Changing weight on predator cue?

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 19 oz Predator break cue and would like to make it 18 ozs....anybody know how to do this? THANKS

jer9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that Falcon weight bolts work. Or you could whittle down the shaft. ;)

cheers,
jer9ball

jjinfla

Banned
Take the end cap off and see if Predator uses a weight bolt. If they do then all you have to do is remove it and replace it with one that weighs one oz less.

I know that McDermott uses the weight bolt and they can be bought for a few bucks at a pool supply house.

If they don't use a removeable weight then the only option I see is to take your cue to a cue maker and see if he would drill out some of the wood from the butt of your cue.

Don't know what that might do to the balance of the cue.

Or you can go to the Predator website and ask for their advice on how to do this.

And whatever you do, do not change the weight prior to a tournament. I added 2 oz to my McDermott break cue before a best of tournament and my breaks sold me down the river. Nothing went right. I either made nothing on the break and left an open table or I scratched and left an open table. A total disaster!

Jake
Jake

Walt in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Predator I had was not a break cue, but a LE99. After removing the butt cap, I found a steel weight bolt with a 6MM hex key head. (You can pick up a set of metric Allen wrenches at most auto supply stores.) Removing it dropped the weight and improved the balance, IMO.

Walt in VA

Barry Doc

1p / 14.1 Hack / aka bdoc
Silver Member
hey elnino,
why don't you just snap some of the butt end off---- like you normally do?
just bustin' on you buddy. we got to meet up at v/f expo and sweat some
matches. i'll get you a good cigar!

C

CueHunter

EL'nino said:
I have a 19 oz Predator break cue and would like to make it 18 ozs....anybody know how to do this? THANKS

Everyone is right on the thread. Predator butts are made by Falcon. At least most of them. Now they have a LE 10 that was made by Mezz but that is a different topic. Take the bumper off. You will see a hex bolt. Take it out. See how it feels. If it is too light you can buy a shorter bolt. That is how you would adjust the weight somewhat accurately. The bolts come in 2" increments 6" being the largest. I believe the 6" bolt weighs 2oz or so. Also, the bolts come in two flavors....Aluminum and stainless steel. The stainless is much heavier. You can tell what you have if the bolt has a shine to it or bright silver it is the aluminum if it is drab in color it is the steel. If you need to buy one call Falcon or Predator and they will send you one for 2 or 3 dollars. Or just go to your local hardware store and you may find one there. Hope this helps.

john noe

Registered
Taking screw/bolt out of predator cue

So instead of paying for a Predator wrench to take their weight out I screwed a couple of 3 inch screws through a piece of wood and used that. It worked. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with this but it's the first thing that popped into my mind.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is right on the thread. Predator butts are made by Falcon. At least most of them. Now they have a LE 10 that was made by Mezz but that is a different topic. Take the bumper off. You will see a hex bolt. Take it out. See how it feels. If it is too light you can buy a shorter bolt. That is how you would adjust the weight somewhat accurately. The bolts come in 2" increments 6" being the largest. I believe the 6" bolt weighs 2oz or so. Also, the bolts come in two flavors....Aluminum and stainless steel. The stainless is much heavier. You can tell what you have if the bolt has a shine to it or bright silver it is the aluminum if it is drab in color it is the steel. If you need to buy one call Falcon or Predator and they will send you one for 2 or 3 dollars. Or just go to your local hardware store and you may find one there. Hope this helps.

Or, you could just remove the bolt and cut it in half with a hacksaw.
For more precise adjustment, weigh it with a kitchen scale that measures in grams, decide what % of its weight you want to remove, measure it’s length, then shorten it by that same %. But remember, best to cut slightly less than your calculation, since you can always cut more later.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or, you could just remove the bolt and cut it in half with a hacksaw.
For more precise adjustment, weigh it with a kitchen scale that measures in grams, decide what % of its weight you want to remove, measure it’s length, then shorten it by that same %. But remember, best to cut slightly less than your calculation, since you can always cut more later.

It also helps to screw a nut on the weight bolt before you cut it to help dress the threads up at the cut in addition to some good file work. Obviously a tap would be better.

Keith