Senimg Chen Won Her WPBA Qualifier

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
First time in the US and beats Corr in the final. The Chinese guy that is playing in the 4Bear is playing Corey in the final. If he wins the 4Bear it will a 1-2 punch for two Chinese in their first time in the US. Johnnyt

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Is she the one that Jay Helfert is high on?

Yes. More amazing is that she has to "qualify" for the WPBA. They should reserve a certain amount of spots for foreign pros who have reached professional level. It's an affront to make a top ten player in the world qualify.

As for the top Chinese players overall, they have almost no weaknesses because they train relentlessly. They almost always get out when they are supposed to, they almost always make the right decisions at the table. They don't have any give up in them. So basically any time they enter an event they are super tough to beat.

5am

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the event that Senimg Chen won today. I also watched her for a number of hours on Friday as she practiced and got used to the tables and venue conditions. Her stroke is a thing of beauty. Her cue ball control is superb. I, and a bunch of the other crusty old guys watching her for the last few days, could find not a chink in her game. She really is the complete player.

PoolJunkie216

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Qualifying for the WPBA means jack shit these days as they have run that organization into the ground. They should have to qualify for her or the other Asians for the time they have to spend playing in what little remains of the tour.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. More amazing is that she has to "qualify" for the WPBA. They should reserve a certain amount of spots for foreign pros who have reached professional level. It's an affront to make a top ten player in the world qualify.

As for the top Chinese players overall, they have almost no weaknesses because they train relentlessly. They almost always get out when they are supposed to, they almost always make the right decisions at the table. They don't have any give up in them. So basically any time they enter an event they are super tough to beat.

All other foreign players before her have had to qualify through the regional tour system. The WPBA is just being consistent and treating everyone he same. There is nothing wrong with that.

I watched her play yesterday and she is definitely the real deal. She beat Karen Corr 7-4 for the hot seat and beat her again 7-2 in the final.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of two Japanese pool players, Miyuki and Hiroshi, who came to Richmond, Virginia, as their first stop on the American tournament trail. Hiroshi couldn't speak English, so Miyuki interpreted. It was a regional tour with a male and female tournament.

Language, however, was no barrier. Hiroshi Takenaka won the male division, and while everyone was waiting for the female tournament to finish, Hiroshi engaged in a game of darts with some locals, laughing it up, having a grand old time. It was one of the most memorable tournaments I have been to.

Soon thereafter, Miyuki Sakai won the ladies' event. Imagine, fresh off the airplane, their first stop in America, and they each won. It was kind of cool!

Miyuki and Hiroshi after their great win. Hiroshi was such a nice guy. Couldn't speak or understand one word of English, yet he warmed everybody's heart. :cool:

Attachments

• miyukiandhiroshi.JPG
    miyukiandhiroshi.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 358

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
All other foreign players before her have had to qualify through the regional tour system. The WPBA is just being consistent and treating everyone he same. There is nothing wrong with that.

I watched her play yesterday and she is definitely the real deal. She beat Karen Corr 7-4 for the hot seat and beat her again 7-2 in the final.

Actually ALL players wanting to play on the WPBA now have to qualify through the regional tour system. But I have said it in the past that there ought to be an exception for professional class players who have achieved high rankings already.

Sorry it's very stupid in my eyes to make a world champion qualify for a pro tour spot in my opinion. Not only that but Si Ming also takes away a spot that an aspiring amateur could have claimed.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Actually ALL players wanting to play on the WPBA now have to qualify through the regional tour system. But I have said it in the past that there ought to be an exception for professional class players who have achieved high rankings already.

Sorry it's very stupid in my eyes to make a world champion qualify for a pro tour spot in my opinion. Not only that but Si Ming also takes away a spot that an aspiring amateur could have claimed.

wait, why is it better for an aspiring amateur to get a certain spot vs. a champion?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record her name is Chen Si Ming. Si Ming is her first name.

JB,
I am glad that she is here to visit but there isn't any money to be had in the WPBA or in the US for women. Isn't there more money in Asia?

Is her trip subsidized?:confused:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
wait, why is it better for an aspiring amateur to get a certain spot vs. a champion?

I feel that the qualifying spots should be reserved for women who are working their way into the pro ranks and not for women who are already recognized and ranked professionals.

When a woman has already snapped off major events then she shouldn't need to qualify for a spot on the tour. I understand it's the system and so on but I think that there should be allowances for players of obvious stature.

On the China Tour for example Kelly Fisher was not made to qualify. She was granted a spot in the main field for the first season and if she were to fall below the top sixteen then she would have to get back in through qualifiers.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JB,
I am glad that she is here to visit but there isn't any money to be had in the WPBA or in the US for women. Isn't there more money in Asia?

Is her trip subsidized?:confused:

I would not know if her trip is subsidized or not. I assume that she has sponsors who are paying her way. As to what money there is or isn't there must be a reason why Chen wants to play in whatever WPBA events there are to play in. Could be she wants the titles because then those titles could be worth more back in China. You would have to ask her.

Or she might have just wanted to travel to America.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I feel that the qualifying spots should be reserved for women who are working their way into the pro ranks and not for women who are already recognized and ranked professionals.

When a woman has already snapped off major events then she shouldn't need to qualify for a spot on the tour. I understand it's the system and so on but I think that there should be allowances for players of obvious stature.

Yeah but before an aspiring pro makes it, shouldn't she need to beat someone of stature to get there? She doesn't just get it gifted to her. If she can't beat a strong player in the qualifier, than she'll have no shot beating several strong players in a major down the road.

Conversely, if a known pro dogs it in the qualifier, maybe they don't deserve a pass.

Seems to me merit is the ideal way to handle it. If there's only room for one or the other, then let the best woman win.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2010, S. Chang, comes to the US and is qualifed at the Hardtimes against short stops and went on to take 2nd to Gerda in San Diego.