Starting over, getting better, and playing with glasses

MANPUSS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
\
Have you considered contact lenses? They made a world of difference for me. Not only in pool, but in many other aspects of life too...

what is stupid is i can get them in its just hard to gett out , ive heard the easy part is getting then out lol . i tried til i irritated my eyes . if i could get the hang of it i would
and one eye is worse then other . lol

think im gonna give it another go here soon . i just cant pinch it to get out ,im claustophobic with something on my face , my glasses were nice i just dont like em

and i need to find another eye doctor he would give contacts til i proved i could put in and take out .

where do you buy your lens ??? .

Last edited:

sifu

Registered
Try get basics right.
maybe ditch object ball for 5-15 min for warm up stroke. Focus one thing specifically. maybe 10-15 min per thing, then switch. Other aspects are there but they not matter.. like making a ball etc..
Little starter list for basics that can be focused one at time.
- staying still after stroke
- following thru ball
- slow backswing
- head placement
- shot speed
- spin at cueball
- loosey goosey grip
- bridge hand placement! more important than many know. many flaws come from here.
and so on...

Example ..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTCmF7EcN-M
Here is my (Finnish) program to students that need to improve stroke mechanics. This is for staying still emphasis.. Basically i only showed this one to my little sister. She improved really fast after doing this(with other stuff) and was elected to European Champ team member later same year(after 25 year no playing) There is actually little more repetition and scoring system involved so one can see improvement from averages..

Thank you. I like some of the drills in that video and will probably incorporate them. I didn't understand a word of the Finnish, lol, but I watched.
I've never had a pre-shot/approach routine. I have made one up from suggestions and I have been trying to make it a habit on every shot when I do drills. Trying to treat every shot with purpose like it's a league shot.

sifu

Registered
Have you considered contact lenses? They made a world of difference for me. Not only in pool, but in many other aspects of life too...

Thank you for the suggestion. I can't even put drops in my eyes. I involuntarily flinch every time before the drop makes it into my eye. I doubt I could put a contact in or take one out.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went through the eyesight problem around the first of the year. While my eyesight isn't terrible I'm right eye dominant and my left eye has better vision so I thought it may be messing with my vision center. I decided to go with contacts. I have Priority Health Medicare and they paid the full cost of my contacts, I had to pay some of the exam.
My eyes are sensitive also but I think a lot of it was in my head. It took me a couple months to get comfortable putting them in and taking them out. One thing that helped me taking them out was wetting my fingers with the contact solution. The eye doctors say to do it with dry hands but wetting my fingers makes it much less irritating to my eyes as it doesn't feel like my fingers are scraping my eyeballs when they are wet.
Overall I like the contacts much better than glasses. I still wear prescription glasses/sunglasses when fishing and it seems like they are always dirty and smeared.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I quit pool for quite a few years and when I started back I was wearing glasses for the first time in my life. I had perfect vision up until around 50.

When I tried to play pool with glasses, I found it to be such a pain in the ass that I quit for a while again and then went to get contacts made specifically for pool shooting distance.

They were uncomfortable for a while, until I got used to them, but they were what got me back into pool. I only wore them for playing pool on Sundays, like a little old lady only drives her car to church on Sundays. They were 1000 times better than wearing glasses. With glasses, I always had to cramp my neck bending in a weird position to keep from looking through or over the frames.

I have astigmatism in both eyes so the contacts were not perfect, but they were the best I could do with my eyes.

In December, I had a cataract removed from my right eye and it is back to 20/20.

Two weeks ago, I had the cataract from my left eye removed and I'm 20/20 in that eye now, too.

I can't wait to play some pool and see how much better I can "see".

My doctor told me that he turned my eye "from hamburger back into the cow".

Last edited: