butterfly case? Maybe a Fellini style?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Years ago when I needed a case I was working on cues and might leave the hall with a cue or two or a few shafts I didn't come with. As a result I got a heavy leather three by six.

Ain't working on cues, that case weighs more than Aunt Sally, and people tend to get the wrong impression of this poor ol' blind cripple country boy when I go in a place I ain't known toting that case.

So I am in need of a moderately well padded case or one that seals well. I am more concerned with temperature changes and minor dings and dents. Not planning to run over the case with a truck or hurl it from a twenty story balcony.
I want something fairly discrete that gives decent protection, a butterfly soft case maybe or perhaps a Fellini style with a small pouch on the strap to carry chalk and a few small items.

This is a second case, not luggage. I am cool with vinyl but probably lean towards heavy cloth. and fairly heavy padding. A given that I don't want to pay a bunch for this case, the whole idea is to be a bit more discrete. Under a hundred, a bit over, wouldn't cry if the case was fifty or seventy-five.

Suggestions? I generally buy new but for this case I may even shop it around in the wanted section. Somebody have something please PM me, not trying use the main forum for buying and selling, just clueless about cases in the last six or eight years.

Anybody that has used a butterfly case or is still using one might chime in, love it, hate it, any dislikes common to all of them.

Thanks for any and all assistance!
Hu

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had both the predator 3 x 4 and 4 x 8 hated both! They both had plenty room can squeeze extra shafts in both and Cary a but load of stuff. And you end up with a but laid of stuff! They take up table space when you go out.or you have to carry cue holders and you have to get the stuff you might need cuz you stashed it under the pool table. Ends up being a hassle. Trying to go light I’d go for the its George style of case as long as you don’t carry a jump cue. The I’d say get a J.B. case.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I bought this Molinari butterfly. It's great, very nice looking and functional. They have different sizes and looks, I got the 2X4 with black and gray, $165. Very compact and light but it holds everything for 2 cues and a jump cue easily. I bought this for going to pool rooms where I don't want to take my expensive cases. I have a Justis, a John Barton Mason and a new Becue leather. If you want an upgrade, the Becue Leather is absolutely the bomb, super soft Italian leather and design, spacious butterfly. I recommend leather or synthetic for looks and ease of keeping clean, especially with the germs going around.

https://www.billiards.com/cases/mol...DYcJGdQ1QuLQB8GMVfpROnJaaiZQ-HkBoC1AIQAvD_BwE

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• Cases 1.jpg
    Cases 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 396
  • cases2.jpg
    cases2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes, all you want is a cool, classic looking case.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 285

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank You All, Still Looking

A reminder, I am trying to downsize from my three by five or six. I like the case with the inside pockets if it can be had in a fairly small size. I'm also tempted by the simple elegance of the case Lou posted. I have to wonder how often I would drop a case without much to hold on to or that may be a total nonissue, never had one of those cases.

Anyway, all options being considered if the case is available in a two by four or smaller configuration.

Maniac, unfortunately my cues do run long. I had to take my joint protector off of my butt because it is thirty inches plus bumper. My shafts all run thirty inches.

Doesn't seem like cases offered so far would fill the bill. A shame because I would have great confidence dealing with the people making offers.

What brand is that with the inside pockets? I might chase one of them if I could get it in a pretty small size.

I am not in any rush. While I would happily buy used if I buy new I will probably wait on the stimulus money and add a nice set of balls, maybe cushions. Need a rack too, maybe give the magic rack style things a try.

Figure if I am going to stimulate the economy, I might as well stimulate the pool economy! On the other hand, I have other wants too. Guess I'll decide spending when I get the cash in hand. A case regardless though, haven't locked in on what yet. Definitely small and light, my big case has all I want to tote covered.

Hu

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Maniac, unfortunately my cues do run long. I had to take my joint protector off of my butt because it is thirty inches plus bumper. My shafts all run thirty inches.
Hu

Mine too. It's why I have no need for the Sterling butterfly case anymore.

Maniac

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to a butterfly case a long time a go. My Justis went into the closet and never came out. I like that it’s a lot lighter and honestly when I stoped playing with customs I wasn’t as worried about damage and have had no issue. Hell I even checked it in for a flight to Vegas lol

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A reminder, I am trying to downsize from my three by five or six. I like the case with the inside pockets if it can be had in a fairly small size. I'm also tempted by the simple elegance of the case Lou posted. I have to wonder how often I would drop a case without much to hold on to or that may be a total nonissue, never had one of those cases.

Anyway, all options being considered if the case is available in a two by four or smaller configuration.

Doesn't seem like cases offered so far would fill the bill. A shame because I would have great confidence dealing with the people making offers.

What brand is that with the inside pockets? I might chase one of them if I could get it in a pretty small size.

I am not in any rush. While I would happily buy used if I buy new I will probably wait on the stimulus money and add a nice set of balls, maybe cushions. Need a rack too, maybe give the magic rack style things a try.

Figure if I am going to stimulate the economy, I might as well stimulate the pool economy! On the other hand, I have other wants too. Guess I'll decide spending when I get the cash in hand. A case regardless though, haven't locked in on what yet. Definitely small and light, my big case has all I want to tote covered.

Hu

I would call John Barton. His cases are great and will do whatever you want.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought the Becue butterfly case on this thread and it is exactly what I have been looking for. Interior is soft, shafts not exposed like on some past cases I have owned, leather soft, and plenty of pocket space. Can't wait until I can take this case to the pool room.