• Yes

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it standard practice to tip the tournament director after placing in the money?

If so, how much? 10% something like that?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Is it standard practice to tip the tournament director after placing in the money?

If so, how much? 10% something like that?

Absolutely, but there really shouldn't be a set amount. Reward the work, not the title.

Maniac

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always tip if I'm in the money, usually just $5 or $10. They're always surprised and confused, and usually try to refuse it. If I'm not in the money, F them.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends. I ran many, many tournaments and never got tipped. Not once. And I didn't mind because I never tipped any tournament directors either!

But lately I have been - especially when I play in small bar tournaments. The last one I won ($105) I tipped the TD and the bartender both $20. This was in addition to the tips I gave the bartender as I went.

I know that's high but I don't care. Small bars in this area hold weekly tournaments and the TDs and bartenders have to deal with pool players that frankly, can be assholes. Most weekly tournaments here have at least 2-3 pros (Fargo 720+) in them every week - one of which almost always wins, I've seen serious players ask for a glass of hot water so they can make their own tea and then don't spend a dime on food, beverages or tips. They win the tournament and are in their car 5 minutes later to head to the pool hall and see if they can get a game.

I just don't want to be that guy and I'd like to keep these tournaments going so when I win or make a little money, I tip. And they are always happy to see me. :) I feel like I'm doing my little part to help the image of pool players.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Small bars in this area hold weekly tournaments and the TDs and bartenders have to deal with pool players that frankly, can be assholes.

Oh dear God....say it ain't so!

Maniac (everybody's got one :wink:)