So, how much did he lose ?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bottom line to me is this and all that matters. When it comes right down to it, all the shit talk and bow wow barking. For a decent stake,

Does anybody here really think Lou would play John with his own money?

When John has his nose wide open, I would think he would, but I don't know Lou.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I've known many of these types in the pool room. Too many. It's unfortunate when someone can't play pool because they love the game.

First, let me say - John is a great casemaker...but I'm not sure about his "business" skills. And he has no business trying to play pool for money. At all.

He and Karen came through Richmond, VA in April of 2014. I ordered an Air Force themed custom case from him in person, gave him a 50% deposit, talked my friend who owned the pool room (Diamond Billiards in Midlothian) into buying some cases John was selling from his vehicle (because they ARE great cases), which he did, and John told me my case would be made in 8 weeks.

BTW - I have ALL of the FB messages saved, which I'm reviewing.

Fast forward to Jan 2016. It never happened. I was really disappointed. I told him, dude, I just want to pay you whatever you ask to make this case and I just get ignored. Super disappointing. So I unfriended him on FB and wrote it off.

If John put all of his tremendous FOCUS and ENERGY into strictly his business and customers he could be a millionaire. Quit the bs and trying to be Mr. Gambling Big Shot and start trying to be the best business man you can be and the sky is the limit. And I'LL STILL take that case and pay you the remainder for it if you ever want to complete it (6 years later). I still think your cases are the best.

I wish I could carry myself more like you, I don't know how I would have handled a situation like that, but I doubt it would be anywhere as coolheaded as you.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this is correct. There is actually a form to report gambling winnings. It's not a 1099 it's a w2g. It's not required to be a professional but you must itemize and the deductions can only be used to offset winnings.

John can't legally write off gambling losses though his business no more than he could write off hookers. If he paid the losses through his business he would have to report it as personal income. Business write offs are generally "ordinary and necessary business expenses". Almost all entertainment write offs are no longer deductible.

The way a business cheats in this regard typically would be to write it off as inventory or supplies. In other words, he bought materials or services from these individuals and forgot to 1099 them. It's not a good thing and would likely be questioned and exposed in an audit.

Thank you! Anyone seen ShootingHank? lol

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better to leave some money on the table than your ass.

I think most guys here can easily see why people who have that kind of money would want to back me in a match against you. That you can't see it just proves how much of a sucker you are.

Lou Figueroa
Don't get too bold Lou. From what I saw, he is horrible and you are just above bad!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish I could carry myself more like you, I don't know how I would have handled a situation like that, but I doubt it would be anywhere as coolheaded as you.

right or wrong (legally) I would have printed out the Paypal and grabbed a case from one of his shows.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
This is correct. There is actually a form to report gambling winnings. It's not a 1099 it's a W2G. It's not required to be a professional but you must itemize and the deductions can only be used to offset winnings.

John can't legally write off gambling losses though his business no more than he could write off hookers. If he paid the losses through his business he would have to report it as personal income. Business write offs are generally "ordinary and necessary business expenses". Almost all entertainment write offs are no longer deductible.

The way a business cheats in this regard typically would be to write it off as inventory or supplies. In other words, he bought materials or services from these individuals and forgot to 1099 them. It's not a good thing and would likely be questioned and exposed in an audit.

I can however deduct is as promotional expense. And if audited and it was challenged myself and the auditor would discuss it.

Either way a loss can be deducted and reduce taxable income. No different than if i held an event and had contests to win money, the money spent is a business expense. I was very clear in the beginning of the stream to tell people to enjoy the show and wore my work clothes to get the promotion.

I didn't intend to spend so much, i took $500 with me to play some sets. But it is what it is and the accounting will be done properly regarding how the expense is booked. Either way it will legally reduce my taxable income by the amount spent.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
He can issue the winners a 1099 for anything above $600.

The winners will be taxed on the amount John pays them.

If John involves the IRS then all bets will be nullified because neither participants in this ordeal will want to raise a red flag with the IRS.

Red flag? An expense for me is income for someone else. Everybody is responsible for their own taxes. I am not scared of the IRS because there is no reason to be.

Even if the irs audits me and ultimately disallows the expense i an ok with that. I would have their reason and if i disagreed i would appeal and if denied then i would just move on and know what to do in the future.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
right or wrong (legally) I would have printed out the Paypal and grabbed a case from one of his shows.

So you would go to jail for stealing a case?

You cannot steal because you claim a debt. There are civil remedies available that don't require risking arrest.

However i am 100% certain that if you came to my both and showed me a legitimate debt in the form of a deposit against a case that hadn't been delivered then i would absolutely refund you or work something out in your favor. Why? Because that's how i am and i hate to find out that an order s lipped through the cracks. That there are cracks is 100% my fault and neglecting to fix them is inexcusable.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

You cannot steal because you claim a debt. There are civil remedies available that don't require risking arrest.

However i am 100% certain that if you came to my both and showed me a legitimate debt in the form of a deposit against a case that hadn't been delivered then i would absolutely refund you or work something out in your favor. Why? Because that's how i am and i hate to find out that an order s lipped through the cracks. That there are cracks is 100% my fault and neglecting to fix them is inexcusable.

Well IMHO John made an offer, now it's on the other part to get his receipt to John, as John did offer to make things right. JMHO.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, I wrote you yesterday on FB - per your request. You seemed sincere enough about wanting to make things write and posted about it several times. You've yet to read it, but you've had time to argue with Lou. As usual, your priorities remain out of wack. Don't bother writing back - I'll pass on the case. Best of luck.

Last edited:

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, I wrote you yesterday on FB - per your request. You seemed sincere enough about wanting to make things write and posted about it several times. You've yet to read it, but you've had time to argue with Lou. As usual, your priorities remain out of wack. Don't bother writing back - I'll pass on the case. Best of luck.

Wow!

You don't want it?

Horrible look on his part.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well IMHO John made an offer, now it's on the other part to get his receipt to John, as John did offer to make things right. JMHO.

Nobody cares about your opinion.

On anything.

I'd rather give John 10 deposits on 10 un-made cases, and stake him to play Lou Figeroa even one pocket for the rest of eternity than read your opinions on anything.

On behalf of AZBilliards, you are hereby barred from posting. You now have "read-only" status. Good day.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody cares about your opinion.

On anything.

I'd rather give John 10 deposits on 10 un-made cases, and stake him to play Lou Figeroa even one pocket for the rest of eternity than read your opinions on anything.

On behalf of AZBilliards, you are hereby barred from posting. You now have "read-only" status. Good day.

LOL

Thank goodness for Dean, John and Glenn during these boring times.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow!

You don't want it?

Horrible look on his part.

I believe John is a good guy. I have good friends who love John and deal his cases. I think he WOULD make it right if he could get his priorities right. He's just all over the place. Many people who are super talented (as John clearly is) are also...a bit spazzy. I wasn't holding a grudge and now I wish I hadn't posted about it. I was just feeling some kind of way I guess at the time. I promise, I won't post about it anymore.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's why i said right or wrong (legally) genius. I know more about the law than you do. Not 1% have gone to jail for petty theft in 30 years unless they were a 3 time felony loser at minimum. I have no record. Id be home before you if you had the balls to go through with it after i threw the receipt at you. I know, Assault!!

Last edited: