New Aramith ball set

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aramith has the 2nd best offering in pool ball sets but the Centennial set ranks #1....IMO.
I know Simonis Tournament Blue a easy on the eyes but Simonis Green still is my favorite.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Aramith has the 2nd best offering in pool ball sets but the Centennial set ranks #1....IMO.
I know Simonis Tournament Blue a easy on the eyes but Simonis Green still is my favorite.

And the 1957 Chevy is the best car ever made, or ever will be made, Period. You can talk all you want about these fancy polyurethane paints, but there's nothing like a hand rubbed lacquer finish. Those AR 15's are OK, but give me an 1894 repeater any day.

Just kidding - these are classic's everybody can appreciate!

Last edited:

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just weighed and used my new Bankshot Willy’s Ball Buster Gauge on them. My postal scale doesn’t read 1/2 grams. None of the balls fall thru the perfect size hole. Five balls fall thru +.005 hole, four balls plus the measle ball can barely push thru the +.005 hole, six balls cannot be pushed thru the +.005 hole. Two balls weigh 167 grams, measle and all others weigh 168 grams.

I would say from the largest to the smallest ball are within .005”

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nope.....it was the 1978 Shelby Mustang...funny how the classics are worth a lot more today
than when they were offered.....same thing with art.......and every other collectible.....Why?

Because quality, elegance and style never diminish with the passage of time whereas many
other imitators and brands, assuming they thrive & last, just never can duplicate nor surpass
what already sets the height of the bar. Say what you will but Centennials never go out of style.

The specs are consistent, at least on the many sets I’ve owned , and currently have (3) plus the
colors appear to be the richest, deepest classic colors. Hey, you buy and play with what you like.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pink 4 ball?!
Not in this lifetime.

Pink is the new, never mind. I prefer the traditional colors but wanted the measle ball without buying it separately. Plus Buffalo’s has two sets with the traditional colors and I had to be different.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume they are not the Hyperion balls. I might still get a set of Hyperion balls before the next Derby or trip to Vegas.

The box says Zeus Cyclops not Hyperion. It says that they are based on Hyatt Technology whatever that means i don't know- are these Chinese knock- offs?? I read that they are being used for pro tournaments so I assumed they are legit- look at this 8 ball- supposedly used in one tournament and i used them 3 times on new cloth?

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 144

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Nope.....it was the 1978 Shelby Mustang...funny how the classics are worth a lot more today
than when they were offered.....same thing with art.......and every other collectible.....Why?

Because quality, elegance and style never diminish with the passage of time whereas many
other imitators and brands, assuming they thrive & last, just never can duplicate nor surpass
what already sets the height of the bar. Say what you will but Centennials never go out of style.

The specs are consistent, at least on the many sets I’ve owned , and currently have (3) plus the
colors appear to be the richest, deepest classic colors. Hey, you buy and play with what you like.

I would have to dispute the 1978 date Bava, 1968?. I am going to fork over $20 to Amazon tonight to see the Ford versus Ferrari, before the Academy Awards. My two favorite cars of all time were the Ford GT and the Chevy Chaparral. The Chaparral has seemed to disappear from the history books but these two cars battled it out and Chevy upended Ford in much the same way Ford outdid Ferrari. I have a 428 SCJ 1970 Mach 1 in need of restoration, guess I'll get to that project some day.

Attachments

• Chaparral.jpg
    Chaparral.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 138

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typo.....I raced against that Mustang on the streets in Brooklyn.
I had a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi- 426 with 4.11 gears.

The ‘68 Mustang was lighter but my Dodge was a street monster.
Both of those cars are worth are whole lot more today when new.

My R/T cost $4k brand new at Reedman Chrysler-Dodge, Langhorne, PA.
Imagine the ROI today selling either of those cars or any orig. muscle car?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a side by side comparison. Note the color, definition, clarity. Of course they play perfectly well. These are beautiful to behold.

Those are the Aramith Duramiths.

I can tell you this, after having played for a month with the Cyclop Hyperion and switching to the Duramiths to practice some 14.1: the Duramiths break open up *way* better than the Cyclop. The Cyclop were like going into a stack of rocks and they just wouldn't open up. The Duramiths pop open much easier AND if you pair them with a measles CB, which I am finding much easier to maneuver, you can have some fun.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a little disappointed with a set of slightly used Cyclops TV balls that i just bought here on AZ- I am starting to notice what looks like cuts/deep scratches developing in some of the balls after only a few weeks of play. Not knocking the seller- but also not understanding why the balls are scratching on a newly felted table

Nothing wrong with the balls -- check your pockets for tack heads sticking out from the pockets.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with the balls -- check your pockets for tack heads sticking out from the pockets.

Lou Figueroa

I cut my hand once at Pool rooms, so I’ll be inspecting the pockets before I play with the new balls.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
This thread got me to check the pocket nails. Never even gave that a thought. Mine are tucked into a gap right behind where the the rail ends. I don't think the balls can get in there but it's hard to tell.

Ps. Ford versus Ferrari, best movie I've seen in a long time. Almost worth the $20 purchase!

Last edited:

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread got me to check the pocket nails. Never even gave that a thought. Mine are tucked into a gap right behind where the the rail ends. I don't think the balls can get in there but it's hard to tell.

Ps. Ford versus Ferrari, best movie I've seen in a long time. Almost worth the $20 purchase!

I chipped my brand new centennials on Gold Crown pocket screws. I was so pissed.

Anyway, the head of the pocket screw was just barely below the counterbore of the pocket, so if fired the ball in it would compress the pocket enough that the screw head would nick the ball. I ordered screws from McMaster Carr with a real shallow head which resolved the problem.