

I'm waiting for the jawless pocket to happen. Without jaws, you can have a 3.5" aperture you "can" slam from anywhere; including down the rail.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Standard Diamond tables play harder then standard Gold Crowns due to the longer shelf.
I play on both at my room and the Crowns feel like buckets compared to a Diamond.

Standard Gold Crowns have recreational pocket sizes.
Easily 4 3/4 corners.
Shelf depth doesn't even matter.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I dunno..but on here I have read complaints about Oulhausen (sp?) tables being hard to make rail shots on..

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely Diamond. First, the shelf is way deeper than anything else. Second, the rails fundamentally changed the game. Both the rebound speed and the rebound angle. Even the Blue label is still not similar to most other tables over the past 50 years.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

I was thinking Diamond.

Years ago, I played on a $200 Sears table with, I’m guessing, compressed board top with extra fuzzy cloth and plastic rails. THAT was the most difficult table. I punched a hole in it after I was done playing.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I dunno..but on here I have read complaints about Oulhausen (sp?) tables being hard to make rail shots on..

Yeah they don’t let you get away with anything. I actually love this aspect of my table, you have to work for the shots and understand pocket speed. You can make rail shots just fine but you better be able to pick the wings off a fly with the cue ball. The table isn’t unfair but it’s mercilessly if you hit some shots badly.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rasson plays little more difficult than Diamond. Shelf is even deeper than Diamond. Which is bad.. When ball is hanging you cant hit it rail first many times because pockets too deep.
Hate em. Rails also super springy when old cloth in rails. Similar with red label Diamonds..

Robert.Beak

Registered
I'd say the first generation diamonds.

They completely changed the game around my area

I changed the club specifically because of the tables, something constantly happened to them, I confess, the place where I went to play was more like a pub, so only the atmosphere kept me there. I remember how almost every year they brought a new table and it was worse than the previous one, now every friday I play on new tables, and yes it's Diamond's

Robert.Beak

Registered
I changed the club specifically because of the tables, something constantly happened to them, I confess, the place where I went to play was more like a pub, so only the atmosphere kept me there. I remember how almost every year they brought a new table and it was worse than the previous one, now every friday I play on new tables, and yes it's Diamond's

If we're talking about tables here, let me get a little distracted:groucho:
How tough is this table?
This is former martial arts fighter Steve Vineck from Fredericktown, Missouri who created a huge pool table, its length is 9.1 meters. He made it on the site of his pool, spending 39 thousand dollars on the construction of the largest billiard table took about 250 hours, local enterprises provided it with the necessary material, provided 38 sleepers and five trucks of gravel, and also used four cubic meters of concrete, which helped to make the surface smooth. The sleepers were used to make curbs around the playing field. Steve Vinek tried to strictly adhere to all proportions and therefore his pool table is the same as ordinary tables, but only four times larger. The pockets correspond to the balls, which were colored bowling balls weighing 2.7 kilograms. A cue for such a billiard table would be too heavy, so the balls are rolled only by hand.
By the way, Steve Vinek came up with a new sport - knockers, a kind of mixture of billiards and bowling. In 1985 he participated in a billiard league and thought it would be good to play on the court, hence the desire to build a giant billiard table
210.jpg
112.jpg

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago, I played on a $200 Sears table with, I’m guessing, compressed board top with extra fuzzy cloth and plastic rails. THAT was the most difficult table. I punched a hole in it after I was done playing.

I hope it was your table!

I played at Breaktime on Gandy big G’s in college. Total gaff tables that you had to hit balls pocket speed down the rails or they would jar every time. That was tough table.