drawing off the rail

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey, this seems to be the forum where specific shots are discussed-

so if I can get low on the table, with a level cue, I can draw the ball ok. off the rail tho, I can't get as low (rail height is higher than my desired bridge height, I guess), and find it more difficult to draw-

questions:

is it simply just more difficult to draw off the rail than off the table?

good position or not, can anyone offer any advice about drawing off the rail?

cheers~

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... is it simply just more difficult to draw off the rail than off the table? ...
Yes. The required elevation causes problems including making aiming more difficult, increasing the chance of swerve, and causing unwanted bouncing of the cue ball off the cloth.

To work on the shot I propose progressive practice using DCP's diagram above: start from a position that is fairly easy with the cue ball away from the cushion, and then move the cue ball closer to the cushion to make the shot harder. If you succeed on a shot, make the next shot a little harder. If you miss a shot, make the next shot a little easier.

Usually the distance moved in a progressive practice is the same regardless of the situation, but for shots near the rail like this, the change in distance when the cue ball is near the rail should be smaller -- but I think you'll catch on to that if you try the practice.

For a general overview of "progressive practice" as a concept and a set of simple drills, see this handout : http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/progpract.pdf

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob,
In other words, you advocate practicing the shot with the CB in the various positions as shown in the diagram below, correct?

OP,
This is just my $.02. I'd practice making about five in a row and then move the CB back a couple of inches per the diagram below. Keep doing that until you either miss or don't get any draw. If you do miss or don't get any draw perhaps start over again. The first couple of CB positions shouldn't be that difficult but the last two positions get pretty hard.

If this is not the type of stuff you are looking for just let us know.

r/DCP

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/7f4b3.png

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
is it simply just more difficult to draw off the rail than off the table?

Yes. The required elevation causes problems including making aiming more difficult, increasing the chance of swerve, and causing unwanted bouncing of the cue ball off the cloth.
It's also a different view of where to hit the ball for draw - remember that center ball tilts up with your cue.

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cloth is worn, don't even bother. Then you'd be better off with a force follow shot --- cheat the pocket if you have to --- and back out for position.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the cloth is worn, don't even bother. Then you'd be better off with a force follow shot --- cheat the pocket if you have to --- and back out for position.

I force follow better than I draw, so I appreciate this advice :D

thanks all for your replies..there's obviously no substitute for practical experience, but it's nice to be able to come here and get different perspectives to complement my own.

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi pat, I think I get the idea, but would you mind expounding on this?

You could think of the 'center' as the 'core' or center of mass.
So when jacked up, you are trying to hit the ball 'under/behind' the core of the ball, so that it rotates backward around that core.

Patrick may have a better explanation.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's also a different view of where to hit the ball for draw - remember that center ball tilts up with your cue.

pj
chgo

i guess pat can answer best but i think he means this....
the line thru the center is tilted up
like when the cue would be jacked up
disregard the radius line
this was the first pic i could find for the concept
circle picture with center.jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

i guess pat can answer best but i think he means this....
the line thru the center is tilted up
like when the cue would be jacked up
Yes, that's the idea. Here's another pic to illustrate.

The CB's "equator" is always parallel with the cue and never really horizontal - because the butt is almost always over the rail, as in the pic on the left. With the CB near the rail the butt is raised even more, so we have to visualize the equator - and judge the amount of draw we're applying - from that tilted perspective.

One way to help visualize that is to remember that the "equator" always passes through the 3D center of the CB (its "center of mass"), so the amount of draw we're applying is the amount we're aiming the stick below the 3D center.

The two pics below show about the same amount of draw (about maximum) being applied in both cases.

pj
chgo

View attachment 41490

Attachments

• draw.jpg
    draw.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's the idea. Here's another pic to illustrate.

The CB's "equator" is always parallel with the cue and never really horizontal - because the butt is almost always over the rail, as in the pic on the left. With the CB near the rail the butt is raised even more, so we have to visualize the equator - and judge the amount of draw we're applying - from that tilted perspective.

One way to help visualize that is to remember that the "equator" always passes through the 3D center of the CB (its "center of mass"), so the amount of draw we're applying is the amount we're aiming the stick below the 3D center.

The two pics below show about the same amount of draw (about maximum) being applied in both cases.

pj
chgo

View attachment 41490
great explanation and great pics patrick

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Cue ball last.

These shots require precision in striking the cue ball. That along with an elevated perspective of the shot makes cue ball last a good option.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
this may or may not be one of your issues
since you are shooting more "down" on the cue ball
you may subconsciously not be stroking thru the cueball for fear of slamming your tip into the slate