One Pocket object ball fouls

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Is it documented anywhere that a ball bumped with your hand is a foul, two balls disturbed is a foul, and more than two balls disturbed is a loss of game?

onepocket.org does not have this noted

Also that equipment fouls exist. For example, hitting a ball with your cue stick or a bridge falls under "equipment foul"

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Is it documented anywhere that a ball bumped with your hand is a foul, two balls disturbed is a foul, and more than two balls disturbed is a loss of game?

Also that equipment fouls exist. For example, hitting a ball with your cue stick or a bridge falls under "equipment foul"

I always thought it was foul on the CUEBALL. Not touching other balls. Someone chime in?

Trent

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I always thought it was foul on the CUEBALL. Not touching other balls. Someone chime in?

Trent

On one ball, you're correct it's not a foul

I have seen it documented that disturbing multiple balls is a foul and that disturbing more than two balls is a loss of rack. onepocket.org doesn't show this readily, but I'm sure it exists somewhere to read

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never played moving two balls was a foul much less loss of game until recently a

Then it bacame a foul to move two balls or a ball that crossed the line of another moving ball, then it became a foul to touch a ball with your cue stick that you were shooting over

These became fouls and as age affected me,I found myself making all sorts of these careless
errors.

Plus I found action dying out and small stakes players seeming to enjoy calling fouls either imagined or unnoticed by the shooting player

I really don't know the rules any more ,but I lost interest and finally quit.

another rule that I could not understand was the cue ball in hand ,whether it had to be placed way behind the string and yet object balls were considered behind the string if they touched at any point

Cheap pool,and precise or picky nits are destroying the game as I knew it

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We play: move one- no foul and opponent can leave it or move it back. move two- foul and owe one. Opponent has same option, leave or move back. We don't play loss of game on these. Also, moving a ball is moving a ball regardless of how. No distinction for "equipment".

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Touching a ball is OK.

But you cannot move it back without your opponent's OK -- they get to determine whether it stays where it ended up or moving it back. It is a foul to move it back without your opponent's OK. I learned this the hard way one match when I was just learning to play 1pocket and moved a ball back twice in one match without my opponent's blessing (slow learner).

It is also a foul if the CB traverses the area where the disturbed ball originally was or it hits the ball in it's new location. Two or more balls is a foul.

Lou Figueroa

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Touching a ball is OK.

But you cannot move it back without your opponent's OK -- they get to determine whether it stays where it ended up or moving it back. It is a foul to move it back without your opponent's OK. I learned this the hard way one match when I was just learning to play 1pocket and moved a ball back twice in one match without my opponent's blessing (slow learner).

It is also a foul if the CB traverses the area where the disturbed ball originally was or it hits the ball in it's new location. Two or more balls is a foul.

Lou Figueroa

Is this documented anywhere? I could have sworn onepocket.org had it but they don't, unless their rules are posted somewhere else on the site

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this documented anywhere? I could have sworn onepocket.org had it but they don't, unless their rules are posted somewhere else on the site

It is in the DCC One Pocket Rules, to wit:

"Cue Ball Fouls Only: Accidentally touching or disturbing a single object ball is not a foul unless the disturbed ball has an effect on the outcome of the shot. See a referee for advice if you think this has happened. Otherwise, the opponent has the option to restore the disturbed ball or leave it in position. If the offending player attempts to restore the disturbed ball without giving their opponent the restoration option, it is a foul.

Accidentally touching or disturbing 2 or more object balls is a foul, and there is no restoration option for the disturbed balls."

Lou Figueroa

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
It is in the DCC One Pocket Rules, to wit:

"Cue Ball Fouls Only: Accidentally touching or disturbing a single object ball is not a foul unless the disturbed ball has an effect on the outcome of the shot. See a referee for advice if you think this has happened. Otherwise, the opponent has the option to restore the disturbed ball or leave it in position. If the offending player attempts to restore the disturbed ball without giving their opponent the restoration option, it is a foul.

Accidentally touching or disturbing 2 or more object balls is a foul, and there is no restoration option for the disturbed balls."

Lou Figueroa

Thank you

Does it also mention the loss of game when multiple balls are disturbed?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
hmmmmm, no.

And frankly, I've never heard of that one.

Lou Figueroa

Sounds like someone argued it tooth an nail. Grasping at straws!
I never heard of that being a foul unless the balls moved would have changed the play. Still not loss of game and only a foul.

Trent

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
As long as I have been playing there are only two styles of play and they are agreed upon at the start of a match. Touch fouls on the cue ball only or touch fouls on any ball.

There is a story about UJ Puckett Grady Matthews used to tell. UJ was in a match, touch fouls on the cue ball only. UJ was shooting over the stack and had to use a bridge. He shot and when he lifted the bridge it touched one of the balls and the guy called a foul. UJ got mad and argued with him over cue ball fouls only. Finally UJ says you mean to tell me I owe a ball for touching that ball. The guy says yeah. UJ leans over and pushes the whole cluster of balls in front of his pocket. Says "might as well owe two" and walks off. :D

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never played

another rule that I could not understand was the cue ball in hand ,whether it had to be placed way behind the string and yet object balls were considered behind the string if they touched at any point

w it

I agree. It always struck me as one of the dumbest things in pool, that the definition of 'behind the line' is different for the cue ball, vs object balls.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
As long as I have been playing there are only two styles of play and they are agreed upon at the start of a match. Touch fouls on the cue ball only or touch fouls on any ball.

There is a story about UJ Puckett Grady Matthews used to tell. UJ was in a match, touch fouls on the cue ball only. UJ was shooting over the stack and had to use a bridge. He shot and when he lifted the bridge it touched one of the balls and the guy called a foul. UJ got mad and argued with him over cue ball fouls only. Finally UJ says you mean to tell me I owe a ball for touching that ball. The guy says yeah. UJ leans over and pushes the whole cluster of balls in front of his pocket. Says "might as well owe two" and walks off. :D

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

I read that in Puckett's voice haha!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... another rule that I could not understand was the cue ball in hand ,whether it had to be placed way behind the string and yet object balls were considered behind the string if they touched at any point
I believe that onepocket.org plays this by the standard pool rule: the location of a ball relative to the headstring is determined by the center of the ball. A ball on the headstring exactly is not in the kitchen.

Sadly one pocket is often played by some other goofy rule as you have discovered.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I believe that onepocket.org plays this by the standard pool rule: the location of a ball relative to the headstring is determined by the center of the ball. A ball on the headstring exactly is not in the kitchen.

Sadly one pocket is often played by some other goofy rule as you have discovered.

I always played base of the ball, which is the same as the center. It is the most accurate and sensible way in my opinion. Using the logic of the line is on the table and the base of the ball is the only part that can touch it. So measure from there whether the ball is in front of or behind the line.

Golf has a similar rule. The margin of a hazard does not extend upward. Your ball can be in a bush hanging over a sand trap. It is not in the trap. Similarly, the line for the kitchen does not extend upward. It is on the bed of the table. Only the base of the ball can touch it.