Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Starting over, getting better, and playing with glasses
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Starting over, getting better, and playing with glasses
Old
  (#1)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
Starting over, getting better, and playing with glasses - 06-01-2020, 11:16 AM

I played a lot 20 years ago and very little since. Since then, I've had to get glasses. I bought a 9' table so that I can get better. I've run through a decent amount of youtube lessons, and found that I'm really having to get back into the basics. I suspect I have multiple issues:
Form
Consistency
Aim
Vision

I understand practice and repetition is going to be the only answer for these, and I'm working on it. The drill I found that seems most appropriate at the moment is this one:
Eight balls lined up across the table from side pocket to side pocket. Set up a perfectly straight in shot one at a time. Run the four on each side into the respective corner pocket. The intent of the drill is to do this with a stop shot on each. Set it up again and do it with a one diamond follow for all eight. Set it up again and do a two diamond follow, then a one diamond draw, then two diamond draw, etc.

I find I'm struggling just to consistently pocket the shots.This is why I suspect the above list of deficiencies. So, my questions to you fine players:

1. For those of you with glasses, how do you deal with the object ball falling above the frame of your glasses?
2. What other drills are appropriate for my current deficiencies?
3. I also will occasionally set up a rack of 8, 9, or 10 ball to alleviate repetition boredom and work at least a little on angles, position and patterns. What other drills should I incorporate into my practice?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
 
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
HNTFSH
Birds, Bass & Bottoms

HNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond reputeHNTFSH has a reputation beyond repute
 
HNTFSH's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Central OH
   
06-01-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifu View Post

1. For those of you with glasses, how do you deal with the object ball falling above the frame of your glasses?
I don't wear glasses other than readers for small print, I'd think though that full frame glasses wouldn't sit the glass below the cue ball unless you're not bent over?

I did start wearing a left eye contact (for the small print issue) and tried to play pool with it in. Completely screwed my shot lining. You wouldn't think down-table good eye and short table good vision (cue ball) being different but they are. What's your prescription for?


Player #1: McDermott G1402
Player #2: Weir (or should I say Adam's Japan) Sneaky Pete
Break: McDermott Sledgehammer
Backup: Colt 1911

Deplorable since 1776
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Toxictom
AzB Silver Member
Toxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond reputeToxictom has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
   
06-01-2020, 12:00 PM

As far as glasses go I recommend googling "snooker glasses". They are hinged so you aren't looking over the top of the lenses. I bought some from spex4less for ~$130 usd.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
I don't wear glasses other than readers for small print, I'd think though that full frame glasses wouldn't sit the glass below the cue ball unless you're not bent over?

I did start wearing a left eye contact (for the small print issue) and tried to play pool with it in. Completely screwed my shot lining. You wouldn't think down-table good eye and short table good vision (cue ball) being different but they are. What's your prescription for?
I've got a 2 on the left eye which corrects to 20/15, but I have a 5 1/2 on the right eye. Right eye is supposed to be bifocal to 6 1/4 for reading, but I chose not to do the bifocals. I don't have an issue with the cue being outside of the lenses, but the object ball when it is about 1/2 to 3/4-ish or more down table usually is above the top of the lenses.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
briankenobi
AzB Silver Member
briankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond reputebriankenobi has a reputation beyond repute
 
briankenobi's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Charleston, Ohio
   
06-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sifu View Post
I played a lot 20 years ago and very little since. Since then, I've had to get glasses. I bought a 9' table so that I can get better. I've run through a decent amount of youtube lessons, and found that I'm really having to get back into the basics. I suspect I have multiple issues:
Form
Consistency
Aim
Vision

I understand practice and repetition is going to be the only answer for these, and I'm working on it. The drill I found that seems most appropriate at the moment is this one:
Eight balls lined up across the table from side pocket to side pocket. Set up a perfectly straight in shot one at a time. Run the four on each side into the respective corner pocket. The intent of the drill is to do this with a stop shot on each. Set it up again and do it with a one diamond follow for all eight. Set it up again and do a two diamond follow, then a one diamond draw, then two diamond draw, etc.

I find I'm struggling just to consistently pocket the shots.This is why I suspect the above list of deficiencies. So, my questions to you fine players:

1. For those of you with glasses, how do you deal with the object ball falling above the frame of your glasses?
2. What other drills are appropriate for my current deficiencies?
3. I also will occasionally set up a rack of 8, 9, or 10 ball to alleviate repetition boredom and work at least a little on angles, position and patterns. What other drills should I incorporate into my practice?

Thanks in advance.
I use Bill Curan's Billiard glasses. I thought they wouldn't be that good but I was wrong. They have helped me tremendously. check them out.

https://www.billiardglasses.com/


Playing Cue: McDermott G903, I3 Shaft, Navigator Black Super Soft tip for regular pool. I2 Shaft with Navigator Black soft tip for Artistic Pool
Break Cue: Stinger
Jump Cue: McDermott Big boy shaft with Jump Handle/ Marty Carey Jump Cue
Masse Cue: Too Tall Custom Cues Masse Cue

www.gospeltrickshot.org
http://www.mcdermottcue.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRC...yTfxDrlYmwMBOQ
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Those seem a lot like the ones Toxictom suggested. Thanks to both of you. I'm hoping not to have to pay for another pair of prescription lenses due to cost, but, that might be the only effective solution.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
slach
AzB Silver Member
slach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond reputeslach has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2008
   
06-01-2020, 01:06 PM

Very good drill, I do it with 15 balls and am pretty pleased with myself when I can pocket them all (which isn't very often!).

I got glasses from here... http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/.

These glasses are from Canada and the prices on the web site are in CAN$, they're very affordable in US$. I like them a lot, fit well, can see well and no more straining your neck trying to look through regular glasses.

I used disposable contacts for many years just for playing but they eventually got to be too much trouble. I'm more likely to practice when I can just put on the glasses.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 01:28 PM

There's no other real solutions out there except for those unattractive high-lens glasses, though, is there? Do you have issues with them touching your forehead/eyebrows and getting smudges?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slach View Post
Very good drill, I do it with 15 balls and am pretty pleased with myself when I can pocket them all (which isn't very often!).
For you and anyone else...what % should I expect to be making before I shift to working on this a little less and working on other skills?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
SpiderWeb
iisgone@yahoo.com
SpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWeb has a reputation beyond repute
 
SpiderWeb's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 994
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 22 / 96%
Join Date: May 2005
Location: High Atop The Ozark Mountains
   
06-01-2020, 03:33 PM

You can type snooker glasses, England and they have many. I think they have more experience with snooker players. orkneyoptical.lab@gmail.com can help you. They are in Scotland. If you make them 1 notch stronger than long distance they work better.
I had a problem with the man in Canada that he would never address, so I went another route.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
cjr3559
AzB Silver Member
cjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond repute
 
cjr3559's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 17
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
   
06-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Iím in the same boat as you with eyesight, started to wear glasses at around age 30 (Iím nearly 50) for distance but never wore them playing pool because of the tendency to look over the frames.

Got a pair of Dr Curranís billiards glasses and oh what an amazing difference. The balls are sharp and thereís no more halo or fuzziness anymore. Should have invested in them a long time ago.

I also recently got my dream pool room set up and really want to get to the next level of skill. Iíd say Iím a mid-intermediate player but struggle with patterns. I can pot balls and difficult shots decently, but absolutely not a pro.

I also purchased the latest series of Jerry Briesath tutorials and his advice has worked wonders. Iíve watched them a half dozen times at least. The most important thing I learned is increasing a consistent stroke and what he calls the Ďcircle of errorí when striking the cue ball. There are so many good points in these videos and theyíre explained so well I donít know where to begin.

I really need to buckle down and practice drills to memorize how the balls react to different speeds, angles, and English, but in the meantime Iím finding improving my skills playing Equal Offense has sharpened my game considerably.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
u12armresl
One Pocket back cutter
u12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond reputeu12armresl has a reputation beyond repute
 
u12armresl's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,221
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Indy
   
06-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Brian,

Ya know you didn't need to post about Bill Curan's glasses, he has his PC programmed to go through every post on the internet and if it comes across pool and glasses, he posts about Bill Curan's glasses.

In fact, Bill Curan's glasses are the most sought after billiards glasses in the office of Bill Curan's glasses.



Quote:
Originally Posted by briankenobi View Post
I use Bill Curan's Billiard glasses. I thought they wouldn't be that good but I was wrong. They have helped me tremendously. check them out.

https://www.billiardglasses.com/
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
MattPoland
AzB Silver Member
MattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond reputeMattPoland has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2016
   
06-01-2020, 04:43 PM

I wear glasses being nearsighted. My vision isnít too bad. Things far away get fuzzy without them. Reading road signs and whiteboards would be a pain. But Iím not blind by any stretch. My wife is blind without her glasses. She thinks my lenses are fake. LOL!

For me, I look over my frames when Iím down on the shot. I accept they will be fuzzy. If I try to look through my frames, my neck is cocked so awkwardly that I get a terrible headache after 20 minutes or so.

The key for me is the value of aiming while standing up. I can see the contact point. I can see the balls lining up. I can see how they overlap. I can see where the contact points line up. And then I get down on the line of the shot I saw while standing.

When Iím down on the shot, aiming is over. The only thing happening with aim now is just making sure it still feels right (NO ADJUSTMENTS). Itís now about really addressing the cueball where I want to. Getting my elbow in the groove of a straight delivery with some small practice micro strokes. And putting a solid follow through on the ball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 04:53 PM

@cjr3559 Do those videos start with basic drills for form/consistency, etc, or like many, do they assume those as a baseline and focus on position and patterns like many do? I wanted to be working on those things, but quickly realized, I'm not hitting the cue ball consistently where I want to nor am I hitting the object ball where I intended to. Without those, I can't really judge how a specific english will play b/c I'm not hitting that english or I'm getting the object ball too thin/thick. Obviously, I do pot some shots, even some difficult ones, but, not as consistently as I think I should to be working on those next level skills.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
sifu
Registered
sifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond reputesifu has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Mar 2020
   
06-01-2020, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPoland View Post
I wear glasses being nearsighted. My vision isnít too bad. Things far away get fuzzy without them. Reading road signs and whiteboards would be a pain. But Iím not blind by any stretch. My wife is blind without her glasses. She thinks my lenses are fake. LOL!

For me, I look over my frames when Iím down on the shot. I accept they will be fuzzy. If I try to look through my frames, my neck is cocked so awkwardly that I get a terrible headache after 20 minutes or so.

The key for me is the value of aiming while standing up. I can see the contact point. I can see the balls lining up. I can see how they overlap. I can see where the contact points line up. And then I get down on the line of the shot I saw while standing.

When Iím down on the shot, aiming is over. The only thing happening with aim now is just making sure it still feels right (NO ADJUSTMENTS). Itís now about really addressing the cueball where I want to. Getting my elbow in the groove of a straight delivery with some small practice micro strokes. And putting a solid follow through on the ball.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Honestly, this is kind of what I'm doing, but, my consistency is so bad, I'm questioning if that is the right way. Obviously, I don't have the muscle memory to rely on any more, either.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.