The cue you wish you had back

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've probably owned about 35 cues...I had a Bludworth that hit super..I loved it...BUT...Let it go...I had a Predator P-2 that shot lights out..Yep..Let it go...I had a Olivier I loved and had it refinished...It came back with a leather wrap I hated so, yep, got rid of it...
But of them all, I had a TAD 1-M cue that was FANTASTIC.......It paid for itself a hundred tImes over...Got it on a Friday...Went out that night and played in a big tournament..Won the tournament undefeated...Best hit of any cue I've had so far...The wrap started coming loose and the clear coat had a flaw which got worse...My friend said it looked like it had been refinished...I checked and it would take Tad forever to re-do it so I sold it...Now I wish I would of waited...Really, really miss that cue...
I have bought 2 just like it since then but none hit like that one...
So...What's your story??? What cue do you wish you had back???
Growing up in the Princeton / Trenton NJ area and my Dad working close by in eastern PA, somehow through his work he found out about this guy, very close to where he worked, in Feasterville, PA, named Doc Frye, who made cues out of his home. In the early 70's, in my early high school years, twice my Dad took me to Doc's workshop to order a cue from him, which he made for me, and which I played with for a few years.

At some point not too many years after that, likely 1976 or 1977, I thought I was upgrading big time when I purchased a new Meucci from a vendor when attending a big pro event as a spectator at Asbury Park or Atlantic City. Not too long after that, I think I either sold or gave up my Frye cues for next to nothing, not knowing what I had. It wasn't until probably 20+ years later that I learned about Doc's tutelage of Gus Szamboti, and that Doc's cues are quite sought after, although certainly nothing like Gus's cues. I did not make the same mistake with a Gus cue I purchased from a friend around 1980, not knowing what it was, but luckily I still had it when nearly 15 years later I found out what it was, and I still have it today.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss this one.

Attachments

• 7A8D7EED-8DDD-423D-A51D-89DD37FB4484.jpg
    7A8D7EED-8DDD-423D-A51D-89DD37FB4484.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 319

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first Southwest, Indian Rosewood with six maple points, no veneers. Laurie told me it would be one of the last they made, could not get the wood any more.
My Joss, custom ordered before Joss Cues Ltd. came about. THE best hitting steel jointed cue I've ever played with. Maple stained brown with ebony points, red, black, and blue veneers, block of, I think, rosewood in the ebony butt sleeve with veneers on either side of it. Mother of pearl diamond-dot in the points and in the rosewood.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Richard Black Hoppe i had. Ordered it in his Houston shop in '82. It was the second one he made. First was for some guy named Mizerak. Great cue. Cue w/ 2shafts(ivory ferrules) AND a Fellini Buggywhip case cost me the princely sum of 375bux. I've had a lot of nice cues but that's the one i wish i could get back.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Growing up in the Princeton / Trenton NJ area and my Dad working close by in eastern PA, somehow through his work he found out about this guy, very close to where he worked, in Feasterville, PA, named Doc Frye, who made cues out of his home. In the early 70's, in my early high school years, twice my Dad took me to Doc's workshop to order a cue from him, which he made for me, and which I played with for a few years.

At some point not too many years after that, likely 1976 or 1977, I thought I was upgrading big time when I purchased a new Meucci from a vendor when attending a big pro event as a spectator at Asbury Park or Atlantic City. Not too long after that, I think I either sold or gave up my Frye cues for next to nothing, not knowing what I had. It wasn't until probably 20+ years later that I learned about Doc's tutelage of Gus Szamboti, and that Doc's cues are quite sought after, although certainly nothing like Gus's cues. I did not make the same mistake with a Gus cue I purchased from a friend around 1980, not knowing what it was, but luckily I still had it when nearly 15 years later I found out what it was, and I still have it today.

Chris - I would really like to have that Gus. Can you please send it to me? I'll take care of the shipping, etc, no worries. And with Christmas just around the bend, I'm sure it would provide you a very "giving" feeling. And, most of all, I would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

M

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
had a high-end Mike Cochran "dog-bone" cue that I sold to Tikkler on here, to pay off medical bills.

wish I had that cue back.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An ebony 4-point that I had Richard Black make for me back in 1978. I sold it to a guy in the Philippines in 1981, when I had Richard make me another cue of a different model. The second cue didn't play anything like the first cue so I sold it a few years later.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I had my Josey sneaky pete back

It was magic.You could draw a ball back so good
it looked like a masse shot

You could hit inside English and go 3 rails back to the other side of the table

Jerry Franklin was so amazed at a draw shot I hit that he took my Josey and
gave me his south west for a whole session we played together

Jack Potter ordered one for himself but nothing ever came close

I have no stroke and believe me ,this cue made me look like Mike Massey

Dennis Glenn the great collector and future Museum of pool owner
grabbed my cue and told me not to worry,he wanted to save
it for posterity

I went for it

Last I heard the butt had cracked ( all sneaky petes
were made
from house cues in those days) but it was still magic

I have no idea why or how this sneaky pete worked,
but it was pure pleasure

This is one I want back more than any cue in the world

Josey used a cue ball to make the ferrule,but in several
tries with the same specs we never got close to the pure magic

No one knew why,not Josey,Potter,or Jerry Franklin

If Dennis were to return it to me,I would buy another butt
to see if it was the shaft.

If it still worked with the old butt but not the new one
I could conclude the shaft was the Magic

If the butt was magic with another shaft,then I would be forced to
give up my cherished belief that the shaft is what counts
Jerry franklin and Ean Clark both believed the butt was very
important in achieving the hit

I think I will call Dennis tomorrow and try to pry my cue out of his hands

Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A Titlist conversion made by Tim Padgett. Although I traded into another
high end cue, wish I still had that one.. great cuemaker.

2andOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been through quite a few cues in my life and there are a few that I sold or traded that I would love to have back and hang on to. Here's a picture of one of my favorite cues that I sold in a weak moment and what I wouldn't do to have it back. It's a James White cue made back when he was working with Paul Mottey. It had some of the prettiest birdseye maple you'll find in a cue and the rest of it wasn't bad either.

James

DSC01272a.jpg

still looks as good today as in your pic. I see it almost weekly.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
My Gus that burned up in a car fire in 87 and my 87 Kersenbrock I bought from John Wright while we both worked at the CBOT Chicago...

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
My ivory and B. Rosewood Perry Weston cue I sold 15 years ago, when my little sister died in a car crash...I really needed the cash then. I have it back now...Wish I had her back too.:frown:

Attachments

• IMAG2568.jpg
    IMAG2568.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My McDermott EG-6 that I bought it brand new in 1990.
20 years ago it was stolen out of my truck along with a plain jane Gray Joss that I used as a break cue. Luggage style hard case and about $5 or $6 worth of quarters.

Effing thieves.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Old thread, but a few I wish I had kept.

Mason H cue, D17 McDermott, and a j series Joss. The James White I had 2 years ago I should’ve kept as well.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sold a Dave Tice cue when I was moving in 2014 and downsizing stuff. Should have sold some others instead but did have the sense to keep the other Tice which I still have. The one I sold was the best hitting maple cue I've had.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a cue like the third one down but it had a brass joint and two tone wrap, white/black/white. No idea when it was made. Guessing late 70's early 80's? It was stolen from me in the late 80's or early 90's.

Gift from my father and was stolen from the pool hall.

Attachments

• 100_6997.jpg
    100_6997.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 223

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Dayton - Murrell

Probably two of the many Daytons I had, first was Gaboon Ebony with 4 Amboyna Burl Points and a Burl Band in the buttsleeve, leather wrap and Lakewood shafts

Other Dayton was a 4 point Hoppe Style with nice vibrant veneers.

Plain Jane Brazilian Rosewood cue from Kenny, nothing fancy but played lights out!