Why is slow nap cloth no longer used?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thought you were going to say which was slowest. What happened to Stevens? They just fold up or what? UD: Did a lil search and found that the JP StevensCo. got bought out in 1988. Union troubles got the best of them. Apparently the movie "Norma Rae" was based on stuff that happened in a Stevens mill.

Mali ended up buying them.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I never minded the speed 'cause that's all there was back when. What i didn't like was the pilling(little fur balls) that would deflect a ball. You had to brush that stuff a lot. I think 860-speed cloth is just about right.

All cloths back then didn't shed she same either.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Here's a question for all you talking a out old school cloth, as if most of you think you know something....LOL

Which old cloth are you refering to, is it Mali, Steven's, Warren, Charles House, Brunsco1, Championship, Simonis? Were any of you aware of Simonis producing a rayon backed cloth, like the rubber backed bar table cloth as I use to refer to it. All these cloths played much differently from each other, so which cloth played so slow as you guys put it, that superman couldn't even get a decent break on a rack of 8 ball????

I played knowingly on Mali and Stevens.
A lot of stuff I had no idea what it was...but some were horrible.

But I think a lot of that slow cloth where you couldn’t break very well on was because of
installation....it wasn’t stretched enough....whaddiya think, Glen?

I think a lot of reports of slow tables today are loose cloth also....sometimes because of
humidity...and sometimes just not pulled enough when installed.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Don't know, don't really care!

I never minded the speed 'cause that's all there was back when. What i didn't like was the pilling(little fur balls) that would deflect a ball. You had to brush that stuff a lot. I think 860-speed cloth is just about right.

The cheap cloth at the time would make those little fur balls, not the good stuff. The cheap stuff is no doubt still around today. There was a benefit after Katrina that Olhausen donated two home tables to for play, trick shot exhibitions, and then to be auctioned off after the two days of nonstop play. After two days of that heavy use in high humidity that cloth was ruined, covered with those little fur balls.

No particular reason for me to remember what the good cloth was after this long, mostly wool I believe. Seems like the more wool it was the more expensive it was but I have slept a lot of times since then.

Hu

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like roller skating

Have you ever played on it? Its like rolling a giant bowling ball through corn stalks.

Roller skating sidewalks with metal wheels was easy to pick up. Equal to a nappy cloth. Then I graduated to a hardwood rink with hard rubber wheels. My wheels came off LOL for quite awhile.

Learning on a fast cloth can give one the Willie's out of control feeling. So if ya can learn on a slower cloth all the basics then it will be easier to move up. As it is a cloth can change by the hour depending on air conditions.

If ya have to skimp do it on the table and not the cloth or cushions.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I played knowingly on Mali and Stevens.
A lot of stuff I had no idea what it was...but some were horrible.

But I think a lot of that slow cloth where you couldn’t break very well on was because of
installation....it wasn’t stretched enough....whaddiya think, Glen?

I think a lot of reports of slow tables today are loose cloth also....sometimes because of
humidity...and sometimes just not pulled enough when installed.

The rayon backed cloth was the worst cloth ever made. Mali AND Simonis both offered it. Nothing could filter through that backing, looked like a white sheet of rubber glued to a thin bed of cloth. No stretch to it to speak of, and would end up being the dirtiest cloth on the market if it wasn't kept clean. Aot of times the cloth would separate from the backing, and you'd end up with a whole section of cloth limp as hell just laying there, and you could see where the cloth was still glued to the backing, and where it wasn't anywhere on the table. Vendors loved using that cloth because even miscue Nick's in the cloth just looked like a pothole and not a tear.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roller skating sidewalks with metal wheels was easy to pick up. Equal to a nappy cloth. Then I graduated to a hardwood rink with hard rubber wheels. My wheels came off LOL for quite awhile.

Learning on a fast cloth can give one the Willie's out of control feeling. So if ya can learn on a slower cloth all the basics then it will be easier to move up. As it is a cloth can change by the hour depending on air conditions.

If ya have to skimp do it on the table and not the cloth or cushions.

I have a lot of hobbies, quad speed skating is one of them.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worst (no pun intended) cloth I ever seen was on some tables in CCK Air Base in Taiwan, back in the 70s.

They had just recovered the tables for an island-wide 14.1 pool tournament and I have no idea what type of cloth it was or where they got it.

The crap looked, acted, and played like it was some type of outdoor carpet that was supposed to look like "grass".

It was really bright green and actually had little "bristles" that stood up at what looked to be about a 1/8' length. The "bristles" weren't the little "hairs" you see in nap, they were more like little "fibers" that were stiffer. It played super slow and it took quite a while to figure out what speed you needed to use when you hit a ball at "pocket speed". If you shot too soft, the cue ball would get stuck in the "grass".

As long as the cloth is stretched tight, the rails aren't dead, and the table is level, I can get used to just about anything, but there are products that make playing extremely confusing and difficult.

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most people here being from the US have never played on something like
Strachan 6811

until you do, your frame of reference would be very old

these newer napped cloths are insanely good

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
very old?

most people here being from the US have never played on something like
Strachan 6811

until you do, your frame of reference would be very old

these newer napped cloths are insanely good

I'm hurt you say very old! It was a bit less than forty years ago. :grin-square::grin-square:

I would like to play on the new nap just to see what it is like.

Hu

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm hurt you say very old! It was a bit less than forty years ago. :grin-square::grin-square:

I would like to play on the new nap just to see what it is like.

Hu

LOL.

Old people talking about "naps".

It is getting bad now.

Where is my pillow?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
It does make playing alot easier

Where i play league we had the slowest cloth in the area
Just had it changed to simonis and league night and tournament night run outs were way more common

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Just getting bad now

LOL.

Old people talking about "naps".

It is getting bad now.

Where is my pillow?

It is just "getting bad" when we talk about naps, when we start talking about nappies, the adult version, things have went to hell in a handbasket! :grin:

Hu

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My home table of 17 years is slow nap cloth.

I got excited when the IPT used slow nap cloth.

Me too. When Marietta Biliards went to the slow cloth for the IPT events I could do things with the cueball that I had not been able to do in years. It restore my confidence in my stroke, but it left us with a whole room full of people whining about the cloth.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
I like it!

We’re getting old enough to fall asleep while driving....that’s a directional nap...:eek:

Couldn't rep you yet but that is clever.

I'm getting like a puppy, I can fall asleep even when I'm standing or walking!

Hu

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't think cloth affects skids.

pj
chgo

A ball standing still on cloth is stitting on friction waiting to happen. The cue ball rolling up on it is trying to move that ball. If the ball won't slide first then roll, then the cue ball meets resistance, the standing ball. It the surface of the cloth has enough friction contact on the base of the ball that prevents it from sliding first, and insists on being forced to roll first in order to move it from the position the ball is sitting in, that resistance is what causes the cue ball to climb up on the object ball, because for a split second the cue ball has impacted against an immovable object. If the object ball is allowed to slide from its position first, before it starts to roll, the friction of sitting on the cloth is out of play. Clean, waxed balls present no sitting friction, and slide before rolling. Cloth with a softer surface presents less sitting friction, therefore less resistant to being moved by the collision impact of the cue ball.