Watch Guys: suggestions needed...

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to give my son a nice graduation present. Something that he would be able to enjoy for many years to come. I've got a limited budget but am willing to spend something around 1k if needed.

Can you guys give me some brands to look at in that price range?

It would be much appreciated.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would like to give my son a nice graduation present. Something that he would be able to enjoy for many years to come. I've got a limited budget but am willing to spend something around 1k if needed.

A nice Seiko from Costco. You’re way short for a new lower end Tudor or Rolex.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Movado and citizen are nice in that price range.
With movado, because they are Swiss can be a little more
Money to keep up with( battery changes).

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tissot Carson automatic chronograph.

It's the timepiece I gave my son for HS graduation. Classy, Swiss made watch. If you can find the Carson in the beehive model, even better.

Last edited:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

I would look at a Tag Auqaracer. Probably a ~42mm. A little over 1k - but a much better watch. 1k. They’re nice and last forever.

There are also a lot of reputable shops that sell used Tags. You might be able to get a used one that has the box and papers for right around 1k. Watches are one of the things that you can buy used and get a great deal. Just be sure to do your diligence before buying.

-td

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I assume you're talking about an automatic. Hamilton, Tissot, and Oris are good Swiss watches around that price point.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would look at a Tag Auqaracer. Probably a ~42mm. A little over 1k - but a much better watch. 1k. They’re nice and last forever.

There are also a lot of reputable shops that sell used Tags. You might be able to get a used one that has the box and papers for right around 1k. Watches are one of the things that you can buy used and get a great deal. Just be sure to do your diligence before buying.

-td

I second Tag Heuer. I bought one. Got a great deal but over 1k still. Very high quality. I really like it. Never had it services for like 12 years lol, and now it's really time (so to speak). But that's amazing for an automatic watch. They may have some sub 1k options. Very high quality movement.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tissot, Citizen, Seiko.... nice ones can be found for $500 up or down. Look for 25% off of Tissot. A watch is a nice gift.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Longines. In addition to those mentioned.

If you are willing to look at pre-owned, you can find Omega automatics under a grand, but you really need to look.

Whatever you decide, make sure you can return or exchange, a watch is very personal.
And there are so many variables: sport/dress/tool, auto/quartz, bracelet/strap, case size, case material, dial color, complications (date, sub-dials) hour marker design, etc.

Good luck and good job.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old Timex in a drawer somewhere that I would give you for free and we can play for the $1000 :)

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
All but the least desirable Tag is out of range and they are generally overpriced except in the used market. I'd say a Hamilton is your best bet. Seiko is best known for how much they give you in the $ 2-300 arena but also have nice watches closer to a grand.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Citizen Eco-Drive Watches. Buy the highest end Eco-Drive model that appeals to you.

Personally I like their perpetual calendar watches. Never needs a battery or a wind and you never have to reset the date. They also make some models with 'Atomic Clock' controlled time accuracy. Some very cool technology and these top of the line models will all be under $700.00 -- you can find a good discount on this brand.

Good luck.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Id stick with any of the lower/middle end SWATCH Group brands. Anything with an ETA based movement is fine. (I assume you want mechanical automatic.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Swatch_Group

Oris is another outstanding choice.
As is a lower end NOMOS.
A used Omega Seamaster 300m Diver is also a great choice for a beginner.

Eterna
Fortis
Glycine
Sinn

Now if you want quartz...I am of zero assistance.

Avoid TAG. Nobody buys those.

<------Watch guy :)

Breitling. They usually have them at Costco. Various price points. Well
Respected watches. I own a couple.

Never mind they don’t carry them anymore and the prices have sky rocketed since I last bought.