APA charging twice?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went to my second night of APA leagues. People did not come due to threat of Covid-19 again. Anywho I was asked to play 2 people. And because I played 2 people I had to pay twice. 8 dollars each time for a total of 16 dollars. Not sure if I like this. I probably will not offer to play twice if I can help it.

Is this a normal thing that occurs if someone is absent and they need someone else to fill in the gap? What about VNEA or ABA do they do similar?

Thanks

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you didn't pay, the captain would have to pay. At least you played. In normal times, the team also has to pay when there's a forfeit, too but I heard that's suspended.

I had a team at one point that gave the captain all the dues for the season up front (have to trust your captain) and he paid every week. That was a lot simpler and fair because he was getting hit with a lot of forfeits (he'd repay himself when we had a good season and got some $$). It also helps encourage turnout because the marginal fee for playing an additional week is $0. And it makes situations like yours more equitable.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way my team does this is that the 2nd game is split between all the players. That way one player doesn't get stuck with the extra match fee.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An extra $8 is hard to come by for a lot of folks. On my 1st team
we had a guy that wouldn't show up if it was gonna cut into his beer money.
On my way home I could stop in our local honky-tonk and there he'd be,
grinnin' like a butchers dog.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you didn't pay, the captain would have to pay. At least you played. In normal times, the team also has to pay when there's a forfeit, too but I heard that's suspended.

I had a team at one point that gave the captain all the dues for the season up front (have to trust your captain) and he paid every week. That was a lot simpler and fair because he was getting hit with a lot of forfeits (he'd repay himself when we had a good season and got some $$). It also helps encourage turnout because the marginal fee for playing an additional week is $0. And it makes situations like yours more equitable.

So can you explain how it works to pay for a forfeit? Like how much money does each person have to pay?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
What about VNEA or ABA do they do similar?

Thanks

The following is only my observations, so they may be inaccurate.

VNEA you pay each week plus split table fee. For instance, say your league is set for five man teams. You would pay $20, play five games, one game against each player on opposing team and split the table fee with the your opponent. Total $22.50. A little more money, but you play five games throughout the evening.

Your team might also have separate pools you could enter within the team itself, like winning five games in one night. These are optional unsanctioned side bets.

VNEA is sponsored by and played on Valley Pool Tables. Equipment may not be up to your liking and some rules are different, such as call pocket, no coaching, etc.

I hope that is close to the truth.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Not your fault if your teammates don't show but you can let them make up their own matches.

So I went to my second night of APA leagues. People did not come due to threat of Covid-19 again. Anywho I was asked to play 2 people. And because I played 2 people I had to pay twice. 8 dollars each time for a total of 16 dollars. Not sure if I like this. I probably will not offer to play twice if I can help it.

Is this a normal thing that occurs if someone is absent and they need someone else to fill in the gap? What about VNEA or ABA do they do similar?

Thanks

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a sore subject with me. The saying...deadbeat pool players rings true. Being the captain of 3 teams i dont even want to take a guess on how much i spent over the years on replays and forfeits. Every one has the attitude that they are not paying for matches they disnt play or paying for a second match because the opposing captain chose them to replay.

I am talking about double jeapordy where we olay both 8 and 9 ball. I have on occasion had to pay for 2 replays and 2 forfeits plus my 2 matches all in one night.

Thankfully the lo' s have been taking pretty good care of me the last couple years and have offset money that i have spent but i am still way in the hole .

ugotactionTX

I'm in dead rack!
Silver Member
Maybe its just me but if I was worried about spending another 8 dollars I'd just stay home in the first place. Probably need to concentrate on other things if 8 bucks set's you back like that.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So can you explain how it works to pay for a forfeit? Like how much money does each person have to pay?

The APA doesn't charge by the game. They have a weekly team fee that each team in the league must pay (as a team). The fee (at least around here) is $40 dollars per team to participate. Usually that works well that each player who plays contributes 8 dollars for the game they play. So 5 games add up to the $40 dollar weekly fee that is due.

ultimately its up the team / captain on how to pay that $40 fee. 95% of the teams just have the 5 players pay 8 dollars, however some teams have all 8 players pay $5 dollars even if they don't play (hopefully the captain is fair about how many games each person plays).

So it wasn't the APA that was double charging you, it was your team that double charged you (which is how almost all teams operate).

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
There is no right or wrong way to do it. It is completely up to the team captain how the fees get paid.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's fukced up.

With the coin shortage, that means we are burning through them twice as quickly as initially thought.

This is of grave concern.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member

Thanks

VNEA around here is pay once at the beginning of the season.. many sponsors cover this..

After that it's $1.50 every other game and ¢.75 each for the last game.. in quarters for coin op tables.