Gus Szamboti Titlist cue

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently purchased a very unique Gus Szamboti Titlist cue from one of the members here (Kidwill). I was very excited to see something as rare as this come up. I really enjoy the historical aspect of a cue like this. When I received the cue it had the original lacquer finish on it but was in pretty poor shape (crackling and starting to peel and flake). I could see the potential in the cue but quite frankly it was kinda beat up. After much internal debate I contacted Pete Tascarella and asked him to refinish it. My playing cue is a Tascarella and I know he does amazing refinish work on old cues such as Balabuhka Titlists. I appreciate all of your comments, I am an avid reader here on Az, but I really don't post much THIS I wanted to share:

Here are the before pictures:

image.jpg

Last edited:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
My dream Gus right there.

My 'bucket list' of cues includes something like this and/or one of the few plain jane BEM cues Barry has made. I've seen three different ones I think.

Someone a long while ago on here had a SNEAKY that Gus made as well. Talk about a sleeper!

AWESOME acquisition. Huge congrats. I'd have had it refinished too. Some will complain but you went to the right person.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dream Gus right there.

My 'bucket list' of cues includes something like this and/or one of the few plain jane BEM cues Barry has made. I've seen three different ones I think.

Someone a long while ago on here had a SNEAKY that Gus made as well. Talk about a sleeper!

AWESOME acquisition. Huge congrats. I'd have had it refinished too. Some will complain but you went to the right person.

Thank you

Yeah I saw the thread on the sneaky I believe it was Paul Schofield's he called it his "Sneaky Paul".

Last edited:

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Yeah I saw the thread on the sneaky I believe it was Paul Schofield's he called it his "Sneaky Paul"

How's the Gus play?

Do you have any other of his or Barrys cues? Do you think it plays similar, being a conversion I would wonder if it plays a bit different since he couldn't really do anything with an A joint to change the hit.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How's the Gus play?

Do you have any other of his or Barrys cues? Do you think it plays similar, being a conversion I would wonder if it plays a bit different since he couldn't really do anything with an A joint to change the hit.

I had a four window Gus about a year ago that played really well, the shafts were thinner closer to 11mm (very thin) but you could move the ball really well with it. This plays well also but it is different. The handle is thinner and the shafts are closer to 12mm. I kinda like the thinner handle I have smaller to medium size hands and it seems to fit me good. I had Mr. Tascarella make me a thicker 13mm full shaft for it but I haven't hit with it yet.

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I don't think this is a titlist blank....it may be brunswick, but thoes are not titlist venners (or 261/2 for that matter) Or the order in wich titlist venners are normally configured.

The usual aqua and mahogany seem to be reversed, and the mahogany seems to be more of an orange. I would think still a Brunswick, but not sure. I've heard that some wartime "Titlists" are a bit different due to wood and dye availability, but haven't gotten that confirmed.

Nice classic cue, at any rate.

Oscargambles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think this is a titlist blank....it may be brunswick, but thoes are not titlist venners (or 261/2 for that matter) Or the order in wich titlist venners are normally configured.

Pete Tascarella said the same thing "that it wasn't a Titlist in the traditional sense". The letter I have from Barry says Titlist blank. Bill Grassley called Barry on my behalf and confirmed the veneer colors and said "it was a great cue to show how his father first started" or something along those lines. I would love any input on who would have made the blank if anyone has any information.

image.jpg

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I could be mistaken, but it sure looks like a 26.5 donor blank to me. Fantastic wood in this cue and restoration !!

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You may be lucky

I was told B Szam no longer authenticates his dad's work and hasn't for years.
Nick

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pete Tascarella said the same thing "that it wasn't a Titlist in the traditional sense". The letter I have from Barry says Titlist blank. Bill Grassley called Barry on my behalf and confirmed the veneer colors and said "it was a great cue to show how his father first started" or something along those lines. I would love any input on who would have made the blank if anyone has any information.

View attachment 381040

I have seen a reiper blank with a similar combo before specifically the orange and
Purple. Below is a link

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=5145713