Pics of cracked revo

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update. Predator reached out and is sending me a label to ship it back. They want to make sure their wasn’t a tube failure

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Update. Predator reached out and is sending me a label to ship it back. They want to make sure their wasn’t a tube failure

Good luck with that...hopefully it works out in your favor somehow.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

That is great news. I've got two of the 12.9 shafts for my Roadline.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Didn't you create a thread a while back when it broke, and many told you to reach out to predator?
I'm glad you finally did. You would be surprised at what a little writing/phone call will do, especially when AZ threads are involved.

I'm sure they will make it right.

I understand that predator is using a threaded screw for weight in the shaft and the moisture inside is creating rust between the metal on the screw and the filing material. With time, this will effect the integrity of that filling material. Would this cause structural integrity by making a hollow or weak void inside? Not sure. That's why I'm interested in hearing 1,000 hour reviews of these shafts, from all companies.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This does not have anything to do with missing the fibre pad in my view.
This is how carbonfibre break when it`s stressed beyond capacity. I think we will see more of this in the future. Carbinfibre is really strong, but it doesn`t bend or give you a hint before it suddenly breaks. If this is due to abuse, sanding the shaft?? or from excessive bending when breaking I don`t know..

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This does not have anything to do with missing the fibre pad in my view.
This is how carbonfibre break when it`s stressed beyond capacity. I think we will see more of this in the future. Carbinfibre is really strong, but it doesn`t bend or give you a hint before it suddenly breaks. If this is due to abuse, sanding the shaft?? or from excessive bending when breaking I don`t know..

Very interesting article on Carbon Fiber and it's uses here....

https://www.caseyresearch.com/from-...uttle-and-everything-in-between-carbon-fiber/

They even list"pool cues" in it's sports applications section.

Of note is the section that talks about the carbon composites....

added to different kinds of resins to create composites, generally termed “carbon-fiber-reinforced polymers”

So to get the strength out of carbon fiber, you need to have your own recipe of added polymers to create the carbon composite.
I'm sure this is all different from company to company...predator might have a different formula to BeCue and they might be totally different to Cuetec.

Which formula is best? Which one will hold up the longest?
Time will only tell.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Having used 100% & aluminum core carbon fiber arrows some years ago.
Great arrows but limitations were side hits. Excessive flexing would separate the fibers then sometimes without warning they word shatter on firing the arrow from the bow.
The other was twisting such as pulling from a target. Would create the unseen separation.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck with that...hopefully it works out in your favor somehow.

If it doesn’t it doesn’t ... I should of had the pad replaced on it when I realized the person I had replace the tip didn’t.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did. I felt it was my fault so I wasn’t pushing the issue. As a manager in retail I see how people feel even when it’s thier fault you our some how responsible and they want money or something for free makes me not one of those people.

Didn't you create a thread a while back when it broke, and many told you to reach out to predator?
I'm glad you finally did. You would be surprised at what a little writing/phone call will do, especially when AZ threads are involved.

I'm sure they will make it right.

I understand that predator is using a threaded screw for weight in the shaft and the moisture inside is creating rust between the metal on the screw and the filing material. With time, this will effect the integrity of that filling material. Would this cause structural integrity by making a hollow or weak void inside? Not sure. That's why I'm interested in hearing 1,000 hour reviews of these shafts, from all companies.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
send it back and give predator the opportunity to respond
if it was defective,they can replace it

if it was abused then that would explain it too

as it stands ,Predator is not being given the opportunity
to respond

this is giving everyone the impression that there is a problem with Revo

I currently have one being shipped and I am buying another one(12.4)

I f I saw ashaft in that condition I would suspect it was terribly mistreated,
but if Predator found no evidence for such a thing I am almosyt sure they
would do the right thing

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I did. I felt it was my fault so I wasn’t pushing the issue. As a manager in retail I see how people feel even when it’s thier fault you our some how responsible and they want money or something for free makes me not one of those people.

Been there, done that, I get it... Hope it works out well for you, still.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love when someone doesn’t read anything but the opening thread but comments anyway. Lol

send it back and give predator the opportunity to respond
if it was defective,they can replace it

if it was abused then that would explain it too

as it stands ,Predator is not being given the opportunity
to respond

this is giving everyone the impression that there is a problem with Revo

I currently have one being shipped and I am buying another one(12.4)

I f I saw ashaft in that condition I would suspect it was terribly mistreated,
but if Predator found no evidence for such a thing I am almosyt sure they
would do the right thing

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator has a long history of shaft problems. Their first generation shafts had super soft ferrules. They would literally melt and form a flat spot on hard and low follow throughs where the ferrule hit the cloth. I did cue repair for a decade and would see this a lot especially with players that used the 314-1 for breaking.

That particular problem did not go away until the 314-2 came out about a decade later.

In spite of that, Predator grew to be huge with a super loyal following.

I suspect the same thing is happening with the carbon fiber shaft. There will be failures from normal play, and those failures will be highly publicized due to social media. But the product is so good and so different from anything else (just as the 314-1 was in the 1990’s) that consumers will take their chances with it.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator has a long history of shaft problems. Their first generation shafts had super soft ferrules. They would literally melt and form a flat spot on hard and low follow throughs where the ferrule hit the cloth. I did cue repair for a decade and would see this a lot especially with players that used the 314-1 for breaking.

That particular problem did not go away until the 314-2 came out about a decade later.

In spite of that, Predator grew to be huge with a super loyal following.

I suspect the same thing is happening with the carbon fiber shaft. There will be failures from normal play, and those failures will be highly publicized due to social media. But the product is so good and so different from anything else (just as the 314-1 was in the 1990’s) that consumers will take their chances with it.

There are tons of them out there now and I haven't seen many failures due to "normal play".... have you?

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a cyclist and this happens a lot when the conversations come up carbon vs. steel frame. Steel frames or more sturdy and can withstand imperfections on the road where carbon is lighter but tend to snap.

This is not my picture but I have seen many bike frames break at the stress points.
CharlotteTrek2.jpg

I think the only way to combat this stress point is possibly feeling it up with foam or some sort of insulation. Polymer is what holds or gives the carbon shape, race car bodies, but can increase weight. On a cue I don't know what the proper method of building such.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are tons of them out there now and I haven't seen many failures due to "normal play".... have you?

I had a pre-cat 314 and cat 314 both shatter just below the ferrule. I never used either one to break with. Both times it sounded liked a miscue and then I looked at where the ferrule used to be and it was just splintered wood.

Since then I have gone back to regular maple shafts.

I believe the original 314s are rare now due to people having similar problems that I did. Predator told me too bad when I sent them an email.

hitman22

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel bad for you but it happens.A while back was going to have my Corvette towed to the dealer so I went to push it back in my car port and was not paying attention and ripped the door handle off and when the tow driver went to lift it on the truck he broke my grill.Murphs law is cruel...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure if you mean the 314-1 or the Revo. If the 314-1, well there are probably a bunch of old threads especially in the ask the cue maker section. I know I had several on my lathe for new tips that had a ferrule with flat spots all over them. Any of the cue repair guys must have seen them also.

If you mean the Revo, I have a personal friend who told me he had two separate Revo 12.4's fail earlier this year. The failure was a bulge about 3/4 of the way up the shaft from the tip end. He said you couldn't really see the bulge, but you could feel it.

He uses two Revo 12.4's. One for shooting, and one for breaking. The bulge happened to the breaking shaft. He sent it back to Predator, and they replaced it. He used the replacement for breaking again, and the same bulge happened in the same spot. He sent that replacement shaft back, and they replaced it a second time. He told me the second time Predator recommended to send him the break specific shaft since he was using it for breaking.

Although I did not see the bulged shafts myself, this person is very honorable, and I trust his accounting of events completely. He is a low A level player, and definitely knows how to hold a stick.

I can't tell exactly from the OP of this thread where the break in his shaft was due to the picture not showing the entire shaft, but if its in the same place as where my friend had two separate shafts bulge, well then that clearly indicates that area is a weak spot for this shaft.

Now, just like the 314-1 with their soft ferrules, maybe this weak spot comes at a cost of the latest performance, and people will be willing to take their chances. Or, maybe Predator will address the issue (like they did with 314-2 ferrules), and make the shaft last longer while still retaining or even improving its performance.