Heads Up

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Smorg and I are going back home to New Orleans. I got laid off from my job 3 Mondays ago. After a night of feeling sorry for myself, and crying it out of my system. I pulled the shade down and realizing it's time to act. Loosing my job and the fear of not having my Doug, my support to advise me what to do was another major turning point in my life in such a short time.
The first thing I realized I need to keep my money coming in for bills. I did the whole unemployment thing. I realized all the things Doug and I had for sale from the Flea shop I could sell. His own collection of Zippo lighters came to mind so I started with them. I listed them on Craigs list. A nice man from Illinois purchased them all from me. So now I have our collection of vintage books, collectible toys, Dougs clothes and the like on line for sale. One of our most loved and respected AZB members purchased all yhe clothes from me to donate to a charity. What a wonderful and feeling person this is. Once this was done, I had a bit of a comfort level and came back to the reality It's not worth staying here any more. My mom is getting up in age and I have a brother with CP and I should go back before it becomes a must do situation. So I have decided to do this. My lease is up in Feb. so I have that long if I need it, but am trying to do as much as I can as fast as I can, then I will talk to the office about releasing me early and just go home. I feel Doug guiding me home.
I have a pretty good grasp on things so far. I would like to know if anyone has opinions or experiences for moving my things. It all seems to be costly, PODs, U-Haul, Vans.....overwhelming. Am I missing any other options? Doug told me to downsize and just bring what I need and want to limit the size of whatever. Some things can be replaced at a later time. Doug was thinking before he left us. He tried to cover as much as he could with me. He had foresight and just plain ole lifes experiences to draw from. So my family is heading home. Our cat Midnight Imposter, Bird Don King (its all about the hair) and Sonny my Betta. I named Sonny after my friend Sonny who is 90 years old and is retired Ringling Brothers B & B and other world famous circus companies. Doug and I knew him from our flea market days. I'm going to miss him terribly but he is in good hands. He has soooo many people who care and love him. That would be a story in itself for another time.
Sorry I am so long winded, but I wanted everyone to know what I am facing these days. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Hugs to all of you.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barbara, I empathize with your plight. It's always tough accepting change. As we get older, we become set in our ways and comfortable with the way things are, and when change raises its ugly head, it's kind of scary moving towards the unknown.

With that said, I envy you. I'm stuck in the same damn town I was born in, never left. It has its advantages, like knowing all the shortcuts, back roads during traffic jams, and closest Starbucks. :wink:

Just imagine moving back to N'Orleans, how much fun you're going to have exploring new hangouts, not to mention the ambrosial Southern cuisine. You know, to this day, I've never eaten a crawfish. :(

Wherever you end up, everything is going to be in place. There will be no clutter, like my house, with the basement filled up with -- I don't even know anymore, and then there's my attic. I haven't been up there for 15 years because I hear movement up there late at night. :eek:

Change is good, Barbara. I think this is going to be good timing for you, to start things anew. Time to drop the Buccaneers and start rooting for those Saints! :grin-square:

For an easy one-day read, check out this big-print book, one that can be read in a day, for how to embrace change and make it work for you. It's an oldie but goody: "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Attachments

• 51pF-sW0-gL._SS500_[1].jpg
    51pF-sW0-gL._SS500_[1].jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 476

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Barbara

If you need any help moving anything, let me know. I can donate my time and my ability to move large objects with ease and precision. If you need anything, just let me know and I'll be there when called.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Change

Smorg and I are going back home to New Orleans. I got laid off from my job 3 Mondays ago. After a night of feeling sorry for myself, and crying it out of my system. I pulled the shade down and realizing it's time to act. Loosing my job and the fear of not having my Doug, my support to advise me what to do was another major turning point in my life in such a short time.
The first thing I realized I need to keep my money coming in for bills. I did the whole unemployment thing. I realized all the things Doug and I had for sale from the Flea shop I could sell. His own collection of Zippo lighters came to mind so I started with them. I listed them on Craigs list. A nice man from Illinois purchased them all from me. So now I have our collection of vintage books, collectible toys, Dougs clothes and the like on line for sale. One of our most loved and respected AZB members purchased all yhe clothes from me to donate to a charity. What a wonderful and feeling person this is. Once this was done, I had a bit of a comfort level and came back to the reality It's not worth staying here any more. My mom is getting up in age and I have a brother with CP and I should go back before it becomes a must do situation. So I have decided to do this. My lease is up in Feb. so I have that long if I need it, but am trying to do as much as I can as fast as I can, then I will talk to the office about releasing me early and just go home. I feel Doug guiding me home.
I have a pretty good grasp on things so far. I would like to know if anyone has opinions or experiences for moving my things. It all seems to be costly, PODs, U-Haul, Vans.....overwhelming. Am I missing any other options? Doug told me to downsize and just bring what I need and want to limit the size of whatever. Some things can be replaced at a later time. Doug was thinking before he left us. He tried to cover as much as he could with me. He had foresight and just plain ole lifes experiences to draw from. So my family is heading home. Our cat Midnight Imposter, Bird Don King (its all about the hair) and Sonny my Betta. I named Sonny after my friend Sonny who is 90 years old and is retired Ringling Brothers B & B and other world famous circus companies. Doug and I knew him from our flea market days. I'm going to miss him terribly but he is in good hands. He has soooo many people who care and love him. That would be a story in itself for another time.
Sorry I am so long winded, but I wanted everyone to know what I am facing these days. Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Hugs to all of you.

Barbara,

Change is hard, especially when it involves a major move and a new job. I have made a handful of moves over the years and met new friends and found new interests. We never know what tomorrow brings. Before an unscheduled retirement I worked at the local nuke power plant. They were downsizing the work force and a handful of people close to me were laid off. Each one faced the future with some fear since they had been in one place for years and had well paying jobs that they were comfortable with. Amazingly one after another they were able to find far better positions than the ones they left! Things have a way of working out.

I am a jack of all trades and a master of none but having a lot of small skills can be of some use. If you need a hand getting settled or with small issues in New Orleans I think JoeyA will vouch for me and I am only a few miles up the road. I am also a skilled resume polisher if you need someone to look at yours or help you put one together. That is something that I enjoy doing. I stick to the facts but I do polish the apple to the nth degree! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ultimately the mod's will decide but I don't think you did wrong posting an update on you and Smorg in the main forum. Many on here care and wouldn't see the message in the NPR section. Thanks a bunch for bringing us up to date.

Hu

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Hugs to all of you.

Barbara, you have a pretty huge network of people on here who care about you without even knowing you (not to mention the ones that do know you). If you need work, and it sounds like you do, I would recommend you use this network to your advantage. If you post up what you do, and what sort of experience and skills you have, I would be surprised if you didn't at least get a number of good leads.

-Andrew

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
hi smorgies wife...

thanks for keeping smorgie alive and well on AZB.

just know that so many of us were doug's friends - and we are your friends too.

just always remember that so many of us love to see a thread or post from "Smorgass Bored". it's in your hands now, but we will always love to see you/doug here.

just like 'it was' and hope it will 'always be'.

all the best,
smokey

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
Barbara,

Please, keep us posted on details of your move. Will you be moving around February 2010 or sooner?

S.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
If it were me in that situation I would keep ONLY the things that are most important and then I'd just set a match to everything else. Seriously.
MULLY
when I say "set a match" I mean get rid of everything and just move one

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
transitions in life are difficult, no matter what age you are. And when your alone they are even more difficult. However your not alone, you have a huge group of friends here that are more than glad to help you in many different ways. In doing so its keeping Smorg legacy going and helping you-who we care about. You can depend on AZ like any family member. Just ask, dont be shy. Some can do physical things because they are near by you, others can help you with words or a phone call. And other thing I cant think of off hand. So your entering a new chapter in life, embrace it-Smorg wouldnt want you to be sad and blue, he would want you to enjoy your self. I know its eaiser said than done-but were here to help.

my very best

eric petersen

702-241-8000

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said Eric. I believe that many of us wished that we were closer to Tampa. I miss him too and continue to pray for his family. It seems like so long ago (May 2001) when I met Doug at his weekly 9 ball tourney.

Paul Mon