does anyone know.........

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
what is the material that dufferin uses over thier logo???
and where do you get it???????
and merry christmas everyone

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
JBCustomCues said:
you could use clear epoxy like two ton..
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
merry christmas joe & crew

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like an acrylic or a plexi of some sort to Me. What do You need It in, Rod Form or sheet? I may have a link to place on My other computer.

Greg

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
It looks like an acrylic or a plexi of some sort to Me. What do You need It in, Rod Form or sheet? I may have a link to place on My other computer.

Greg
howdy greg
the stuff i'm thinking of is a mix, liquid
dieckman had some at his shop but i cant recall the name of it or where he got it at

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was given some liquid acrylic to mix.
But you need carbonmonoxide to remove any air bubbles from it, so have not used it again. There were lots of tiny air bubbles in the thin finish layer.
I ended up sanding it all off and just use epoxy for the finish.
Merry Christmas,
Neil

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
howdy greg
the stuff i'm thinking of is a mix, liquid
dieckman had some at his shop but i cant recall the name of it or where he got it at

Huh, cool, I've cut through the clear stuff on dufferins, and It has that plastic smell like the 2 materials I mentioned, so maybe the mix is made from something similar using resins as a hardening and bonding agent. I guess what I'm saying is It doesn't smell like epoxy, but has more of a plastics smell.

For the heck of It I'd check for stuff to fill table tops like they use to use epoxy for on some old bar tops, maybe they have a formula made from acrylic or something now days. I know I saw something like that somewhere, but don't remember what It's primary use was.

Wish I had more info Bud,

Greg

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
conetip said:
I was given some liquid acrylic to mix.
But you need carbonmonoxide to remove any air bubbles from it, so have not used it again. There were lots of tiny air bubbles in the thin finish layer.
I ended up sanding it all off and just use epoxy for the finish.
Merry Christmas,
Neil

Beat Me to It Neil, yeah the stuff smells like It could be acrylic, so I just assumed It was a sheet or rod material they used.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:

Gee, if only you knew someone who was a cue genius...

You can get kits for casting plastic at places like Hobby Lobby.

I'm not sure if it is exactly the same thing - but it's close enough for government work

Dale<cue smartalec>

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
I am pretty sure Dufferin uses clear discs cut out of acrylic sheet glued into a flat bottom drilled hole. Casting resin is what you are looking for, but it is most likely not what Dufferin used.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:

Dufferin drilled their cues and glued the plastic logo in the hole. It was then sanded down when the rest of the cue was and then dipped and run through an ultra violet light. I would think that any clear plastic would work.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
You can use a product made by Valspar. It is a 2 part mix that is used on bar tops. The valspar when mixed will have tiny air bubbles as well. Just take a hair dryer and move back and forth across the poored hole and it will
remove all of the air bubbles. The stuff dries crystal clear and can be sanded and polished along with the cue finish. This is an option if you don't want to use the clear rod. I think the rod material is acrylic from what I was told.I hope this helps.

Steve

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
take my word for it, BHQ...it's acrylic. I spent a lot of time in the "plastic" lab while I was in college. some of the projects we had to do was internal carving in a block of acrylic.

I never for get a smell ! acrylic can be machined, sanded, etc.....just have to keep the temperature down. it can be buffed back to a crystal clear, but again, don't let the temp get too high or it will melt (burn).

J...Jack of all Trades, retired from most !