Diamond Ball Polisher issue...

jchown

Registered
Reading through this it is apparent that the industry is in need of a better mousetrap, one that is more robust and durable.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reading through this it is apparent that the industry is in need of a better mousetrap, one that is more robust and durable.

That's ironic because after reading this thread I want to get a Diamond Ball Polisher.

Looks like they rarely come up for sale used so I need to get a $500 advance on my next birthday present.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's ironic because after reading this thread I want to get a Diamond Ball Polisher.

Looks like they rarely come up for sale used so I need to get a $500 advance on my next birthday present.

I have the single platter and it was worth every penny.

My only 'gripe' is that i wish it did all 16 at the same time.

I often go to play some quick pool, only to find 8 balls perfect, 8 in need of a spin.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are some more somethings to think about:

1. Regardless who made what, what the original intent was, or who is using it at what events, Dan White's experiments show that McGuire's is not the bestest product to polish pool balls. It will change the way they play and the variations in throw, as the product wears off, will lead to inconsistent performance.

2. Aramith knows more about the care and feeding of phenolic resin pool balls than the rest of us combined, they've been at it since the 50's. So if they've come up with a product they believe is best to clean their balls, they're probably closer to the mark than the company that came up with a product for waxing cars with clear coat.

3. Diamond has apparently had a change of heart and now recommends Aramith Ball Cleaner.

4. As I have shown and Glen acknowledge, Aramith Ball Cleaner can be safely used in the machine he designed. Just don't use too much and not too often.

Finally, all of that is where the benefit of these discussions lies. Hopefully, some will take away something of use and stop using a product that is going to make playing an already difficult game even more difficult, and more fully enjoy their Diamond ball polisher.

Lou Figueroa

tap

Tap

TAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agreed.

It’s a great machine.

Quickest - shortest - best - tip for longest life and best technique to clean and “shine” your balls ..... wipe them with a premium MF towel and a dab of the Ball Cleaner - by hand. Get in touch with your balls. It only takes a few minutes total, guys (and few gals). Wipe the contact marks and and scuff marks BY HAND. THEN place them into the Diamond ball polisher for a 60 second trip around the block and you’ll have zero issues. They’ll look and PLAY flawlessly.

My few ball sets are testament to the technique, Cleaner and Diamond.

92f81f9ade68fc9270fcab7017f81688.png

~ K

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here are some more somethings to think about:

1. Regardless who made what, what the original intent was, or who is using it at what events, Dan White's experiments show that McGuire's is not the bestest product to polish pool balls. It will change the way they play and the variations in throw, as the product wears off, will lead to inconsistent performance.

2. Aramith knows more about the care and feeding of phenolic resin pool balls than the rest of us combined, they've been at it since the 50's. So if they've come up with a product they believe is best to clean their balls, they're probably closer to the mark than the company that came up with a product for waxing cars with clear coat.

3. Diamond has apparently had a change of heart and now recommends Aramith Ball Cleaner.

4. As I have shown and Glen acknowledge, Aramith Ball Cleaner can be safely used in the machine he designed. Just don't use too much and not too often.

Finally, all of that is where the benefit of these discussions lies. Hopefully, some will take away something of use and stop using a product that is going to make playing an already difficult game even more difficult, and more fully enjoy their Diamond ball polisher.

Lou Figueroa

Can't argue with you on this Lue:grin:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
From the WPA's equipment specs:

"Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance – treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed – must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play."

The CSI (BCAPL, USAPL) equipment specs do not contain a passage like that.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another $.02 worth...because my pockets are full of coin:

There’s a big, big difference between using a “polishing” compound and anything containing wax like the WPA rules state vs the Aramith Ball CLEANER - which is a “cleaner”. Not a wax. Not a polish. They (Aramith) clearly state “to make the ball shine...” etc etc and never call it a wax or polish. Why? Because it’s a cleaner.

The very reason those rules are written that way is due to the numerous wrong products that people use (like ANY Meguiar’s product I’m seeing within this thread) on billiard balls. Then to add even more problems, people use the wrong techniques with their wrong products. As a result, the only way to remove those waxes and polishes is via the way the WPA requires. Strip the ball completely. Unless you use the Aramith Ball Cleaner of course. Properly.

These things being discussed about proper billiard ball care reminds me of the folks that wash their cars with dish soap - and when they ask for advice and thoughts on how to get their cars to look like mine - and I take time and care to help them - they continue to ask what’s wrong with the dish soap.

Told ya ahead of time this was only worth another $.02

~ K

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slightly off topic, I'm in China now for my dayjob, and went to the local room. I've played here a bunch of times, and the balls always react wrong. Super easy to draw, even at an angle. I noticed the counter girl clean them for the first time. She was using a ball cleaning machine (not any of the brands we have in the States), and holding the rack of balls down while they were spinning with a towel. She cleans them after every customer. The cleaner she used was Pledge.

Pro tip: Dont use Pledge.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Another $.02 worth...because my pockets are full of coin:

There’s a big, big difference between using a “polishing” compound and anything containing wax like the WPA rules state vs the Aramith Ball CLEANER - which is a “cleaner”. Not a wax. Not a polish. They (Aramith) clearly state “to make the ball shine...” etc etc and never call it a wax or polish. Why? Because it’s a cleaner.

The very reason those rules are written that way is due to the numerous wrong products that people use (like ANY Meguiar’s product I’m seeing within this thread) on billiard balls. Then to add even more problems, people use the wrong techniques with their wrong products. As a result, the only way to remove those waxes and polishes is via the way the WPA requires. Strip the ball completely. Unless you use the Aramith Ball Cleaner of course. Properly.

These things being discussed about proper billiard ball care reminds me of the folks that wash their cars with dish soap - and when they ask for advice and thoughts on how to get their cars to look like mine - and I take time and care to help them - they continue to ask what’s wrong with the dish soap.

Told ya ahead of time this was only worth another $.02

~ K

Sorry, but Meguires cleaner compound is not a wax, no more than Aramith is and was NOT tested in Dr. Dave's experiments!! And I'd be willing to bet any amount of money there isn't a player on earth walking in to a pool room to play pool that can tell the difference in the first place, let alone one single EXPERT here on AZB who could pass a blind test between the 2 cleaners!! So, there's some change back on your .02 cents!

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, Glen, you’re not offering any change back on my $.02 since you still developed a billiard ball “polisher” using compounds made for automobiles. Why, I have no idea - especially when there was a premier offering by Aramith. For a guy with a Home Depot bucket, some left-over carpeting and a borrowed buffer - I get it. It works. It does the job.

But using auto products intentionally when you have the choice to use the proper and best product....

Eh.

Keep your change, Glen

PS: it is worth adding to this reply post, Glen, that I think your contributions to this forum are truly invaluable. Most of the time. Great work, sir. Just this one you’re off a bit.

~ K

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, but Meguires cleaner compound is not a wax, no more than Aramith is and was NOT tested in Dr. Dave's experiments!! And I'd be willing to bet any amount of money there isn't a player on earth walking in to a pool room to play pool that can tell the difference in the first place, let alone one single EXPERT here on AZB who could pass a blind test between the 2 cleaners!! So, there's some change back on your .02 cents!

Of course you're not going to be able to tell.

But that doesn't change the fact that you'll miss when balls polished up with McGuire's don't throw as much as you expect them to. Why do that to yourself?

Lou Figueroa

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Of course you're not going to be able to tell.

But that doesn't change the fact that you'll miss when balls polished up with McGuire's don't throw as much as you expect them to. Why do that to yourself?

Lou Figueroa

99.9% of missed shots have nothing to do with throw....but it does allow for a good excuse....LMAO

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99.9% of missed shots have nothing to do with throw....but it does allow for a good excuse....LMAO

Baloney.

Though I'm not going to pull a percentage out of my.... like someone else might, changes in throw would certainly affect precise ball pocketing and precise position play. Only a banger would argue udderwise.

Lou Figueroa
oh yeah:
lmao

realkingcobra

Silver Member
For a guy with a Home Depot bucket, some left-over carpeting and a borrowed buffer - I get it. It works. It does the job. ..
Read my response to Lue...LOL FWIW I like the Aramith cleaner, just not the effects it has on any ball polisher using carpeting, but I have the solution to that problem, I'll be talking with Diamond about it shortly:grin-square:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I use 1 drop (the smallest possible drop I can squeeze out of my Aramith ball cleaner bottle, its smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser) on every other ball. All 3 sets of my balls are in like new condition, I bought them all new, sometimes if I just cleaned the table I will throw the balls in for a couple minutes with no polish.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read my response to Lue...LOL FWIW I like the Aramith cleaner, just not the effects it has on any ball polisher using carpeting, but I have the solution to that problem, I'll be talking with Diamond about it shortly:grin-square:

Now that’s a great idea, Glen. It’s time for an update and improvements.

TexasPoolPlayer7

Don't put the polish on in the polisher. Rub the polish on with a microfiber cloth on each ball individually and set on a ball tray and let them dry/haze over. Then place them in the polisher and turn on. You'll only need to have them on for about 5-6 minutes to get a perfect shine vice risking oversaturation of your carpet by applying the polish when the balls are inside the polisher.

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We always place the cue ball and 1 ball on opposite sides..... then apply 1-2 drops for the cue and 1 ball. Then run it for 5 minutes, no issues for over a year. Been cleaning at least once a week. 3 ball sets and 8 extra cue balls, all get cleaned each week, sometimes more often.