Best Ferrule, and Uniloc arbor Question

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I've started doing cue repair for a local pool hall. Can anyone recommend the best and most economical ferrule to use for 1 piece bar cues?

Also, who else carries a Uniloc maintenance arbor cheaper than Atlas (currently $55)? I have Uni-loc joint-cap protectors.

I see that there's one on ebay for $22, but it's called a Uni-Quick Release. Is this fully compatible with Uni-Loc?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180727716986?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

!!Thanks in advance for any help!!

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The EBay auction seller you're referencing is Unique Products and that maintenance pin should work for you unless things have changed since I bought mine. If you have any questions, just contact Jim or Brian over there. Driver Pin Uni-Loc

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
The EBay auction seller you're referencing is Unique Products and that maintenance pin should work for you unless things have changed since I bought mine. If you have any questions, just contact Jim or Brian over there. Driver Pin Uni-Loc

I thought it was Unique's ebay account, but I looked at their website and couldnt find this item there. Glad to know someone has used this and it works. I will probably order this.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jim at Unique Products is a class act without a doubt.
Atlas also has the driver pins from Unique Products. The Uni-Loc ones are more accurate and will last longer though. Juma or XTC are great materials for house ferrules. I like the Juma better.

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I also like to use Juma, but it's expensive. Someone recommended to use Titan which is cheaper. I've never used XTC.

Is the Atlas arbor more durable because it's harder/better grade aluminimum? (Sorry if that's the wroing term...)

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I also like to use Juma, but it's expensive. Someone recommended to use Titan which is cheaper. I've never used XTC.

Is the Atlas arbor more durable because it's harder/better grade aluminimum? (Sorry if that's the wroing term...)

You should be able to get 60 or more ferrules out of a 3 foot piece of Juma if you do .50 ferrules.

Less than .50 each after shipping I'm assuming.

How much were you hoping to spend?

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I see your point, the savings is minimal. I was trying to find the most economical material. The juima ferrules will look better by having a better shine and having less chalk on them. Titan scratches easy and attract chalk. I think I'll do at least 3/4" long juma ferrules.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Juma is only $1.00 more for a 3 foot length than XTC ($17.50 vs $16.50). I was told Titan is discontinued.

The Uni-Loc and Atlas arbors are stainless steel. The Unique products ones are aluminum.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I see your point, the savings is minimal. I was trying to find the most economical material. The juima ferrules will look better by having a better shine and having less chalk on them. Titan scratches easy and attract chalk. I think I'll do at least 3/4" long juma ferrules.

If you have never done a one piece, take extra caution to secure the end. House cues can be ok practice, but buying some half inch dowels are much better IMO. \

I'm saying this because it seems room owners are moving more towards the absolute cheapest Chinese house cues they can find and don't see any value in paying very much money for a tip job, let alone a ferrule(a job that would normally cost the price of a China house cue).

Here is a video of Joe Blackburn, widely regarded as one of the best in the business. Note that the shaft is already chucked up and he has just finished removing the old tip. Add time to switch shafts ect and the BEST might be able to whip out one SHAFT(not house cue) every six minutes or so.

My point is that job quality is more important than job quantity. 100 people will hear about one bad job as oppose to 10 hearing about 100 good ones. Don't plan on making alot of money doing house cues IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9LOyy729ik

Last edited:

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have never done a one piece, take extra caution to secure the end. House cues can be ok practice, but buying some half inch dowels are much better IMO. \

I'm saying this because it seems room owners are moving more towards the absolute cheapest Chinese house cues they can find and don't see any value in paying very much money for a tip job, let alone a ferrule(a job that would normally cost the price of a China house cue).

Here is a video of Joe Blackburn, widely regarded as one of the best in the business. Note that the shaft is already chucked up and he has just finished removing the old tip. Add time to switch shafts ect and the BEST might be able to whip out one SHAFT(not house cue) every six minutes or so.

My point is that job quality is more important than job quantity. 100 people will hear about one bad job as oppose to 10 hearing about 100 good ones. Don't plan on making alot of money doing house cues IMO.

Where is the video ????

Most materials that are used for ferrules, cost less than the labour to install, or the labour to make the ferrule if it is a one off.

Neil

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The original Uni-Loc set I bought from Atlas is made of Stainless Steel and Brass.

I don't know if this is considered something good or bad, but I slipped a sleeve with a little pilot hole over a customer's 3/8-10 lathe pin to where only a thread or so stuck out past the ferrule sleeve and it would spin the Uni-Loc shaft he brought in just fine.

This must be someone's lucky post as it is number 7777 for me.

Last edited:

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
Great tip Chris! So I don't even have to buy a uniloc arbor. I can make a sleeve out of scrap delrin I have lying around and make my own uniloc arbor? Is the uniloc thread the same/similar as a 3/8-10 pin?

The original Uni-Loc set I bought from Atlas is made of Stainless Steel and Brass.

I don't know if this is considered something good or bad, but I slipped a sleeve with a little pilot hole over a customer's 3/8-10 lathe pin to where only a thread or so stuck out past the ferrule sleeve and it would spin the Uni-Loc shaft he brought in just fine.

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9LOyy729ik

thanks for the video! I've worked on 1 piece house cues already. I offered to fix the house cues in disrepair for free. The room owner is kind enuff to let me do cue-repair for league players, so I thought I would fix his house cues for free in return. I can also use the house cues I've repaired as a showcase of my craftsmanship. I know the importantance of word of mouth. I'd rather be slow and do a good job, than fast and do a bad job.

billiardbum

Listen U Might Learn!!!
Silver Member
Uni-Loc is a trademark name so it cannot be used. The uni-quick driver will fit the uni-loc pins as in predator cues. If you search our site for driver pins you will see a list of all the pins. Side note... Ball Screw and Radial are the same as well. Hope this helps :)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great tip Chris! So I don't even have to buy a uniloc arbor. I can make a sleeve out of scrap delrin I have lying around and make my own uniloc arbor? Is the uniloc thread the same/similar as a 3/8-10 pin?
Yes you can make a piloted sleeve to go over your 3/8-10 lathe pin and if you make it right it will spin the uniloc shaft.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you can make a piloted sleeve to go over your 3/8-10 lathe pin and if you make it right it will spin the uniloc shaft.

I guess I'm not the only one to figure that one out. I had to do that Myself in the past before getting the set from Atlas, which I highly recommend, because It's a very nice fitting arbor set.

I do something similar on a smaller scale with arbors that don't account for pilots, so that I am driving off of both the face, and insert, instead of the insert alone.

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
I guess I'm not the only one to figure that one out. I had to do that Myself in the past before getting the set from Atlas, which I highly recommend, because It's a very nice fitting arbor set.

I do something similar on a smaller scale with arbors that don't account for pilots, so that I am driving off of both the face, and insert, instead of the insert alone.

I haven't made the sleeve yet, but I'll plan on making the sleeve the same diameter as the 3/8-10 arbor to achieve max face to face flush contact between the arbor and cue collar. Heck, I have a 3/8-10 tap...I might thread the sleeve too! I'm always dropping things!! I can see me losing the sleeve in the future...

Can delrin be easily threaded with a hand tap?

Last edited:

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member

I guess I'm the lucky one!! You saved me $55 bucks! I'll make the sleeve for now, but once I'm profitable with cue repair, I will buy a real Uni-loc arbor.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't made the sleeve yet, but I'll plan on making the sleeve the same diameter as the 3/8-10 arbor to achieve max face to face flush contact between the arbor and cue collar. Heck, I have a 3/8-10 tap...I might thread the sleeve too! I'm always dropping things!! I can see me losing the sleeve in the future...

Can delrin be easily threaded with a hand tap?

Yes, It may be a little difficult, although It could probably be threaded with a hand tap, and a vice, drill press etc., but It's hard to beat the precision of tapping and turning It on a lathe. If You mean on a lathe then yes It would be easier, one thing though Is delrin likes to slip some when mounted in soft/smooth jaws, so may need to really chuck up on It hard depending on what lathe You are using.

Last edited:

Vyc

╭∩╮(︶︿&#650
Silver Member
Yes, It may be a little difficult, although It could probably be threaded with a hand tap, and a vice, drill press etc., but It's hard to beat the precision of tapping and turning It on a lathe.

Yeah, but I don't have a power feed...hand job for now! DOH!!

I haven't delved into machine threading yet (correct term??)