Earl Strickland

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Paying to watch Earl play is getting old. We have got to find better matches to watch on Pay Per View than Earl. He WAS a great player but those days are behind him. His antics are getting worse and his skill level is greatly diminished.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paying to watch Earl play is getting old. We have got to find better matches to watch on Pay Per View than Earl. He WAS a great player but those days are behind him. His antics are getting worse and his skill level is greatly diminished.

sorry ti hear that...
Earl was definitely one of the best players ever

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I don't think his skills have diminished all that much, if at all.

The Game has changed due to the cloth & rail material, etc. & that has allowed many to come up in level to compete in a different manner.

Earl's manner of competing is better suited to the 'old days' where a stroke was needed & more thinking involved.

The game has been changed by the equipment...

& the rules.

All Best Wishes for All.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

Dont know if you watch the free stream Daniel Busch puts on for Hard TImes Billiards and surrounding halls - lots of events and archives.

POVPOOL.COM

Lesh

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry ti hear that...
Earl was definitely one of the best players ever

I agree...was definitely one of the best players ever.
However, not the most mentally stable players ever.

Perhaps a bit comparable to John McEnroe (the tennis dude).

I used to love watching John play tennis, just as I used to love watching Earl.

No mas.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It started to get old for me when he played Efren in the Color of Money (match) in
Hong Kong.

I began to sense something was wrong with him when he acted like he did in that match.
Had he maintained his wits, there is no doubt in my mind Earl would have won and
not let Efren make the comeback that he did.

It was the beginning of the end for Earl, subsequent wins notwithstanding.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It started to get old for me when he played Efren in the Color of Money (match) in
Hong Kong.

I began to sense something was wrong with him when he acted like he did in that match.
Had he maintained his wits, there is no doubt in my mind Earl would have won and
not let Efren make the comeback that he did.

It was the beginning of the end for Earl, subsequent wins notwithstanding.

That match was in 1996. Earl exhibited horrible sportsmanship long before that.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

The Game has changed due to the cloth & rail material, etc. & that has allowed many to come up in level to compete in a different manner.

Earl's manner of competing is better suited to the 'old days' where a stroke was needed & more thinking involved.

& the rules.

All Best Wishes for All.
Sure it has.
Half the game is mental.
His head is whacked now .

This old cloth thinking was the same thinking Sigel had when he came back. He made everyone play on Mali cloth. Like the pros have no stroke to get around the table in an 8-ball game .
Keith was beat by Gerda .
Sigel was beat by Efren badly.
Manalo and Hohmann played one finals match.

The great pros will adjust to the cloth and cushions .
Earl is not even a top 30 now I think.
He is a shadow of the player he was .
That comes with age .

I like watch he is funny and a good guy i am eric robert moreman.

I PAY $30.00 DOLLARDS TOO EARL BE EARL STRICKLAND AND LIKE IT ALL HAD GREAT CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH I LIKE ALOT I AM ERIC. ROBERT MOREMAN AND I. POOL AT KINGS OF BILLIARDS IN AKRON OHIO 44319 PHONE 3306443985 BEST ON TOO PLAY POOL SWEET HOT YOUNG WOMEN WAIT GET WHAT YOU WANT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I PAY $30.00 DOLLARDS TOO EARL BE EARL STRICKLAND AND LIKE IT ALL HAD GREAT CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH I LIKE ALOT I AM ERIC. ROBERT MOREMAN AND I. POOL AT KINGS OF BILLIARDS IN AKRON OHIO 44319 PHONE 3306443985 BEST ON TOO PLAY POOL SWEET HOT YOUNG WOMEN WAIT GET WHAT YOU WANT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Eric, do tell us some more about these hot young women!!! A trip to Kings of Billiards in Akron OHIO 44319 PHONE 3306443985 may just be in order!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
From the way he acts sometimes, many people point out to me that Earl displays classic bi-polar systems. Playing pool is Earl's best marketable skill, and earning a living in pool is tough. So likely he doesn't have the money for regular treatment.

Old joke but relevant. What is the difference between a large pizza and a professional pool player? The former can feed a family of four.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Maybe I'll get blasted for this opinion, but I enjoy the drama of Earl playing. It makes the game more interesting to me.

It's a guilty pleasure, because I love this game and I do take it seriously. If Earl pulled his antics on me I'm sure I would hate it and probably fold like a table.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's appropriate - and that's exactly why it's interesting.

Reactions: KRJ

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concur with those that state his playing ability hasn't declined that much. What has substantially declined is his ability to focus. He gets derailed far more easily than in his prime. If he could just focus on the task at hand he'd still be very dangerous, but he hasn't been able to for years. He should really read some sports psychology books or seek out a therapist.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'll get blasted for this opinion, but I enjoy the drama of Earl playing. It makes the game more interesting to me.

It's a guilty pleasure, because I love this game and I do take it seriously. If Earl pulled his antics on me I'm sure I would hate it and probably fold like a table.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's appropriate - and that's exactly why it's interesting.

It is sometimes entertaining but usually just disappointing.

I remember a few years ago he played SVB in a race to 75 in 9 ball for TAR. He had something like a 65-63 lead and then basically just quit. He made some comment to a fan about playing poorly and then proceeded to lose something near 10 games in a row. It turned a great match into a huge disappointment. He clearly had the ability to win, but sabotaged himself and the fans in the process.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concur with those that state his playing ability hasn't declined that much. What has substantially declined is his ability to focus. He gets derailed far more easily than in his prime. If he could just focus on the task at hand he'd still be very dangerous, but he hasn't been able to for years. He should really read some sports psychology books or seek out a therapist.

Completely agree -- Earl no longer has the eye of the tiger look -- But in any match, for a while, he displays shot making ability that is off the charts...

PoolChump

Banned

Blame age. When you get older, you lose vision, hand and eye coordination, balance, and stamina. He will never be as good as he was in his prime, but can still beat 99% of the players out there. :confused:

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member

& the rules.

All Best Wishes for All.

Couldn't agree more with this post about Earl!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People are shocked a guy who dropped out of school to hustle pool in bars and pool halls has some rough edges.

Reactions: KRJ

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO Earl was the best nine baller I've ever seen. Bar none.
I believe that the things that make him whacky are the things that made so good on the table.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys act like he got roasted. Set wise he kind of did but 3 of those six sets were 9-8 9-8 9-7. Of course he might have lost a step since his prime but Earl can still hang with most of them if he can win the battle against himself.