Earl Strickland

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you might be hard pressed to get 1/10 of those numbers for anybody watching here if you can convince anyone to even play. It makes watching paint dry seem exciting

I think there are many part to the problem/solution, but firstly its important to understand why those viewing figures were so high this year...Ding got to the final, lets not forget tha'ts the first time a Chinese player has ever managed that! I'd imagine thats possibly 295 out of your 300 million (not exactly sure but I'd guess given the population of the UK is only around 60 mil, even 5mil would be a good result)!

I may exaggerate slightly, but you get the idea, as does Barry Hearn, hence the constantly increasing numbers of tournaments and promotions over in China, there's no reason pool couldn't do the same (in theory)!

The problem with pool is that you have so many disciplines, English Pool, Chinese Pool, American Pool and within those different games different rules too. Snooker is standardised (pretty much, I know some new tournaments such as the shootout are different), which makes it much easier for the viewer.

The other problem is that a snooker table is tough to play on, anyone (over here at least) can go into a club and feel they have an idea of what the pro's play on (of course pro tables are even tougher in reality, but club tables are still hard enough that very few even make 30 breaks on a regular basis).

Now people on here of course realise that a pro pool table is also tough and that due to the fact your opponent is likely to clear up if you miss, the game is still difficult, but to the standard viewer (especially in the UK who has maybe played 8 ball with UK rules on a US table with 5 inch pockets) it just seems too easy.

You also need a flagship event, the snooker world championships are by far the most watched out of all the snooker tournaments, I'm not sure of the figures, but in the UK alone I'd guess probably 5x as many people watch the WC to any other events (possibly with the exception of the Masters).

Personally I feel that for US pool (as in the game, not pool in America specifically) to grow, the world championships need to be back on mainstream networks in the UK and US. When they were in Cardiff it looked to be going the right way and even casual fans knew the names of Earl, Efren etc. now ask anyone in a pool hall who the current world champion is (you'd either get a blank look or someone asking which discipline of the many available, if they were a hardcore fan)!

My view (as is generally the case) is to trust those in the know, I'm sure there is a reason why Barry Hearn has only ever backed 9-Ball events, its good TV. Non call shot 9-Ball is fast and exciting, short races are (probably) hated by the players and hardcore fans, but great TV for a wider audience. So personally, even though there are many great games within pool I think for the sport to grow globally everyone needs to promote 9-Ball and somehow get the WC back on TV!

If it gets on mainstream channels such as the BBC here in the UK then the educational process starts (as with snooker where they show the viewer the pockets are tighter than club tables etc.) and that generates interest!

Oh and I just remembered this thread was originally about Earl!

Higgins (Alex and John), Ronnie and Stephen Lee are 3 examples that have all been fined (or worse) for various offences, that said, especially in Ronnie's case, I suspect in the time it takes him to write the cheque he's earnt more than he's paying out ;-)

But the point is they were all disciplined, Alex even attacked an official lets not forget, Earl didn't quite do that and he did buy flowers afterwards!

But in short the game does need characters, I bet he's one of the few players that more than a handful of UK casual viewers would recognise (I'm not excusing his behaviour btw, merely saying that it probably does increase viewers).

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually she does act very much like a doucher sometimes & that is what gets to them... but knowing what I learned they now have a better understanding. Besides a very hard life, some of which they knew, she is also bipolar & getting meds to work right at the right times is a challenge unto itself & the hard life makes matters worse. I may as well say that it was rape by a step 'father' & multiple suicide attempts of which they did not know.

Only Earl knows Earl & maybe a doctor... or two.

That is a terrible set of circumstances to say the least. I am not going to assume anything about earls situation aside from pool. The fact remains that he has an attitude that jibes with none else but himself. I've seen matches where he starts his antics on the very first shot of the match. there wasn't even enough time for anybody to make him angry. If it's just a tactic to mentally align himself, then shame on him. If it's a true condition of some kind, the best of luck to him in finding a way to manage it, because what he is doing thus far is not working.

He is a phenomenal player. I tried to sit through a couple of matches last night and just couldn't do it. I can watch alot of other world class pool and not see even a hint of what earl shows on a regular basis. There is a point where talent stops making up for your shortcomings as a person.

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yep i'm serious. The nba wouldn't even be able to keep a crowd for a game that lasted hours on end for several days. What was it, like 5 hrs a day, 3 days in a row? The nba playoffs don't put on games for 5 hrs a day and they even have way more entertainment to keep a live crowd happy. And did i mention that the fans are allowed to have way more fun when they attend an nba game? Yes, i'm serious. Earl is not the problem. Expecting lots of fans to watch the match for 5 hrs (maybe more) a night is the problem.

Btw, if im not mistaken you stayed for all of the earl match too right?

#hardcorefan

this ain't basket ball it's pool.
If your a fan of pool & want to watch a match, you watch the match.
I can't figure out how many subjects you want to tackle in one conversation.
Of course i watched the entire darren / earl match.
I like to play pool & love to watch great pool.
I just wish that earl wouldn't turn into a three year old baby & whine for the majority of the match, but even though he always does, i will still watch for the great pool that is played.

Have you ever attended a stand alone match??

Slim

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this ain't basket ball it's pool.
If your a fan of pool & want to watch a match, you watch the match.
I can't figure out how many subjects you want to tackle in one conversation.
Of course i watched the entire darren / earl match.
I like to play pool & love to watch great pool.
I just wish that earl wouldn't turn into a three year old baby & whine for the majority of the match, but even though he always does, i will still watch for the great pool that is played.

Have you ever attended a stand alone match??

Slim

Yes I have witnessed several marathon matches. Not necessarily promoted events trying to draw a crowd but action.

I was pointing out the fact that you watched the complete Earl because it shows that you are a hardcore fan of pool. Few are like you imo. You blame Earl for the fans dwindling, ok, fair enough, if that's what you saw then that is what you saw. I'm just not sure that your dislike for the man didn't effect your perception of how things went down. If Shane and Darren were the ones in that event the crowd would have thinned just the same I bet. Few want to watch two people play 10 ball over and over for hours and hours like you do. I was at a local match that was marketed beforehand. They wanted everyone to show up for this match where $10000 was bet, a 10 ahead set of 9-ball, 10 hour sessions, it took 3 days, and the road players backer had over $30 k bet with the rail. Everyone who was anyone in the pool world who was in town was there to watch the match when it kicked off. It didn't take long for that crowd to dwindle too. And most had money on the side.

If pool wants to gain and keep fans then long sets are not the way to go. Not if they want a lot of viewers which will generate sponsors. If the players don't care about an audience and they just want action then match up however but while pool isn't basketball, when it comes to attracting and keeping fans then they are both entertainment. It takes something real special to entertain a large group for hours and hours these days.

Vjmehra, thanks for the great post. It was very informative and seems accurate.

Last edited:

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i have witnessed several marathon matches. Not necessarily promoted events trying to draw a crowd but action.

I was pointing out the fact that you watched the complete earl because it shows that you are a hardcore fan of pool. Few are like you imo. You blame earl for the fans dwindling, ok, fair enough, if that's what you saw then that is what you saw. I'm just not sure that your dislike for the man didn't effect your perception of how things went down. If shane and darren were the ones in that event the crowd would have thinned just the same i bet. Few want to watch two people play 10 ball over and over for hours and hours like you do. I was at a local match that was marketed beforehand. They wanted everyone to show up for this match where $10000 was bet, a 10 ahead set of 9-ball, 10 hour sessions, it took 3 days, and the road players backer had over $30 k bet with the rail. Everyone who was anyone in the pool world who was in town was there to watch the match when it kicked off. It didn't take long for that crowd to dwindle too. And most had money on the side.
If pool wants to gain and keep fans then long sets are not the way to go. Not if they want a lot of viewers which will generate sponsors. If the players don't care about an audience and they just want action then match up however but while pool isn't basketball, when it comes to attracting and keeping fans then they are both entertainment. It takes something real special to entertain a large group for hours and hours these days.
Vjmehra, thanks for the great post. It was very informative and seems accurate.

cool, i get your point.
Personally, i don't think anyone is chasing pool fans away.
There are so few that desire to watch pool that it will never become a big spectator sport, which is just fine by me.
As long as there are venues that will hold good matches i will be there.
When archer & morra match up at kings of billiards i will be happy to purchase seats & drive the 2 hours to get there & watch.

It has been interesting to find out your opinion on things.
Keep on keepin on,

slim

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Numbers don't lie.

But to be fair, Soccer or "football" as it's known every where but here, is the most popular sport on the planet. I'd rather watch grass grew personally. Even signed up my kid when he was 6 cause you want him to find what he likes, not what I like.

After the season, he told me he didn't want to play soccer anymore.... It brought a tear to my eye (tears of joy) :thumbup: So, baseball became his game !!!!!

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can sit for well over three hours & never move from my seat during a good one pocket match, but i could not / would not sit for two minutes & watch soccer.

to each his own,

slim

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I blame the TD's, promoters, and the venue itself for letting Earl get away with what he does. And it's only because of more viewers ($$$) buying the PPV. 10 years ago it was for the live gate. Earl thinks he's like tennis star John Mcenroe, when he's just a piss ant compared to him. Johnnyt

Agree. From what I know he, Earl needs to take his meds. He can't as it effects his game. A lot of very gifted people or people in general need to be on something. I played with someone, no name, who was a pro, winner is a certain category of pool. We were on the hill playing one pocket and I asked if he was okay with me taking a smoke break. He was livid as to my request and said in a not so nice way NO, YOU F-en CAN'T.
I broke down my cue and made light of it and just said fine, take the F-en win. I was into my fight or flight mode and I don't fight fair. A pool game isn't worth time in the big house. Well I came to find out he had issues. Health issues and taking pain meds like they were breath mints.
So would I give a person who has a mental disorder or a drug problem a pass, yes, maybe.
That's my side of the story. His might be different.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about snooker. If snooker fans stand or sit and watch a match for 5 or more hours straight then they are lunatics imo.:) Just kidding of course but I will say that from what I have seen of snooker they have some great promoters behind them. Lots of media connections with professionally produced shows and entertainment to keep fans excited and entertained well beyond when some event ends and before the next one begins. Tell me because I don't know... would Earl be a superstar if he were a snooker player getting that kind of media coverage?

Ronnie O'Sullivan is everything Earl was to pool and more, in terms of pure talent and stardom, and still gets a lot of criticism for things that are so relatively mild that no one would even notice with Earl. Earl's act would not play in the snooker world, IMO. There is a structure there and he would either toe the line or get himself disciplined or banned.

Which, of course, is another problem with pool. There is no structure to enforce anything. Matches are little islands with no greater meaning.

The dichotomy inherent in pool mentality is rather amusing. Read a thread here about someone getting sharked by an opponent in a league match and everyone responds with outrage at the sharking actions. With proposed solutions going up to and including physical violence against the offender. Those threads are legion here. Yet let Earl do far worse in the way of sharking behavior while the opponent is at the table in an important event, and, voila, he is a folk hero.

And then we wonder why normal decent people cannot be motivated in large enough numbers to participate/watch enough to support the sport at a decent level. A clue: if your draw is the antics of your players, not the beauty of their play then there is a problem.

People enjoy watching trainwrecks. We see it right here when a poster who shall not be named get pig-piled here after spouting his usual nonsense.

But it is no way to build and promote a sport.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Over 4700 views in four days on a thread simply entitled Earl.Strickland. That should tell you something. I saw Earl at his peak and he was awesome. I officiated at many of his greatest triumphs and there was little hint of any bad behavior or poor sportsmanship. He was too busy running racks and playing great pool. For me it's sad to see what he's become and how he's tainted his legacy among the all time greats.

Jay, it was predicted by a world champion we both know very well...around 1990....
...that Earl would have serious personality problems as he got older and his physical prowess would start to fail.
A massive ego doesn't allow one to go quietly.

Big business would like us to believe that they got medication for these problems...
....I will never go for that snake oil story.
Earl needs to heal himself....introspection, philosophy, religion, or something....
...it's imperative that he gets to know himself.

I think he still has a great career ahead of him....he can be great at exhibitions...
...and he is a fine public speaker.....when he's in a good mood.
...his commentary is excellent also.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
love

Jay, it was predicted by a world champion we both know very well...around 1990....
...that Earl would have serious personality problems as he got older and his physical prowess would start to fail.
A massive ego doesn't allow one to go quietly.

Big business would like us to believe that they got medication for these problems...
....I will never go for that snake oil story.
Earl needs to heal himself....introspection, philosophy, religion, or something....
...it's imperative that he gets to know himself.

I think he still has a great career ahead of him....he can be great at exhibitions...
...and he is a fine public speaker.....when he's in a good mood.
...his commentary is excellent also.

Pt109 I think your right Earl could still have a good career, maybe all he needs is the love of a good woman and the right medication and maybe a little soul searching. And then maybe just maybe he could start winning and earn a little respect back.
At least I hope when I was young I use to love watching him play, but now days not so much.

Matt B.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. That's why I bet against him every DCC;)

Really though, Scott was in all of these high profile one pocket events for the past 5 years, and has not caused much damage at all. The right players have been picked, imo.

Yup. And at this bar there's GUARANTEED ACTION!! :D

I like both. Thanks for posting.

when he's at the Derby I always go to a different table

PocketPooler

Silver Member
To you Europeans, Americans really don't care what you think. We've been showing you that since the 1770's when we tossed you from here. Not a sermon, just a thought.

OMG lol. Thats funny, but damn that was a long time ago brother!

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To you Americans maybe - we Europeans don't like this kind of "entertainment" at all.
We think it's appalling and embarrasing and we get "douche chills" for him.
You can and should have emotions, but don't go blasting around.

Have you not seen / heard the " your - a - peeing (s) behavior at most of the Mosconi Cups?????? If not check it out and get back to us !

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread getting worse and worse

Earl was great player
Now he's good player but a great ass hole and clown
Pool views suck

calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's stop talking about this

Simple....

Earle does not display the proper character required to be a pro in this sport.

Period

Enough talk, turn the page

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Numbers don't lie.

That's right and the 500K on top does make it a bit more appealing and interesting. Our relatively small money World Championships label our sport as minor league, sad to say. Only the Chinese Eight Ball with near 100K on top looked like something important to win.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He picked up a piece of wood and aimed it at the world, and he won , big time doing it. I spotted early on in the late 70's there was a loose screw, but We are All Crazy In Our Own Little Ways,, But On A Pool Table, Earl Is Eisenstein,,So what the hell if he's as out there as far as Pluto...His Speed Of Pool Is What Matters To The Game

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem isn't Earl. The problem is having an event that tries to keep people's attention for hours and hours on end for several days.
I think a major problem with our games is that it takes a heck of a long time of playing to reduce the 'run' factor.

Perhaps this 4 pocket game was an improvement, as it took the break out of the equation, but I'm not a big fan of watching safety & kicking battles deciding 70% of frames.

We need formats that reward the best pot & positional player over the better or luckier break, safe & kick player, over a shorter period of time.

I think the popular sports demonstrate this.. golf perhaps the exception regarding time. But in the end, anyone in the last few of a golf tourney has been playing strong that weekend.

Colin