Creating a Low Deflection Shaft

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those of you with hollowed out wood shafts, any chance of pics, the ferule is capped, or is the end pluged after hollowing out?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
readily available I believe.

Another solution is to use a very light wood. I had a shaft made from ramin wood. It's very light and I had a minimum ferrule on it. The wood costs about $1 per blank. It's not a pretty wood.

Anyone interested in trying Ramin shafts, I believe that is what the shafts of the super cheap cues in walmart and the big box sporting goods stores are made of. Might have to replace ferrule and tip to even do much testing.

Hu

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those of you with hollowed out wood shafts, any chance of pics, the ferule is capped, or is the end pluged after hollowing out?

capped.
air relief hole & slight center pop for convenience if/when re-worked.
Cap has internal shallow groove to catch walls of tube.
No filler.
Mine could benefit from lighter ferule material; & I still prefer at least a 3/4" long ferule for siting, but could change habits.

will try to section a reject & photo on monday nite.
Busy in between.

(or is this a troll to get us in trouble with the guys who claim to own the patent? :grin: )

smt

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone interested in trying Ramin shafts, I believe that is what the shafts of the super cheap cues in walmart and the big box sporting goods stores are made of. Might have to replace ferrule and tip to even do much testing.

Hu
The last time I bought a cue at SportsMart it had a nice solid maple shaft with a good enough joint, no wrap, and a one-inch heavy plastic ferrule. A quick pass on the saw got rid of the ferrule. The cue hits the ball very well now. It cost about $25 with tax plus $1 for a LePro tip and it is a better playing cue than some I've shot with that cost thousands of dollars. Well, until the joint comes loose, but I have glue.

Solid maple can be low squirt (deflection) if you have only a pad as a ferrule. Don't put the tip straight onto wood or the shaft can split.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
maple vs mystery wood

The last time I bought a cue at SportsMart it had a nice solid maple shaft with a good enough joint, no wrap, and a one-inch heavy plastic ferrule. A quick pass on the saw got rid of the ferrule. The cue hits the ball very well now. It cost about $25 with tax plus $1 for a LePro tip and it is a better playing cue than some I've shot with that cost thousands of dollars. Well, until the joint comes loose, but I have glue.

Solid maple can be low squirt (deflection) if you have only a pad as a ferrule. Don't put the tip straight onto wood or the shaft can split.

Some jointed cues in the places I mentioned sell for under ten dollars apiece. When I was first practicing with my cue lathe I caught those cues on sale for half price and paid as little as three dollars for a jointed cue! A strange wood I didn't recognize, I think probably ramon. When the shafts are maple the package usually brags about that. This was obviously not maple or not like any maple I have ever seen. Seems like some even said ramon wood shafts. A low quality wood compared to good rock maple at least in the examples I have seen but I suspect a lot of woods are a lot worse.

Hu

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
capped.
air relief hole & slight center pop for convenience if/when re-worked.
Cap has internal shallow groove to catch walls of tube.
No filler.
Mine could benefit from lighter ferule material; & I still prefer at least a 3/4" long ferule for siting, but could change habits.

will try to section a reject & photo on monday nite.
Busy in between.

(or is this a troll to get us in trouble with the guys who claim to own the patent? :grin: )

smt

If the chance presents itself, I'd appreciate it, but if not no worries.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"Turning the United States into a third world nation one wetback at a time".

"[Obama] is a halfbreed communist."

"Jesus never existed. It is the longest running practical joke the Jews or anybody else has ever pulled".

What do the comments in your footer (above) have to do with posts about shafts?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do the comments in your footer (above) have to do with posts about shafts?

You mean those direct quotes from Sev in my signature?

What about them?

Sev has quotes from other members in his signature, and a good chunk of posters in NPR have quotes from other members in their signature or have in the past, I don't see you ever asking them...

I have to wonder why you are asking me about it, or do you go around asking other folks about their signatures and I'v just missed those posts from you?

What did Sev tell you regarding the quotes below in his signature?

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin"

I mean do you ask Sev when he posts what his quotes from Robin in his signature have to do with whatever topic he is discussing?:rolleyes: