Lowballing prices

realkingcobra

Silver Member
By offering me 3/4 of price, as a cue builder, which is my job, is exactly like your boss telling you at, your job, that you have to work this month for 3/4 of your normal pay.

I am trying to educate buyers, building and selling cues is a job for some people.

It's no different than working on pool tables, i get calls from customers all the time wanting to know what i charge. I tell them, they ask me if I'll take cash for less on my price. I always respond the same, cash is the only thing i accept for payment, and i could take less....but what's in it for me if i do? They always respond the same..."my business" to which i tell them, OK, I'll think about your offer, call me back in 6 months as I'm real busy right now.:thumbup:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only insult is when you're getting no offers for your cues. Some people are inclined to negotiate everything they buy. Don't take it personally, it's business. Any offer they make means they're interested. In some cases, their offer may simply be all they can afford. It may also mean they're willing to pay your price but are simply trying you out. If you absolutely don't have to make the sale, just politely decline their offer and thank them for their interest. In some cases, they'll end up buying at your price.

The only insult is when you're getting no offers for your cues. Some people are inclined to negotiate everything they buy. Don't take it personally, it's business. Any offer they make means they're interested. In some cases, their offer may simply be all they can afford. It may also mean they're willing to pay your price but are simply trying you out. If you absolutely don't have to make the sale, just politely decline their offer and thank them for their interest. In some cases, they'll end up buying at your price.

Great response. Only one thing to add...in some cases they are willing to meet you in the middle.

Don’t get emotional about money. It’s only money. Dollars exchange hands all over the world. The dollar itself means nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Ok....I believe I purchased a cue from you. But, listen. We don’t get to pick up your cues. We can’t hold them. Some of us often get stuck with what a picture reveals. You have no store front. Some don’t even have a web page. You have zero overhead. Many make a living at marking up cues in an insane margin. If car makers marked up cars that much they would have 8 cars on a lot. Who loses? The consumer. So feel insulted if you must. Reality you are making a living off minimal effort of the skin of those that.....gulp....just want to play these cues and have zero interest in flipping them. Maybe in 10 years after use at a reasonable price you make your money back and extend to another player whom can appreciate the cue. What is being done to cues these days is the extend of a Faberge Egg. An item you pay a high price for but are afraid to even hold. That’s not what a pool cue is about.

There is a lot of trust involved, and what you say is another good reason not to take any old cue in trade.

There are people on this forum have played with many of my pool cues over the years.
I can only play with so many cues in one day, so certain cues don't get played with, and those are the first ones to go.
Typically I sell cues at good prices, but I also sell some highly desirable stuff that is hard to find.

My spending got out of hand this year after my son passed away in February.
Buying, selling and talking about cues is the way I've been dealing with it, and that gets expensive.
At night when it bothers me the most, I get cues ready to ship or plan my next sale.
I've had to sell some really nice cues to keep from draining my bank accounts.

I've picked up some really nice cues at decent prices and I'm very happy with my collection right now.
Throughout it all there are only two things that bother me.
The two problems are unreasonable trade offers with zero cash involved, and the guys that try to tell me what my cue is worth.
There's a lot of cue bullies out there.
When I'm buried in a cue i just sell it and take the loss.
I have agreed to 7 trades this year.
There are some fair people out there with similar taste as me in cues, or people who understand there has to be an upside to accept a cue I would never go out and buy.

Im not a dealer, but the reason my cue sales are successful is the way I do things, always putting the buyer first.
Before my unofficial retirement in 2012, I never once listed a cue for sale in the wfs because I didn't have the time to do it right, at times going 2 weeks without checking my p.m. box.
I might offer a cue or case if someone was looking for something that I had, but I never posted anything for sale.
I could just hear all the pissed off people complaining about me not responding.
Now with texting I have to respond within seconds

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An insult or not - for me, it would depend a bit on the reason for the lower offer.

I work in international investment goods (bigger machines).

If someone makes me an offer at a lower price, there should be a reason. If he has a lower offer from someone else, or my my equipment has a flaw, compared to the street price, a price reduction can be OK.

But some mentalities just want to bargain (e.g. middle east people). For them, it's an offence, if there is no room for some discount.

So for me, in the Western World, I would politely answer that my prices are based on my efforts and that I can not discount that given price and that I feel that this price reflects and justifies my quality and my workmanship.

Beeing on the other side of the table, I sometimes ask the seller politely, if he can do something on the price. Then, this is more like asking for a favour, not an insult.

An insult or not - for me, it would depend a bit on the reason for the lower offer.

I work in international investment goods (bigger machines).

If someone makes me an offer at a lower price, there should be a reason. If he has a lower offer from someone else, or my my equipment has a flaw, compared to the street price, a price reduction can be OK.

But some mentalities just want to bargain (e.g. middle east people). For them, it's an offence, if there is no room for some discount.

So for me, in the Western World, I would politely answer that my prices are based on my efforts and that I can not discount that given price and that I feel that this price reflects and justifies my quality and my workmanship.

Beeing on the other side of the table, I sometimes ask the seller politely, if he can do something on the price. Then, this is more like asking for a favour, not an insult.

Please define effort on behalf of a person selling a cue?

Do you mean listing it and shipping it for which they also charge?

Gentlemen, middle eastern or not I wish to welcome you to the new world. We are no longer back in 2008.

I will give you a brief description. I deal in high end contracts. Weekly. Once such contract I bid out at $110,000,00. Normal everyday pricing. At the end of the day it went out the door at $85,000.00.

I will let you do the math on percentage. This is the new world we live in. Get use to it.

If you take offense to someone asking you for a deal then you best be ready to be the last horse buggy salesman on the planet.

It’s the way of the world. You can fight it all you want but, it’s the reality. Being insulted is just a means of saying you don’t like it and that is what we are all dealing with. You think being a cue scalper is any different? Better wake up gentlemen or that 150 piece cue collection you think you have Will be worth whatever your eyes believe it is worth.

Trust me when I tell you that the day will come soon when that collection won’t be wort much and if it is it will be the last collection.

So while you hold out for these crazy price increases trying to squeeze crazy margins out of these cues, you might find that market replaced by production cues and when that happens you can only blame yourselves.

Don’t dare blame the person asking for a deal.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that you're dealing with the new "Entitlement" generation. They think everyone owes them. They're doing you a favor by playing with your cue and showing everyone how well they can play with it in any handicapped tournament.
When they offer less money... reply "Go commit a sexual act upon yourself."

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Just remember as a maker... if you give 25% off the shelf to a nobody.. then you better be ready to up your % to a real dealer. This has already happened to me, and if you aren't going to hold your price, then neither will I.

Just a different perspective.....

JV

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not talking about a cue that has a 1000 percent markup, so the seller can double his money by selling it for half of what he is asking.
I'm talking about someone offering me 300 for a one of one cue I made and am asking 400 delivered. I am not a cue flipper, I have been building for 20 plus years and have receipts for over $100, 000 in equipment and woods.

You answered your own question.
Me personally... I don't make offers. If I want it I buy it. If a seller says make an offer then it is appropriate.
I had a few discontinued car parts that were in demand. I was selling for fair market prices. A few people made offers...I simply said I'm looking for the asking price but will keep you in mind.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another question, let's say you go to work, assuming you have a job, and your boss tells you, you have to work for 75 percent of your normal pay for the next month. How would feel ?

Business 101,

Take the purchase price, subtract the total costs of goods produced and you get your profit.

Surely your cue had costs, right?

That means you take more than a 25% cut.

If total costs were $100.00 and you sold for $400, that's $300 profit.

If it sold for $300 your profit is now $200.

You would be working for 66.7% on the dollar.

Remember, there is a hand for every Handle. With cars, there is an ass for every seat and old inventory gets discounted.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
If your boss ask you to work next month for 75 .percent of your normal pay.

Well they said 85% a few years ago company wide. I, like most of company, took the 15% hit and kept on working.

You can say no, no one forcing you to sell it.

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a businessmen I never negotiate the price for my services, I take great effort in setting a fair price for my work, which often means I loose out on the jobs where price is the main, or only concern. So, if you are the original maker of a product set a fair price based on the product, your reputation, and the brand. If the price is fair, fair people will pay it. This opinion is not held by me for after market cues which are, more often than not, elevated well beyond fair market prices.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm confusing the op with someone else, but weren't a lot of your cues photographed on what appeared to be a display case in a pawnshop.

I wonder how many people walked out of there feeling like they got a fair offer.

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
I would not consider 25% off an insulting offer. Most think 10% is figured in the price to negotiate down. With all the negotiating on TV these days starting at 25% and working to 10% is the norm. Before anyone thinks to offer 90% of my asking prices. I don't discount! See it's easy to set limits.

Larry

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that you're dealing with the new "Entitlement" generation. They think everyone owes them. They're doing you a favor by playing with your cue and showing everyone how well they can play with it in any handicapped tournament.
When they offer less money... reply "Go commit a sexual act upon yourself."
LOL, this is a new low in millennial bashing. As if 20 somethings spend their time trolling the AZBilliards cue forum.

Wouldn’t be the first time a gen X or boomer snowflake projected their own problems onto the younger generation.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
There's plenty of youth playing pool and just don't know where to look for nice cues