table storage question

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found an old brunswick i'm interested in. 1940's era.
I wouldn't have anywhere to put it for awhile, so wondering what the risk is, if any, of storing it in a non climate controlled environment.

I'd have access to storage in a warehouse in tx hill country. Pretty mild climate. May dip below freezing a few times a year, 90's in the summer max.

Would this do any harm to the table?

Thanks

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I found an old brunswick i'm interested in. 1940's era.
I wouldn't have anywhere to put it for awhile, so wondering what the risk is, if any, of storing it in a non climate controlled environment.

I'd have access to storage in a warehouse in tx hill country. Pretty mild climate. May dip below freezing a few times a year, 90's in the summer max.

Would this do any harm to the table?

Thanks

Doubt it. All table woods are kiln dried and I never heard of one warping. I'm sure the table guys will have their views. I purchased a GC I outta a storage shed in Denver a year ago, it's been in storage for YEARS. As long as NO water can infiltrate the storage area, all is good. Only thing you'll probably have to do, install new cushions. I'd take my time and find the right table mechanic. Enjoy.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Doubt it. All table woods are kiln dried and I never heard of one warping. I'm sure the table guys will have their views. I purchased a GC I outta a storage shed in Denver a year ago, it's been in storage for YEARS. As long as NO water can infiltrate the storage area, all is good. Only thing you'll probably have to do, install new cushions. I'd take my time and find the right table mechanic. Enjoy.

I gotta a lotta faith in that older Brunswick rubber....it can be brought back to life.
I don’t have much faith in the new Brunswick rubber...and it doesn’t fit well on a GCI.

Hitting can make the rubber resilient again.
Try using a rubber mallet...use it a lot....it’s a free shot.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hitting can make the rubber resilient again.
Try using a rubber mallet...use it a lot....it’s a free shot.

<--------------- Beats the rails enough without a mallet. Particularly the areas to either side of the pockets! :grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
<--------------- Beats the rails enough without a mallet. Particularly the areas to either side of the pockets! :grin:

Reminds me of a conversation I overheard at a trade show.
“I played Nicky Varner in a tournament once...not sure what game Nicky was playing...
...but I was playing three cushion billiards,”

:)

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Never heard of cushions lasting 80 years, but I could easily be wrong.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Never heard of cushions lasting 80 years, but I could easily be wrong.

Got four GCIs at our room from the 60s...maybe a half length slow...get a lotta play.
The fifth GCI has been re-rubbered three times with Super Speed.
...it plays the worst of the five GCs....slow...and the angles aren’t right.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The best way to store it, is to keep it in play,
Family, friend or rent it to a pizza joint or some such
with an understanding that it's not for keeps.
On a renter set up,
when the rents to dam high day comes along,
play them for double or nothing.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I restored a table in 2004. I tore into the RESTORE & before I realized what I had done, the gum rubber rails off a 1903 Monterrey Mission were laying in the floor. I'm sorry to tell that about myself. I ended up putting Dual Density Championship Cushions on the rails, but even today, I wonder what how that table would have played, had I left them on. The rubber cushion was lively & they looked good.. I'd bet I made a mistake.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got four GCIs at our room from the 60s...maybe a half length slow...get a lotta play.

Was the subrail profile modified to accommodate proper geometry? New rubber is not a direct "bolt on" to the old subrail profiles.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Do Texas termites like kiln dried wood?

What did the aging termite say when he crawled up to the bar?

"Is the bartender here?"

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

I have seen you say this quite a few times. I in fact work on these tables all the time and Superspeeds play excellent on the older tables with the RIGHT person working on them. The nose height is exactly the same 1 7/16" and the pocket angles are easily corrected. Please stop spreading mis-information...... The Superspeed might not be the EXACT replacement to the Monarch Superspeeds, but, they are the best option with out the sub rail mod, which is not actually changing the angle, but, is reducing the subrail by 1/8" + 1/32" for the cloth to keep the 2:1 ratio of the playing surface. Thanks

Trent from Toledo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have seen you say this quite a few times. I in fact work on these tables all the time and Superspeeds play excellent on the older tables with the RIGHT person working on them. The nose height is exactly the same 1 7/16" and the pocket angles are easily corrected. Please stop spreading mis-information......( The Superspeed might not be the EXACT replacement to the Monarch Superspeeds, )but, they are the best option with out the sub rail mod, which is not actually changing the angle, but, is reducing the subrail by 1/8" + 1/32" for the cloth to keep the 2:1 ratio of the playing surface. Thanks

Trent from Toledo

Seems like you aren’t completely disagreeing with me.
GC111 gave us some bad rubber....I had a friend buy 10 GCIIIs for his room....
...needed rubber in two years...they played like the cheap rubber I could buy for 25% of
the price of Superspeed.
I feel Brunswick was putting their label on that cheap rubber.

The rubber has gotten better....but it is not the quality of that old rubber.
...haven’t played on a 5 or a 6...but it was pointed out to me by a great player that the IVs
had some dead spots in the rails after about three years in a busy room.

I have played a lot of pool on Anniversaries and GCI and II.....they played better.
I don’t know much about fixing tables...but I know a lot about how they play.

However, disagree or not, maybe next time for rubber, I’ll call you..

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Seems like you aren’t completely disagreeing with me.
GC111 gave us some bad rubber....I had a friend buy 10 GCIIIs for his room....
...needed rubber in two years...they played like the cheap rubber I could buy for 25% of
the price of Superspeed.
I feel Brunswick was putting their label on that cheap rubber.

The rubber has gotten better....but it is not the quality of that old rubber.
...haven’t played on a 5 or a 6...but it was pointed out to me by a great player that the IVs
had some dead spots in the rails after about three years in a busy room.

I have played a lot of pool on Anniversaries and GCI and II.....they played better.
I don’t know much about fixing tables...but I know a lot about how they play.

However, disagree or not, maybe next time for rubber, I’ll call you..

I like your response. I know the brunswick rubber had issues over the years, but, I am confident in the quality that they are making currently.

Were the tables covered? Sun is no good for cloth or cushions. Was there a heater vent blowing directly down on the table? Too dry in the room: aka to low of humidity? There are many factors that could come into play for cushions to go bad.

At the end of the day most of the time its stuff like above or the person working on the tables. <<<---most likely this lol. Not saying I am perfect, but, I will say I work really, really hard at what I do and Id not have people calling me to tell me that their table plays bad. I also play pool and understand how a table should play! :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo