Earl Strickland's farewell speech to Efren Reyes

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I’ve seen Earl at his best and at his worst. At the end of the day he was a great player and was good for the game.

Ditto. Earl's an anomaly. His competitive resume speaks for itself, and he's indisputably one of the best ever.

His tendency to show insufficient respect for opponents, tournament officials, event producers, and fans is surprising to me, because Earl has so much respect for pool itself. Another thing I always liked about Earl was that he never entered the tournament room without being well dressed, even if he had already been eliminated.

Call him what you want, but at bare minimum, call him unforgettable.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
The old crowd loves Earl. He represents that 60+ crowd in pool, like Keith McCready, and some other "legends" that have unsavory character. He nearly got in several fist fights in matches - Darryl Peach at Mosconi, Tony Drago, Ralf Souquet. He belittled Kaci after getting beat by him, and he couldn't stop yipping off at Landon Shuffett while he was getting pummeled on the 10 foot. The list is miles long.

I am sorry I have offended your delicate senses. One can be honest, without being a jackass, The fact that you can even equate what I wrote, to Earl's antics....you're part of the problem.

But....don't worry about it. As of this morning, I decided that pool and I are breaking up. All cues are going up for sale, as well as my cue repair and cuemaking machinery. I'm out. Too many toolbags, too little time to put up with them.

Thanks for being the nail in the coffin, and helping me come to this final decision. All the best, guys.

1. I'm part of what problem? Yours for being one dimensional?
2. This thread and my input has been the final straw for you to change your life?
3. You need some help buddy.
4. A nice exit thou .... "All the best guys"
5. So, since you're totally done I don't expect a response. If you do respond then we all know you are full of sh*t.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/COLOR]

2. This thread and my input has been the final straw for you to change your life?
5. So, since you're totally done I don't expect a response. If you do respond then we all know you are full of sh*t.

Listen here buddy, you're not gonna have Shawn Armstrong to kick around anymore.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ditto. Earl's an anomaly. His competitive resume speaks for itself, and he's indisputably one of the best ever.

His tendency to show insufficient respect for opponents, tournament officials, event producers, and fans is surprising to me, because Earl has so much respect for pool itself. Another thing I always liked about Earl was that he never entered the tournament room without being well dressed, even if he had already been eliminated.

Call him what you want, but at bare minimum, call him unforgettable.

more good points
earl clearly loves and respects the game itself very much
part of why he's often so much a curmudgeon
probably stems from pool not being more respected, as a whole
it's also been pointed out before that he might not have a tight rack upstairs
if he had some underlying medical issue, it wouldn't surprise me

I think folks should be held responsible for their actions
but I also think we as people should try to understand and have compassion for one other
earl included:D

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm sure it will return one day!

PoolBum....could you send me a PM?
C46E325E-9E8F-4AB7-A2E1-3742D96F33BA.jpeg

:)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Sorry, Earl’s a toolbag, and probably one of the handful of reasons there isn’t a reputable pro tour. I lost every shred of respect for the man after he beat Bustamante at the World 9b Championships. Francisco’s daughter had passed away days before the final. After Earl won, he jumped up on the table, and said “I’m the king of the world”. Then he got down, and walked over to say “good game”, and that was it.

I’d have figured that a guy who professes to love the game of pool so much, would at least extend a hand to his fellow competitor who had suffered such a massive loss. Nope. He chose to be a douche, per his usual.

I, for one, can hardly wait until he’s gone from pool. Great pool player, deplorable human being. The game needs more Alexs and Efrens. We will never need another Earl.

And nobody will ever miss you

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The old crowd loves Earl. He represents that 60+ crowd in pool, like Keith McCready, and some other "legends" that have unsavory character. He nearly got in several fist fights in matches - Darryl Peach at Mosconi, Tony Drago, Ralf Souquet. He belittled Kaci after getting beat by him, and he couldn't stop yipping off at Landon Shuffett while he was getting pummeled on the 10 foot. The list is miles long.

I am sorry I have offended your delicate senses. One can be honest, without being a jackass, The fact that you can even equate what I wrote, to Earl's antics....you're part of the problem.

But....don't worry about it. As of this morning, I decided that pool and I are breaking up. All cues are going up for sale, as well as my cue repair and cuemaking machinery. I'm out. Too many toolbags, too little time to put up with them.

Thanks for being the nail in the coffin, and helping me come to this final decision. All the best, guys.

bye, Felicia

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm not sure why anyone would expect Earl to suddenly be thoughtful and eloquent.

He probably has a decent heart but like many people he clearly struggles with a few stability related issues. I doubt he knows most of the things he should probably have included in his speech, but again why would anyone have expected that?

Earl is one of the best pool players. I always found some of his behavior difficult to watch but I probably have a lot less affinity for drama than most people.

It's funny how we expect someone who excels at some skill or sport or even profession to automatically be a good public speaker. Earl did as well as an Earl can do.

Sent from the future.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank God

Send me a price list "player".

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/COLOR]

Can you say attention whore?
Bye Felicia.