Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Just started a YouTube channel about Russian pyramid with English commentary!
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
erriep
AzB Silver Member
erriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond reputeerriep has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-02-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpope View Post
They had a Pyramid table in a room in Ft Pierce, Fl a number of years back. It was incredibly hard to put a ball on the spot and hit it into the near corner pocket with the cue. Forget cue to object ball or caroms.

I was maybe 20-30% just stroking the ball directly with the cue for a 2 foot shot. nuts
oh , i can remember this poolroom in Fort PIerce !! it was closed in january 2013 . a funny thing is than I -as french tourist- have played this table their last opening day , when my friend Stany was playing one pocket with Tom Hay .

the Pyramid games are very interesting, and the hit is verrrry unusual, due to the big & heavy balls .
I love the combined game , unfortunatly,afaik no tables in France anymore. ...

Old
  (#17)
rrrrr
Registered
rrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erriep View Post
I love the combined game , unfortunatly,afaik no tables in France anymore. ...
Sounds like a business opportunity!

Old
  (#18)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member
KissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrr View Post
So true, it's amazing that in USSR many people played it.

Basically you have to be on par with at least amateur pool player in terms of technique to score a single ball in 5 shots and it takes about a year to reach this level, so you have to be very motivated not to give it up before it becomes "fun" (I just can't omit the parentheses here).
In a future video I would love it if you explained the rules of the various games in some detail.

Old
  (#19)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 03:51 PM

Subscribed, thanks for the effort!

Sadly, there are no Russian pool tables in London.

Russian pool is an extremely difficult and frustrating game. The corner pockets are only 1/6” wider than the diameter of the balls. It’s just crazy!

Does Stalev still play pool these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#20)
rrrrr
Registered
rrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond reputerrrrr has a reputation beyond repute

06-03-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
In a future video I would love it if you explained the rules of the various games in some detail.
Will do!

I guess there will be video with not just with rules comparison, but also with the examples of how small rule changes completely change the pace of the game.

Old
  (#21)
rrrrr
Registered

06-03-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamon View Post
Does Stalev still play pool these days?
Don't know about pool, but he co-owns one of largest billiard halls in Moscow and plays pyramid from time to time.

Just started a YouTube channel about Russian pyramid with English commentary!
Old
  (#22)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

Just started a YouTube channel about Russian pyramid with English commentary! - 06-11-2020, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Don't know about pool, but he co-owns one of largest billiard halls in Moscow and plays pyramid from time to time.

Thanks for the update. Stalev was (and maybe still is) a force to reckon with. What I remember is that he had a very powerful break (probably on par with Larry Nevel of old). Scratch pool was his best game (this is where you score points by scratching the cue ball off an object ball), probably a courtesy of his Russian pool days. Even Efren wanted none of his scratch pool game!

Bizarrely, most of the Accu-Stats matches have Stalev on the losing end. His best recorded match, by far and large, is the one against Charlie Williams from 2001 Derby City. I think Accu-Stats still carries it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#23)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member
KissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond reputeKissedOut has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Will do!

I guess there will be video with not just with rules comparison, but also with the examples of how small rule changes completely change the pace of the game.
I've watched all 3 videos on your channel and I think I have the basic rules down for combination pyramid (yellow ball has to be used as cueball) and "free" pyramid where any ball can be used as a cueball.

Can you tell me anything about the rules for the game that has a yellow ball, a red ball, and 2 green balls?

I'd love to try these games but no tables around. I wonder if playing on a 6x12 snooker table with 16 3C balls would make a reasonable approximation?

Again, thanks for posting these.

Old
  (#24)
onepocketron
AzB Silver Member
onepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond reputeonepocketron has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2020, 11:33 AM

I've watched a lot on youtube, and it's obviously an extremely difficult game. Like snooker, I like watching really good players that make it look easy, when it's anything but easy!

Old
  (#25)
rrrrr
Registered

06-12-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamon View Post
Bizarrely, most of the Accu-Stats matches have Stalev on the losing end. His best recorded match, by far and large, is the one against Charlie Williams from 2001 Derby City. I think Accu-Stats still carries it.
Here is Stalev - Williams 2001 game if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Ww6CPbpMs

And here is Stalev - Gorst match from Kremlin cup 2014:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vgcctMmpI

And another one Stalev - Chinanov - same Kremlin cup 2014, but this time - it's finals - a MUST SEE ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsGW4E0Zu9M

Old
  (#26)
rrrrr
Registered

06-12-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissedOut View Post
Can you tell me anything about the rules for the game that has a yellow ball, a red ball, and 2 green balls?

I'd love to try these games but no tables around. I wonder if playing on a 6x12 snooker table with 16 3C balls would make a reasonable approximation?
Yellow-red-green game is custom and even has no name (yet?) - it was a sponsored match to try it out. New games are always emerging in pyramid community, but few have gotten traction so far.

The rules are about points: red - 3 points, green - 2 points, white/yellow - 1 point, white pocketed with a bank shot - 2 points.

Regarding using snooker table to play pyramid - I thought about different options and basically none of them work as expected.

Many pyramid shots are about power and cushion compression, but this doesn't work on snooker cushions, because they are round.

You can get the idea of caroms into tight pockets if you use real 68mm pyramid balls on a snooker table - just don't hit hard, since cushions are made for 52mm balls and can send bigger one flying. But other than that - no way around pyramid cut pockets - even pocket reducers can't give similar feel.

But if you have some extra space you can get a small 6-7 feet pyramid table with pockets cut for 3C balls. I guess 9 feet table already can be used with full sized balls.

Old
  (#27)
rrrrr
Registered

06-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepocketron View Post
I've watched a lot on youtube, and it's obviously an extremely difficult game. Like snooker, I like watching really good players that make it look easy, when it's anything but easy!
Planning on posting one of the legendary matches next week. Some of the pros of the past decade put beauty of the game before victory and played way more attacking shots than necessary - one of the best pyramid matches ever.

These days it is played more delicately regarding the stance, pre-shot routine - more like snooker.

I guess it's same with pool - players like Reyes looked far more relaxed in 2000 matches than most of the top pool players these days.

Old
  (#28)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Thanks for posting these videos and added commentary here.

I’ve been playing with a set of 2.5 inch Bumper pool balls on my Snooker table. Making up a few variations in rules as I go along.

I’d put the level needed for American Pool at a 2. Chinese 8 ball at a 4. Snooker a 9 and my version of Russian Pyramid at a 10. Potting a 2.5 inch ball into a 3.5 inch snooker pocket is great feeling. I play about 1 game a day, then back to Snooker.

I had a friend over and he found it almost impossible...and he’s a good Snooker player . I did too the first time. I never practice billiards but play versions of games that help sharpen a particular skill. Russian Pyramid and a game we call ‘Side Pocket’ really help with cueball placement.

Last edited by Geosnooker; 06-12-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Old
  (#29)
KissedOut
AzB Silver Member

06-12-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yellow-red-green game is custom and even has no name (yet?) - it was a sponsored match to try it out. New games are always emerging in pyramid community, but few have gotten traction so far.

The rules are about points: red - 3 points, green - 2 points, white/yellow - 1 point, white pocketed with a bank shot - 2 points.

Regarding using snooker table to play pyramid - I thought about different options and basically none of them work as expected.

Many pyramid shots are about power and cushion compression, but this doesn't work on snooker cushions, because they are round.

You can get the idea of caroms into tight pockets if you use real 68mm pyramid balls on a snooker table - just don't hit hard, since cushions are made for 52mm balls and can send bigger one flying. But other than that - no way around pyramid cut pockets - even pocket reducers can't give similar feel.

But if you have some extra space you can get a small 6-7 feet pyramid table with pockets cut for 3C balls. I guess 9 feet table already can be used with full sized balls.
Thanks! I thought the height of the cushions Viv a vid the size of a 3c ball would be a problem.

Another question, if I may. On one of the videos the commentator said something about the length of the cues, and that players didn't care for such long cues but it was all that was available. Which made me wonder why shorter cues aren't available.

Old
  (#30)
Call_me_Tom
AzB Silver Member
Call_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond reputeCall_me_Tom has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Only criticism I have is that the music is loud and I have trouble hearing your commentary.

Jacoby•Katana•McDermott•OB•Pechauer•Predator•1811

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: