Renaissance Wax Question ?

Balabushka_Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've used it before on just a regular playing cue without any problem, but I also own a safe queen of a hi end cue maker and I'm hesitant and concerned about applying anything to that particular cue. I was wondering what the actual cue makers use before it leaves their shops, if any, and is Renaissance a wise choice to protect the cue over time ?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Renaissance Wax was developed specifically to protect and preserve museum pieces.
I think it says so on the can. Yup, it does, I just checked.
Why would you be concerned about it preserving and protecting a cue.
IMO, there's nothing better. Question is...does the queen have worthiness ?

KJ

Last edited:

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
All my cues get a touch of Renaissance Wax before leaving the shop. Good stuff.

Alan

Phelps Custom Cues

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried the Renaissance wax after reading this thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=394833

The Renaissance wax smells like petroleum when I first opened the container but there's no smell after I applied it to the shaft. The finish is smoother and less glossy (which I think is a good thing) than the Q Wax that I used before.
318SRNRX4PL.jpg

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wax

I love Renaissance Wax. I use it on everything. I have a pretty expensive cue collection and I do cue repairs daily - it goes on all of it. It is the only wax that you can't remove. You can't take it off with alcohol like other waxes. It's very hard and clear. Works on guns too. Put it right on the metal. Makes it impervious to rust. Go forward without fear. You can even put it on precious documents to protect them. That's pretty strong...

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
wax

Take this info for what ever its worth.
The synthetic pure polymer wax has the highest melting point and it dries the hardest .

Carnauba wax has the highest melting point of the 3 known natural waxes Paraffin , bees wax, and carnauba is about 171 f
The pure polymer has a much higher melting point.
It smells allot better but it takes longer to dry.

I tried to look up the USDS sheet for the renaissance wax but couldn't find it.
I don't know what the melting point is on Renaissance wax.... ?????

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wax

Well Mike,

I can tell you that it won't wash off your hands - even with ripping hot water! I'd say it's pretty high. I don't question it much. I just know that I have tested many over the years. This is the one that works best and lasts longer. It just works.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take this info for what ever its worth.
The synthetic pure polymer wax has the highest melting point and it dries the hardest .

Carnauba wax has the highest melting point of the 3 known natural waxes Paraffin , bees wax, and carnauba is about 171 f
The pure polymer has a much higher melting point.
It smells allot better but it takes longer to dry.

I tried to look up the USDS sheet for the renaissance wax but couldn't find it.
I don't know what the melting point is on Renaissance wax.... ?????

Actually, there are many kinds of waxes. Carnauba just being the hardest of the natural waxes. By the way, carnauba wax is not at natural wax but is a petroleum distillate.

Dick :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been using Renaissance for quite some time now but have never tried it on cues, although I have thought about it a number of times. I use it mainly on my guns and on some seldom used equipment. I can say that it really protects metal from rusting and finger smudges. A very light coat and then rubbed in and then rubbed off leaves a very light film that lasts and lasts. I have a number of guns, in a safe in my back shop without heat nor air. I haven't cleaned nor picked them up in a couple of years and there is no rust on them. The stuff certainly is not cheap but a little bit goes a long way.

Dick

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Kim, but is anyone using the " Renaissance " brand ?

Pathman introduced me to Bill Schick years ago when we were dabbling with cue repair and he gave me the process he uses on every new shaft and shaft that he reconditioned. It involved his sealer formula followed by treatment with renaissance wax.

If you're looking for a name who uses it, I can't think of many bigger than his.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
wax

Actually, there are many kinds of waxes. Carnauba just being the hardest of the natural waxes. By the way, carnauba wax is not at natural wax but is a petroleum distillate.

Dick :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

HI Dick.
Are you 100% positive ?

I did allot of reading or research on different waxes .

This what my research came up with .
http://www.gliptone.com/faq.htm

Carnauba is a natural wax, extracted from a palm tree that grows exclusively in Brazil. It has the highest melting point of any natural wax on the planet (198°f). Due to its limited supply, Carnauba products tend to cost considerably more than synthetic substitutes. Not only does Gliptone use the finest grade of carnauba available (#1 yellow). Gliptone's tradition of quality is based on using the finest quality ingredients, including the highest percentage of Carnauba (as compared to competitive products). A Carnauba based car wax tends to protect your paint finish with a clear film of durable protection. Eventually this film wears away, however, with Gliptone's high percentage of Carnauba in all of our Carnauba wax products, its durability surpasses other natural wax products. Carnauba wax is recommended for show cars, hot rods, antiques, and collectibles of all types, whose owners tend to wax frequently, in order to build added depth of gloss while ensuring premium protection.

Technical characteristics[edit]
INCI name is Copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax
E Number is E903.
Melting point: 82–86 °C (180–187 °F), among the highest of natural waxes, higher than beeswax, 62-64C.
Relative density is about 0.97
It is among the hardest of natural waxes.
It is practically insoluble in water, soluble on heating in ethyl acetate and in xylene, and practically insoluble in ethyl alcohol.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wax

I like Renaissance wax, and I wish I new which natural wax it was made from.
Personally I do not think it is a Carnauba based wax. But I don't know for sure .
It looks like its a paraffin based wax and if that is true? then renaissance wax will have a lower melting point ...............

From my research the waxes hardness rating goes like this Paraffin being the softest and lowest melting point, next is bee's wax and the queen of all natural waxes is Carnauba wax .
I said the melting point was 171f in a reply I did earlier , SORRY I QUOTE THE WRONG MELTING POINT FOR CARNAUBA WAX IS REALLY 197 F
This is kind of interesting because because of everthing Carnauba wax is used on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnauba_wax

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Natural waxes

I could be way of base on all of this , From my understanding the micro crystalline that renaissance wax contains is extremely bad for your health.'

You guys might want to glove up when you are using this wax.

A friend of mine made commercial Carnauba car wax for all of the detail shops in So California.
He was telling me about the Pretroleum based chemicals that was hazard to your health that he used to make his carnauba wax.

He said he was making about 250 gallons of wax per week.
He said one solvent of chemical made it where he couldn't feel his hands .

This chemical was call Toylene Sorry that's the best spelling of it I can do..

Part of the reason I have been research out wax is because most of these waxes absorb into or skin and I am worried about the health hazards to us and out customers .

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cool

Well Mike,

I can tell you that it won't wash off your hands - even with ripping hot water! I'd say it's pretty high. I don't question it much. I just know that I have tested many over the years. This is the one that works best and lasts longer. It just works.

Way cool .

I am just trying to provide the facts about wax .
Which wax everyone prefers is there choice .

Personally I think I will glove up from now on when I am waxing my shaft :thumbup:

Things could get dangerous.

For real I did read Renaissance wax absorbs into your skin ........