A family of drills based on running racks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my July and August columns in Billiards Digest I describe a family of drills that has several features:

1. For any level of student, there is a drill that is both challenging and allows a runout.
  2. The drills are similar to normal games.
  3. The student will be making a large majority of the shots.
  4. Every time through a rack will be different.
  5. There are lots of opportunities for the student to think about patterns and strategy.
It's a challenge to make a game where even a beginner is able to run out. At the high end of the ability spectrum, familiar games are used but with some wrinkles. Here are the several "knobs" that adjusted to get various difficulties:

The number of balls in the rack is varied from six to 15.
The player may get a free second break to loosen up clusters.
The pocketing requirements are varied from the absolute minimum to 15-ball rotation (numerical order) with eight ball rules or color-pairs as other possible requirements.
The player gets a number of ball-in-hands, at least on the first shot after the break and maybe some others. This is pretty much required for beginners to successfully get through a rack.

While not endless, the number of variations is large. Here is a reduced set that Dr. Dave and I picked out with roughly equal steps in required ability between them. The break is free but only one break for these. Pocketed balls stay down. Ball in hand after the break. The goal is to run the rack.

1. 6 balls with no cue ball on the table after the break. The shooter just shoots the object balls directly into the pockets. Yes, there are players who will have difficulty running a rack of this.
  2. 6 balls in any order with ball in hand on each shot.
  3. 6 balls in any order with ball in hand after each two shots
  4. 6 balls, BIH every three shots (one BIH in the middle of the rack)
  5. 6 balls in any order, no BIH
  6. 6 balls + the 8 (3 stripes, 3 solids, six ball rack with one ball in back) pocket a group and then the 8
  7. 9 balls in any order
  8. 9 balls with 8 ball rules (4 stripes, 4 solids, +8)
  9. 15 balls in any order, BIH each 5 shots
  10. 6 balls in rotation
  11. 15 balls in any order, no BIH
  12. 15 balls, normal 8 ball
  13. 9 balls, like 8 ball but shoot the other group at the end in order (like Hopkins' Q-Skill game)
  14. 9 balls, normal 9 ball rules
  15. 15 balls, 8 ball rules but the other group in order
  16. 15 balls in rotation

The articles in Billiards Digest have some other variations that I think are interesting but probably not needed to get enough levels to satisfy everyone.

If you try these, let me know if the steps seem to be right order -- increasing in difficulty. If you have a beginner that you are starting to teach, let me know how the first three levels work for them.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great work, Bob!

I spent some time running through all the system levels and I thought they were equally spaced fairly well. I thought the biggest jump in difficulty was from "9 balls with 8 ball rules (4 stripes, 4 solids, +8)" to "6 balls in rotation," but I can't think of anything to add between those (other than maybe "4 balls in rotation," which isn't ideal since everything else is 6, 9, or 15 balls). My other observation is that the last two levels are tough, especially the last one, as they should be.

This was fun to practice. It didn't seem tedious like regular "dirlls" but I I thought I got a lot of good practice in. I really like that the system involves elements of 8-ball, 9-ball, and straight pool at many different levels of difficulty.

Thanks,
Dave

In my July and August columns in Billiards Digest I describe a family of drills that has several features:

1. For any level of student, there is a drill that is both challenging and allows a runout.
  5. There are lots of opportunities for the student to think about patterns and strategy.
It's a challenge to make a game where even a beginner is able to run out. At the high end of the ability spectrum, familiar games are used but with some wrinkles. Here are the several "knobs" that adjusted to get various difficulties:

The pocketing requirements are varied from the absolute minimum to 15-ball rotation (numerical order) with eight ball rules or color-pairs as other possible requirements.
The player gets a number of ball-in-hands, at least on the first shot after the break and maybe some others. This is pretty much required for beginners to successfully get through a rack.

While not endless, the number of variations is large. Here is a reduced set that Dr. Dave and I picked out with roughly equal steps in required ability between them. The break is free but only one break for these. Pocketed balls stay down. Ball in hand after the break. The goal is to run the rack.

1. 6 balls with no cue ball on the table after the break. The shooter just shoots the object balls directly into the pockets. Yes, there are players who will have difficulty running a rack of this.
  6. 6 balls + the 8 (3 stripes, 3 solids, six ball rack with one ball in back) pocket a group and then the 8
  7. 9 balls in any order
  9. 6 balls in rotation
  10. 15 balls in any order, BIH each 5 shots
  13. 9 balls, like 8 ball but shoot the other group at the end in order (like Hopkins' Q-Skill game)
  16. 15 balls in rotation

The articles in Billiards Digest have some other variations that I think are interesting but probably not needed to get enough levels to satisfy everyone.

If you try these, let me know if the steps seem to be right order -- increasing in difficulty. If you have a beginner that you are starting to teach, let me know how the first three levels work for them.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought the biggest jump in difficulty was from "9 balls with 8 ball rules (4 stripes, 4 solids, +8)" to "6 balls in rotation," but I can't think of anything to add between those (other than maybe "4 balls in rotation," which isn't ideal since everything else is 6, 9, or 15 balls).
"6 balls in rotation, with BIH after 3 shots" is another possible option, but then you'd probably want to do the "6 balls in rotation" next, which is maybe unnecessary.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
"6 balls in rotation, with BIH after 3 shots" is another possible option, but then you'd probably want to do the "6 balls in rotation" next, which is maybe unnecessary.
I like that there are 16 levels, one for each ball (1-15 and the CB).

Regards,
Dave

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite "drill" is equal offense. It's better than the drills with balls spotted on the table because every rack is different and in order to get the maximum 20 you have to execute a 14.1 break shot and run another 5 balls.

To add defense to the drill if you miss a shot you kick at each of the remaining balls. A successful multiple rail kick removes a ball from the table.

Simple but effective.

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I like this, but I don't understand the first one. No cue ball on the table after the break??

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've tried to assign ABCD player ratings to the different levels. Do you guys have any input or suggestions concerning these?

1. 6 balls, pocket OBs directly with no CB – lower novice (N-)
2. 6 balls, BIH on each shot – mid novice (N)
3. 6 balls, BIH after each 2 shots – upper novice (N+)
4. 6 balls, BIH after each 3 shots – lower beginner (D-)
5. 6 balls, any order – mid beginner (D).
6. 6 balls+8 (3 solids, 3 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules – upper beginner (D+)
7. 9 balls, any order – lower intermediate (C-)
8. 9 balls (4 solids, 4 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules – mid intermediate (C)
9. 15 balls, in groups of 5, BIH after each group – upper intermediate (C+)
10. 6 balls, in order – lower advanced (B-)
11. 15 balls, any order – mid advanced (B)
12. 15 balls, 8-ball rules – upper advanced (B+)
13. 9 balls (4 solids, 4 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules, then remaining balls in order – expert tournament player (A-)
14. 9 balls, 9-ball rules – master semi pro (A)
15. 15 balls, 8-ball rules, then remaining balls in order – touring pro (A+/AA)
16. 15 balls, in order – world class pro (A++/AAA)

I look forward to your input,
Dave

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

1. I like this, but I don't understand the first one. No cue ball on the table after the break??

1. Yes. The shooter just strokes at the object balls with their cue stick and sends the object balls into pockets without the cue ball being involved. I suppose the cue ball could be left on the table as an obstacle but it is not directly involved in any shot but the break shot.

The point is for the shooter to begin to develop a smooth stroke from nothing. At the same time they are learning where the pockets are. One-ball drills have been standard training fare for decades. At snooker, it is the over-the-spots drill -- shoot the cue ball up and down the center of the table as exactly as possible. I think Tor Lowry has a long-term exercise where the ball is shot directly into the pocket repeatedly. This allows you to concentrate on your basic mechanics.

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. The shooter just strokes at the object balls with their cue stick and sends the object balls into pockets without the cue ball being involved. I suppose the cue ball could be left on the table as an obstacle but it is not directly involved in any shot but the break shot.

The point is for the shooter to begin to develop a smooth stroke from nothing. At the same time they are learning where the pockets are. One-ball drills have been standard training fare for decades. At snooker, it is the over-the-spots drill -- shoot the cue ball up and down the center of the table as exactly as possible. I think Tor Lowry has a long-term exercise where the ball is shot directly into the pocket repeatedly. This allows you to concentrate on your basic mechanics.

Ahhhh. Thanks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ahhhh. Thanks.
And while it may seem to everyone here that any breathing person could run out a rack like #1, there are in fact people who want to learn to play pool for whom #1 is a challenge. A common example would be a small, young person who has trouble seeing over the rail, but there are also adults at that level. Figuratively speaking.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

7. 9 balls in any order
  9. 6 balls in rotation
  10. 15 balls in any order, BIH each 5 shots
  16. 15 balls in rotation

Cool idea. One great thing to add is a scoring system for each to measure progress. I used to like practicing "bowling" with 10 balls, BIH after break any order, scoring like bowling. All 10 balls no miss. Strike. All 10 balls 1 miss spare. # of balls until you miss second time.

I added variants to that when any order became too simple, last 3 in order, last 4, etc... At 10 its just playing the ghost but even when I was really good I was not awesome at 10 ball ghost.

In your list, I am thinking I might reverse these two:

[*]6 balls in rotation
[*]15 balls in any order, BIH each 5 shots

6 ball runs are the point I think where it becomes much more tricky. 3 segments of 5 starting with ball in hand seems easier, though maybe breaking up problem balls makes it harder than the 6

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool idea. One great thing to add is a scoring system for each to measure progress. I used to like practicing "bowling" with 10 balls, BIH after break any order, scoring like bowling. All 10 balls no miss. Strike. All 10 balls 1 miss spare. # of balls until you miss second time.

I added variants to that when any order became too simple, last 3 in order, last 4, etc... At 10 its just playing the ghost but even when I was really good I was not awesome at 10 ball ghost.

[*]6 balls in rotation

6 ball runs are the point I think where it becomes much more tricky. 3 segments of 5 starting with ball in hand seems easier, though maybe breaking up problem balls makes it harder than the 6
I think you're right about those two levels. I have switched them in the basenote.

As far as scoring goes, I think partial scores don't make sense for some of them, so I would just go by completed racks. That puts a little more pressure on the shooter as the goal is harder. It's also more like real game situations.

The real score is how high a level you can run out a fair percentage of the time.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

[*]6 balls in rotation
6 ball runs are the point I think where it becomes much more tricky. 3 segments of 5 starting with ball in hand seems easier
That was my experience as well when I ran through the levels at the table. FYI, I also switched the order in my ratings post below:

I've tried to assign ABCD player ratings to the different levels. Do you guys have any input or suggestions concerning these?

1. 6 balls, pocket OBs directly with no CB – never played (N-)
2. 6 balls, BIH on each shot – lower novice (N)
3. 6 balls, BIH after each 2 shots – mid novice (N+)
4. 6 balls, BIH after each 3 shots – upper novice (D-)
5. 6 balls, any order – lower beginner (D).
6. 6 balls+8 (3 solids, 3 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules – mid beginner (D+)
7. 9 balls, any order – upper beginner (C-)
8. 9 balls (4 solids, 4 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules – upper intermediate (B-)
9. 15 balls, in groups of 5, BIH after each group – lower intermediate (C)
10. 6 balls, in order – mid intermediate (C+)
11. 15 balls, any order – lower advanced (B)
12. 15 balls, 8-ball rules – upper advanced (B+)
13. 9 balls (4 solids, 4 stripes, 8), 8-ball rules, then remaining balls in order – expert tournament player (A-)
14. 9 balls, 9-ball rules – master semi pro (A)
15. 15 balls, 8-ball rules, then remaining balls in order – touring pro (A+/AA)
16. 15 balls, in order – world class pro (A++/AAA)

I look forward to your input,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool idea. One great thing to add is a scoring system for each to measure progress.
I think partial scores don't make sense for some of them, so I would just go by completed racks. That puts a little more pressure on the shooter as the goal is harder. It's also more like real game situations.

The real score is how high a level you can run out a fair percentage of the time.
I like the idea of doing it "Bob Jewett Progressive Practice" style, where you start at the level at which you finished in your previous session. If you run 2 out of 3 racks at the current level, advance to the next. If you run 1 out of 3, stay at the current level. And if you run 0 out of 3, go back to the previous level. If you do this over a long practice session, you will have a pretty good idea of where you stand. And if you record your ending levels over time, you will be able to easily monitor improvement.

FYI, I plan to use this system as "Billiard University (BU) Exam IV." It will nicely complement the existing BU Exams I through III. In fact, I am currently working on a YouTube video covering everything. I will also create a document containing illustrations of all the racks with a concise summary of all the rules. I'll let you guys know when it is ready. I should have everything done within a day or two.

Regards,
Dave

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just thinking where would you rate a variation of 15 balls any order where you needed to run 14 and then leave a viable break shot? It's WAY harder than just 15 balls in any order, but less difficult than some of the rotation games at the top of the list

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just thinking where would you rate a variation of 15 balls any order where you needed to run 14 and then leave a viable break shot? It's WAY harder than just 15 balls in any order, but less difficult than some of the rotation games at the top of the list

That would essentially be Equal Offense assuming you required getting into the next rack to prove viability. I would say it's easier than the nine ball ghost which is 14 on the list.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would essentially be Equal Offense assuming you required getting into the next rack to prove viability. I would say it's easier than the nine ball ghost which is 14 on the list.

Makes sense. Wish I had table access to go through the list.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. If you can do well with level 14 (9-ball runout), leaving, getting shape on, and pocketing a break ball in straight pool should be fairly routine.

Regards,
Dave

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. If you can do well with level 14 (9-ball runout), leaving, getting shape on, and pocketing a break ball in straight pool should be fairly routine.

Regards,
Dave

I want to agree but I have just been thinking back to when I could play a little (that time is not recent) and back then I could consistently beat the 9 ball ghost (I even used to gamble on it sometimes) so 6,7,8 pretty routinely. Out of 10 though though I am not certain I would consistently get 6, 7 or 8 on 14.1. Maybe. I used to primarily play straight pool and would just measure runs never in this way. I think with no problems, the 14.1 would be easier but after an open break it's pretty easy to wind up with several issues in running all 14 and having a good break shot.

Love the entire concept though, seems to be an awesome way to practice and develop skills in all games.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I want to agree but I have just been thinking back to when I could play a little (that time is not recent) and back then I could consistently beat the 9 ball ghost (I even used to gamble on it sometimes) so 6,7,8 pretty routinely. Out of 10 though though I am not certain I would consistently get 6, 7 or 8 on 14.1. Maybe. I used to primarily play straight pool and would just measure runs never in this way. I think with no problems, the 14.1 would be easier but after an open break it's pretty easy to wind up with several issues in running all 14 and having a good break shot.
I defer to Bob on this since he has so much more straight pool experience than I do.

Regardless, success at many of these levels will definitely depend on the person and their strengths.

Love the entire concept though, seems to be an awesome way to practice and develop skills in all games.
Me too. I think it is great. 8-ball, 9-ball, and straight pool practice in a fun and challenging format suitable for players of all levels. What's not to like. It doesn't test safety play, but I guess you can't expect to do everything in a single drill format.

Regards,
Dave