Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Ask Yourself - Still getting better?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-02-2020, 03:57 PM

I hit my best stride from 35-40, and I won a lot of amateur tournaments in New England in those years. Iím a shell of the player I once was, but I have my memories. Now what were we talking about again?

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#17)
RiverCity
AzB Silver Member
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-02-2020, 04:18 PM

For me, its largely about table time and health. 7-9 years ago, I feel like I was playing the best pool of my life. My weight was down, my back felt good and I was able to play 40+ hours a week on top of working 50-60.

Right now, by the time I get to play again, it will be October-ish, around 6-7 months from last time I played, and Ill need to rebuild my stance again from scratch because of a junk spine.

Old
  (#18)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
I hit my best stride from 35-40, and I won a lot of amateur tournaments in New England in those years. I’m a shell of the player I once was, but I have my memories. Now what were we talking about again?
Let’s face it, pool is a young man’s game just like golf. For any of those that started playing when we were young, once you are 50+, say what you want but your best years are behind you. That doesn’t mean, going into any 9-ball match or a 14.1 practice session that I can’t have the goal of playing a perfect set without a miss, or run 100 balls.

Both may not realistic, but that doesn’t mean I can’t strive to play at the absolute max that my potential allows. That’s what brings us all back to play again, even after a discouraging session, which in terms of our high expectations is nearly always the case.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 06-02-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Old
  (#19)
cjr3559
AzB Silver Member
cjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond reputecjr3559 has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Marginally better at 50 than at 18 but improving faster. Definitely smarter and have the patience and wisdom to learn better, but still have a way to go.

Itís easier to recognize my weak areas and bad habits at an older age compared to shooting from the hip and not having an understanding of the game as a younger guy.

And I can say my younger self likely wouldnít have improved even with the best instruction available. Wasnít disciplined, didnít listen or focus well and only learned by Ďdoingí which wasnít the best approach.

As far as pool being a young personís game, thatís hogwash. Maybe you need to be young to go pro, but pool is a game that can be enjoyed and won at all ages.

Old
  (#20)
Geosnooker
AzB Silver Member
Geosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond reputeGeosnooker has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr3559 View Post
Marginally better at 50 than at 18 but improving faster. Definitely smarter and have the patience and wisdom to learn better, but still have a way to go.

Itís easier to recognize my weak areas and bad habits at an older age compared to shooting from the hip and not having an understanding of the game as a younger guy.

And I can say my younger self likely wouldnít have improved even with the best instruction available. Wasnít disciplined, didnít listen or focus well and only learned by Ďdoingí which wasnít the best approach.

As far as pool being a young personís game, thatís hogwash. Maybe you need to be young to go pro, but pool is a game that can be enjoyed and won at all ages.
Iíve never understand the age issues with billiards. Im 66 and donít detect any difference At the table.. Itís not as if I have to run a 5 minute mile or bench press 250 pounds. My vision is fine and still have dexterity.

Top snooker players donít seem to lose any edge at the table. What they do is have other ambitions and interests in life. Maybe They want to take up golf or play more tennis...or Tie flies for fishing.

My observation is ití isnít age but rather not keeping fit. Some billiard players like many in society have led poor lifestyles things start to interfere with performance on the table. Joints, endurance, etc,

Iíve never smoked, done any drugs and never gained weight. Been active just about everyday of my life. Iím not unique...belong to menís sports groups, hiking and cycling groups. Iím still a youngster compared to some. Fellow Im cycling with in our mountains tomorrow is 69 and Iím likely the one hopping off the bike first on the steep slopes.

Old
  (#21)
philly
AzB Silver Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I quit playing for about 14 years, I'm 50 now and could kick the crap out of my old self.
I get it.
Took 43 years off.
Play better now than when I did as a reckless 21 year old hanging in the Philly poolrooms.
Started playing at 14.
Yeah, young phenom of sorts. Great future.
Went to college instead.
Pretty sure it worked out better.

You get to a point with this game where improvement works out in almost
quantum (small advances) that together over time sort of amount to something.

The rails are your friend.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Last edited by philly; 06-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Old
  (#22)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

06-02-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Used to always say I'm shooting the best pool of my life every day. Had to take a month off for health reasons, so I can't say that now, but I'm back practicing and will be saying it again!

pj
chgo
knowing you will is huge, hang in!!

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: