House cue conversion

billsey

Registered
I have an older house cue that I'd like to convert to a sneaky pete. It has a real nice, honey colored, patina on the surface though and I expect I'd have to sand or mill at least a little bit off in order for the joint to fit smoothly. How do others do it, or is it just bite the bullet and live with a new finish?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an older house cue that I'd like to convert to a sneaky pete. It has a real nice, honey colored, patina on the surface though and I expect I'd have to sand or mill at least a little bit off in order for the joint to fit smoothly. How do others do it, or is it just bite the bullet and live with a new finish?

Good morning
You could leave it as is. Put a piece of tape around the Joint and sand the shaft flush.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes you most likely would need to sand it a little. If there is no finish and the cue is greenish like most old shafts and house cues. You can use a little water and rub it back and forth across the area that was sanded to pick up the dirt and make the color match again. That is a method I use if someone does not want their shaft cleaned when installing a new ferrule.