buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not really

might soften up the hit of a very hard tip, but that's an edge case at best

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
a pad under the tip will soften the hit but a clear pad does not seem to have any effect.............. IMHO

Kim

SpotOn

Registered
Depends on the pad material. Mostly I would say no difference since most materials are very hard.

James Sarenich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real resons for pads

I'm surprised that no one has talked of the original purpose of a pad. Pads were originally used on ivory ferrules. They are meant as a buffer, to stop the ivory ferrule's grain from splitting. As the tip flattens out, it expands in surface area (mushrooming). With a pad the tip expands across the pad. Since the pad doesn't have grain it doesn't split and it doesn't expand in area. Like the tip. Thus the ivory ferrule doesn't split or chip as easily.

As Far as the new low deflection ferrules go and the pads that accompany some of them. I can only theorize that these thicker carbon pads are there to spread out the force of the hit over the entire top of the ferrule. Picture putting a thin mattress over your stomach and having someone punch you. You still feel the punch and the area where the fist was. Although softened. You still feel the area of the fist. Now put a piece of plywood on your stomach. Then that same thin mattress and have someone punch you. The pressure is spread out over the entire piece of plywood. Saving a pain in your stomach. Your stomach representing a ferrule. The plywood representing a carbon pad. The mattress representing your tip. Thus able to use much lighter and less durable material as a ferrule for low deflection purpose.

While not a cue maker. Just a lowly repair guy. That's my 2 cents worth and I'm sticking to it. Jim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised that no one has talked of the original purpose of a pad. Pads were originally used on ivory ferrules. They are meant as a buffer, to stop the ivory ferrule's grain from splitting. As the tip flattens out, it expands in surface area (mushrooming). With a pad the tip expands across the pad. Since the pad doesn't have grain it doesn't split and it doesn't expand in area. Like the tip. Thus the ivory ferrule doesn't split or chip as easily.

As Far as the new low deflection ferrules go and the pads that accompany some of them. I can only theorize that these thicker carbon pads are there to spread out the force of the hit over the entire top of the ferrule. Picture putting a thin mattress over your stomach and having someone punch you. You still feel the punch and the area where the fist was. Although softened. You still feel the area of the fist. Now put a piece of plywood on your stomach. Then that same thin mattress and have someone punch you. The pressure is spread out over the entire piece of plywood. Saving a pain in your stomach. Your stomach representing a ferrule. The plywood representing a carbon pad. The mattress representing your tip. Thus able to use much lighter and less durable material as a ferrule for low deflection purpose.

While not a cue maker. Just a lowly repair guy. That's my 2 cents worth and I'm sticking to it. Jim

Hi James
The pad was discussed on Ivory ferrules, in multiple threads over the years. As time has shown, the pad is just not for Ivory anymore.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has be established on here that the pad can change the hit. So lets move on to why pads are mostly used. It is to keep the ferrule from cracking. On modern ferrules that are capped this is not as much of a problem. But almost all modern materials that have the hole drilled all the way through should have the pad to help keep the ferrule from cracking.

Last edited:

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
It has be established on here that the pad can change the hit. So lets move on to why pads are mostly used. It is to keep the ferrule from cracking. On modern ferrules that are capped this is not as much of a problem. But almost all modern materials that have the hole drilled all the way through should have the pad to help keep the ferrule from cracking.
Chris and all,
IMHO much of the hoopla over tip pads is cosmetic and not functional. We see these pads in clear and all colors of the rainbow. They, are cut from acrylic, polycarbonate, and other unspecified plastics. One proponent even claims his special brand of pad reduces deflection.
Rarely is protection of the shaft mentioned as a function of the pad.
Those of us who have done this for a while, know this to be the primary function of a tip pad.
My 2 cents,
Gary
P.S. Don't even get me started on the trend to use colorful, figured acrylic pen-barrel stock for ferrules!

Last edited:

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pad under tip is so bad 1970s crap material.
Get a proper ferrule and remove crap pad and have good hit.

Hint: OB2 shafts might be the only one where a carbon fibre pad is actually warranted, due to special construction.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Chris and all,
IMHO much of the hoopla over tip pads is cosmetic and not functional. We see these pads in clear and all colors of the rainbow. They, are cut from acrylic, polycarbonate, and other unspecified plastics. One proponent even claims his special brand of pad reduces deflection.
Rarely is protection of the shaft mentioned as a function of the pad.
Those of us who have done this for a while, know this to be the primary function of a tip pad.
My 2 cents,
Gary
P.S. Don't even get me started on the trend to use colorful, figured acrylic pen-barrel stock for ferrules!

Those ferrules are uglier than Meth heads.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it softens the hit. Then the hit has changed. Lol

Fair point!

I suppose I could just get rid of the "not really" :grin-square:

I only noticed the dampening when using very hard tips, like wb or a triangle dud—and it was pretty minor. Anything softer than that, and I couldn't feel nor hear any difference (I typically play with medium-pressed elk duds).

I mostly use/install them because they look cool and protect the ferrule. I always end up facing off a couple thou of ferrule when changing tips, and it's definitely better to cut down the pad then the actual ferrule. I'm decent-at-best on the lathe, so I really appreciate the wiggle room provided by the pad.

Last edited: