Sigel and $$

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl irritates me but Mike is just a fool. Im glad efren beat the piss out of him in there 8 ball match.
Mike was just rude and a tool to Efren .Efren might say Mike was his toughest opponent but I seriously think Efren says that as a f--k you to Mike.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay would know how Mike got his Captain Hook moniker (and it’s not because he had more than a fair share of good rolls) and why he had difficulty finding a backer when still in his prime. I know this info second or even third hand so would be keen to get it confirmed/denied by someone who was around him way back when

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Captain Hook" came from his ability to leave you stuck behind balls on his safeties. He would leave you dead hooked! The only backer who stuck with Mike was Larry Hubbart, who took him on the road first and introduced him to the pool world outside of Rochester. I won't go into the reasons why others were reluctant to get involved with Mike financially. I will say this though. He and Nick Varner were long time partners in the pool business and did a lot of traveling together. Nick was an astute businessman.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Captain Hook" came from his ability to leave you stuck behind balls on his safeties. He would leave you dead hooked! The only backer who stuck with Mike was Larry Hubbart, who took him on the road first and introduced him to the pool world outside of Rochester. I won't go into the reasons why others were reluctant to get involved with Mike financially. I will say this though. He and Nick Varner were long time partners in the pool business and did a lot of traveling together. Nick was an astute businessman.

Omg, how you going to leave us hanging about why people wouldn't back him... Dammit Jay, lol

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does this help anything? What are you attempting to accomplish? I don't understand.

Also, people who are driven enough to achieve the extreme level of skill Mosconi and Sigel did usually have an extreme personalty to go along with it. From what I've experienced it takes an extreme personality to excel at the highest level.

I think this person makes a very good point here- many top elite athletes, musicians, actors, artists, etc. etc. VERY often display extremes of personality traits and even polarities of behavior. I met Sigel and Mosconi- no issues from me. I met Dimaggio once - he was not very gracious when taking a photo with me ( where he was being PAID to appear by my firm) - but I don't think we should judge the greats by one or 2 casual encounters- just not fair to them. Are ALL of us perfect gentlemen every second of our lives? Perhaps limiting our thoughts to their competitive performances will tell us that all three of the above mentioned were just about as good as it gets in sports careers.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No...the #1 reason is that for the most part pro players are too lazy to get a real job!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

It seems like a lot of players end up broke. Is the #1 cause of this gambling?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think this person makes a very good point here- many top elite athletes, musicians, actors, artists, etc. etc. VERY often display extremes of personality traits and even polarities of behavior. I met Sigel and Mosconi- no issues from me. I met Dimaggio once - he was not very gracious when taking a photo with me ( where he was being PAID to appear by my firm) - but I don't think we should judge the greats by one or 2 casual encounters- just not fair to them. Are ALL of us perfect gentlemen every second of our lives? Perhaps limiting our thoughts to their competitive performances will tell us that all three of the above mentioned were just about as good as it gets in sports careers.

The best tennis player ever, Roger Federer, does not have an extreme personality, but is, instead, a perfect gentleman to his contemporaries, fans and media alike. The same can be said about the best ice hockey player ever, Wayne Gretzky.

One can achieve the highest level of excellence without being prone to behavioral extremes and etiquette is easily maintained by those who choose to place a value on it.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best tennis player ever, Roger Federer, does not have an extreme personality, but is, instead, a perfect gentleman to his contemporaries, fans and media alike. The same can be said about the best ice hockey player ever, Wayne Gretzky.

One can achieve the highest level of excellence without being prone to behavioral extremes and etiquette is easily maintained by those who choose to place a value on it.

There you go! When Arnold Palmer was the most popular athlete in America he would still answer ALL his fan mail, sign all autographs and take photos with whoever asked it of him (although they might have to wait until he could do it, but he wouldn't forget about them). I saw him in person more than once and he would really engage people in conversation and take an interest in what they had to say. He was a truly humble man who cared about his fellow man/woman/child and their feelings. He devoted a great deal of his fortune to doing good for others. His kindness and compassion for others should be an example for other high profile athletes to emulate.