Watch Guys: suggestions needed...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You got me. I need to word things better! I meant I'd give you grand for it if it were real.

:grin:

Yep, more like six grand and not for sale. And if there's one iota of doubt, I'm also a Datejust owner, a more formal Rolex. If the OP could find a used one, I would recommend that as well, to keep this relevant.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0111.JPG
    DSCN0111.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 147

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I like that, White gold on steel, fluted bezel, silver dial (or is that white), baton hour markers. You don't see many dials like that on the DJ, moreso on the Day-Date.

Nice set.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm new here and my first post is off topic - heck, not even an answer to the OP question. But, after WildWing's picture of his Rolex, I had to post my story. Pool Players generally love stories - if they are unique.

I had a Rolex exactly like the one pictured in WildWing's post. I purchased it in 1982. Around the turn of the century (how weird is it to say that?), I was at a restaurant I frequented because I was good friends with the GM. Steaks and Seafood and such; gone now. It was unique as it was moderately priced yet had a smattering of eight-figure families that frequented the restaurant. I was always at the bar.

One night I was chatting with some regulars when another afternoon regular came in that I did not know. He sat next to me. He noticed my watch right off and asked about it. Said he collected Rolexes. Time passed and he asked if he could see it. I gave it to him, he looked at the serial number and contemplated it briefly. He asked if I purchased it new, and I replied that I did. He said, "I'm guessing 1982 from the serial number." So he got my attention.

He said he had forty-three Rolexes, and he needed this one for his collection. I said I wasn't interested in selling. Now, it kept lousy time because it needed an overhaul years earlier. I had just been calling around, and it was going to be a minimum of $1,000 for an overhaul.

So he reaches in his pocket, pulls out a wad of cash and peels off 10 $100s. I told him that did not get my attention. For the next two hours, I chatted with him and regulars, order plenty of food and drink, and watched him add $100s to the pile. Finally, he paid his check, stood up, pulled out three more $100s and said that was the final offer. I had already done the math; I took off the watch and handed it to him and took the cash.

In Texas, quite a few folks have a Rolex. Back in the 1980s, they referred to them as a "Texas Timex". So, I wanted something a bit different.

I went to the Galleria, probably in the top 5 or 10 shopping malls in the entire country, and found an IWC watch I had been looking at online. It was a jewelry store, but I began trying to bargain. I guess I was in the right place at the right time, because after 30 minutes or so of back-and-forth, I got the watch pictured below for 25% off. It was not as expensive as the Rolex, but I liked the look a lot. So, always ask for a discount.

IWC.jpg

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm new here and my first post is off topic - heck, not even an answer to the OP question. But, after WildWing's picture of his Rolex, I had to post my story. Pool Players generally love stories - if they are unique.

I had a Rolex exactly like the one pictured in WildWing's post. I purchased it in 1982. Around the turn of the century (how weird is it to say that?), I was at a restaurant I frequented because I was good friends with the GM. Steaks and Seafood and such; gone now. It was unique as it was moderately priced yet had a smattering of eight-figure families that frequented the restaurant. I was always at the bar.

One night I was chatting with some regulars when another afternoon regular came in that I did not know. He sat next to me. He noticed my watch right off and asked about it. Said he collected Rolexes. Time passed and he asked if he could see it. I gave it to him, he looked at the serial number and contemplated it briefly. He asked if I purchased it new, and I replied that I did. He said, "I'm guessing 1982 from the serial number." So he got my attention.

He said he had forty-three Rolexes, and he needed this one for his collection. I said I wasn't interested in selling. Now, it kept lousy time because it needed an overhaul years earlier. I had just been calling around, and it was going to be a minimum of $1,000 for an overhaul.

So he reaches in his pocket, pulls out a wad of cash and peels off 10 $100s. I told him that did not get my attention. For the next two hours, I chatted with him and regulars, order plenty of food and drink, and watched him add $100s to the pile. Finally, he paid his check, stood up, pulled out three more $100s and said that was the final offer. I had already done the math; I took off the watch and handed it to him and took the cash.

In Texas, quite a few folks have a Rolex. Back in the 1980s, they referred to them as a "Texas Timex". So, I wanted something a bit different.

I went to the Galleria, probably in the top 5 or 10 shopping malls in the entire country, and found an IWC watch I had been looking at online. It was a jewelry store, but I began trying to bargain. I guess I was in the right place at the right time, because after 30 minutes or so of back-and-forth, I got the watch pictured below for 25% off. It was not as expensive as the Rolex, but I liked the look a lot. So, always ask for a discount.

View attachment 494051
How did he see the serial number, you need to take the bracelet off with a special tool to do that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How did he see the serial number, you need to take the bracelet off with a special tool to do that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

An ‘82 would have lug holes....all you’d need is a toothpick.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since I got criticized for suggesting Invicta, get him a Seadweller. You know he wants one. And, if he plays pool, all the better.

All the best,
WW

Nice SD! Love the 16600. I’ve never owned a SD but I’ve had a 16570, 14060, 16200, and currently an 114060.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Nice first post. Welcome.

I figured it wouldn't take long before somebody called you out. But just as fast, we have your back.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your time here.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have time to wade thru pages of a non related thread. Just trying to suggest one of the most prestigious watch forums and sources of information. Never belonged in the main forum to begin with.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have time to wade thru pages of a non related thread. Just trying to suggest one of the most prestigious watch forums and sources of information. Never belonged in the main forum to begin with.

Bob, you a recent hire of the forum police?

Seriously though, sorry that my thread annoyed you. Thanks for the suggestion of the watch forum, kind of dangerous I'll likely end up wasting some time over there too just for kicks.

In my defense, the description on the main forum says "This is the primary forum area. Rack em!", no where does it state (though I admit it could be interpreted that way) billiard topics only.

If you've spent any time in "off topic" you see what a mess that can be. I really didn't need or want 20 pages of "Obama would never buy that watch", "Trump said that watch is YUGE!" etc.

I hope you'll forgive my faux pas.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I like that, White gold on steel, fluted bezel, silver dial (or is that white), baton hour markers. You don't see many dials like that on the DJ, moreso on the Day-Date.

Nice set.

You have a good eye. Yep, the fluted bezel is white gold, and the case and bracelet are steel. It's a silver dial, which I think goes better with the baton markers. I think a white dial goes better with Roman numerals, but that's just my eye.

And, to keep this relevant, there are a lot of similar styles that are not the price of Rolex, which might be of interest to the OP.

All the best,
WW