Disappointing gesture from Shane

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t believe this minor infraction is causing this heated debate.
All pool players beware, the etiquette police are watching

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am just curious, if the room owner came and wiped his house tips on your guy's cases, nobody would mind right?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Well I personally think it’s been an awesome thread. A little contention without much mud slinging, finding out about people’s ways and all. Most who disagree with the wiping method have said it’s not a big deal just a little off. I don’t like it but it’s whatever. I also put my hand back under the Auto paper towel dispensers in the gym and public bathrooms before I walk away, just to leave another towel in easy reach for the next person. Never seen anyone else do it, even though I know the smug bastids ( ;) )have seen me do it and quite possibly benefited themselves from it but again it’s just a thing.

Or they want a towel that is fresh from inside and not already out with who knows what on it. For all they know you wiped your tip with it and left it hanging there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maybe I’m not as subtle as I once thought...

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Well I personally think it’s been an awesome thread. A little contention without much mud slinging, finding out about people’s ways and all. Most who disagree with the wiping method have said it’s not a big deal just a little off. I don’t like it but it’s whatever. I also put my hand back under the Auto paper towel dispensers in the gym and public bathrooms before I walk away, just to leave another towel in easy reach for the next person. Never seen anyone else do it, even though I know the smug bastids ( ;) )have seen me do it and quite possibly benefited themselves from it but again it’s just a thing.
Or they want a towel that is fresh from inside and not already out with who knows what on it. For all they know you wiped your tip with it and left it hanging there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol it’s not the chalk getting on the floor that’s the minor problem, it’s the gesture...I’m wiping my shit off on your carpet. Not a huge deal but it’s slightly disrespectful in general. Any adult who doesn’t feel that way already never will.

Yep, Its disrespectful to another's property and to the room owner. It wouldn't be tolerated in our local rooms. Saying it can easily be cleaned up with a vacuum tells me your mom always cleaned up after you too...lol Just because many young pros are doing it doesn't justify it...lol It only shows me they are just mimicking the bad habits of others.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... Saying it can easily be cleaned up with a vacuum tells me your mom always cleaned up after you too...lol ....

It should tell you that I have ran a vacuum cleaner in a pool hall more than once. But judgemental assumption and/or lack of creativity on your part tried to use it as an insult.

Swing and a miss.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Maybe I’m not as subtle as I once thought...

Quoting something I said after the post you put it in? No, that's not exactly subtle. I guess I thought my tip swipe reference was enough to indicate it was just an attempt at humor.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I can’t believe this minor infraction is causing this heated debate.
All pool players beware, the etiquette police are watching
I've seen more heated debates in Sunday School, nobody's heated over this. Start a thread about how sloppy pool players dress if you want to see heat..

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Quoting something I said after the post you put it in? No, that's not exactly subtle. I guess I thought my tip swipe reference was enough to indicate it was just an attempt at humor.

Lol, so was my after-quote. As if admitting my actual reasoning for leaving the paper towel hanging was to trick someone into taking an already dirtied disposable hand drying device.

Explaining humor never works out well though, the internet sucks for some things.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d play her in anything, happily ; )

When are we gonna play though? I’ve been mentioning it whenever I see you here for a while. I live right at 2 and 260...not far from where ever you be in the beach.
Really I don't recall that ever being the case , I don't know you or maybe I do where do you play , what do you play , you got a table ? did you know my friend Richard Keef ?

crabbcatjohn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It should tell you that I have ran a vacuum cleaner in a pool hall more than once. But judgemental assumption and/or lack of creativity on your part tried to use it as an insult.

Swing and a miss.
Not directed at anyone in particular... It was mentioned several times. Sorry if it hit a nerve with you. My point was its not ok to make a mess and justify it by saying someone will clean it up anyway so its ok. My mom didn't raise me that way.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knowing that people will/can not alter their belief that something that they believe and/or have been doing for years/decades is incorrect and/or improper (called "cognitive dissonance") I've resisted the temptation to post again in this thread, but I just can't resist any longer.

Anyone who believes that intentionally and deliberately cleaning anything of theirs, including a dirty cue tip, by digging it into somewhere elses carpet, regardless of who does it or where it is done, is perfectly fine, not disrespectful or just plainly in poor taste, is, at best, inconsiderate, lazy, and a very poor guest/customer.

The arguments trying to justify the behavior using irrational comparison is equally inconceivable. Saying things like "we walk on the carpet with our dirty feet" or "when I chalk my cue, powder always falls on the floor" is simply someone desperately trying to justify their own unacceptable actions...walking on a carpet is the intended use of floor carpeting, not a misuse, and chalking your cue unintentionally causes some powder to float down to the carpet, an unintentional consequence, but digging one's cue into the carpet is neither it's intended use nor an accident. Huge differences.

The end of the world, no...but very telling...and the "story" isn't very complimentary.

Sorry, I'm out.
Well I'm assuming that now you and the other molly manner police knowing that your unintentional leaving chalk dust on the floor you will now chalk over a trash can , other wise from this point forward your no different than they are

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, Its disrespectful to another's property and to the room owner. It wouldn't be tolerated in our local rooms. Saying it can easily be cleaned up with a vacuum tells me your mom always cleaned up after you too...lol Just because many young pros are doing it doesn't justify it...lol It only shows me they are just mimicking the bad habits of others.
I used to feel it was disrespectful for my working customers who come in here regularly for lunch to bring in their dirt/mud to track on our carpet, even though we keep commercial boot brushes and a high pressure hose for them outside at the entrance to clean off their boots/shoes. Over the years I've just come to accept it's part of the business and that I can't afford to risk speaking to them about it and possibly losing a customer that might take it the wrong way. Bottom line - if it weren't for these customers coming in here regularly to eat, I couldn't afford to keep our poolroom / grill open.

Last edited:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a "Monkey See, Monkey Do" type scenario...

One of my friends carries a small rag, to wipe his cues after play, so that his case doesn't get dirty.

My case is about 8 years old, I never wipe my Cues & my case has never caused me to miss a shot.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

Knowing that people will/can not alter their belief that something that they believe and/or have been doing for years/decades is incorrect and/or improper (called "cognitive dissonance") I've resisted the temptation to post again in this thread, but I just can't resist any longer.

Anyone who believes that intentionally and deliberately cleaning anything of theirs, including a dirty cue tip, by digging it into somewhere elses carpet, regardless of who does it or where it is done, is perfectly fine, not disrespectful or just plainly in poor taste, is, at best, inconsiderate, lazy, and a very poor guest/customer.

The arguments trying to justify the behavior using irrational comparison is equally inconceivable. Saying things like "we walk on the carpet with our dirty feet" or "when I chalk my cue, powder always falls on the floor" is simply someone desperately trying to justify their own unacceptable actions...walking on a carpet is the intended use of floor carpeting, not a misuse, and chalking your cue unintentionally causes some powder to float down to the carpet, an unintentional consequence, but digging one's cue into the carpet is neither it's intended use nor an accident. Huge differences.

The end of the world, no...but very telling...and the "story" isn't very complimentary.

Sorry, I'm out.

Well I'm assuming that now you and the other molly manner police knowing that your unintentional leaving chalk dust on the floor you will now chalk over a trash can , other wise from this point forward your no different than they are

Another irrational response....

Yes, I will...I will also remove my shoes upon entering the room and clean the urinal after I pee. :banghead::shrug::thud:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Really I don't recall that ever being the case , I don't know you or maybe I do where do you play , what do you play , you got a table ? did you know my friend Richard Keef ?

Well I haven’t been chasing you around the forum calling you out, just quoting you and saying let’s play whenever I think about it.

I play at bankshots, revolution/fast eddies in Springfield, triple 9. Mostly I bounce around those 3. I’ve got a big 8’ but the slate seams came loose so now there’s a rubble field under the cloth in a line across both ends lol. Old pos.

I played a few months in the APA league at the legion on 260, Monday nights. I’m like 30, shaved head, Jeff, not sure if you’re one of the people I met there or not. I play all games but I’ve been trying to focus on 1 pocket lately.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the... ?

Your tip probably is wayyy dirtier after you drag it over the carpet.
But well, I'm just a lowly pool peasant from behaviour nazi Germany where we value other people's property :eek:

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the... ?

Your tip probably is wayyy dirtier after you drag it over the carpet.
But well, I'm just a lowly pool peasant from behaviour nazi Germany where we value other people's property :eek:

And just like that, Nazi's get mentioned at the etiquette party.